SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Red Dots for Dummies-Handguns
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Red Dots for Dummies-Handguns Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Factory P226 slide with Romeo RDS.

I fully understand that configuration, but your original post was "Trijicon RMR on both" and "factory MOS". A Romeo is definitely not a Trijicon RMR... and afaik Sig does not have an MOS like replaceable plate for different optics system. When people are asking for advice I think its important to be precise. But maybe I misunderstood some part of your comments.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10996 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
quote:
Factory P226 slide with Romeo RDS.

I fully understand that configuration, but your original post was "Trijicon RMR on both" and "factory MOS". A Romeo is definitely not a Trijicon RMR... and afaik Sig does not have an MOS like replaceable plate for different optics system. When people are asking for advice I think its important to be precise. But maybe I misunderstood some part of your comments.

For some reason I thought I had an RMR on the Sig. The slide came with the Romeo sight. Trijicon makes an adapter plate for the P320, and there is a plethora of adapter plates for the optic ready P226.

P320 MOS adapter plate.

Multiple MOS plates for Sig pistols.

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Again for the benefit of those just learning. An adapter plate that replaces the rear sight is not the same as the Glock (and similar) MOS system. And they totally suck, the optic is up too high and you lose cowitnessed irons. And the P320 adapter plate is not an option for a 226 and an option for only a few models fo 320. Most you have to mill.
Bottom line, if you have a 226 and want an RMR you need to have the slide machined. Good news if you have the romeo version and want to use an RMR (way, way better) you can have it machined to fit both. Best choice for both those projects is L&M precision FWIW.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: hrcjon,

Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
For Sig 226 and 229 the RX slides that were floating around were a great deal at $329
It was like buy the Romeo1 and get a milled slide with suppressor sights for $30.
Otherwise it's $299 for a R1, $180 to get the slide cut and about $50 for some iron sights.
I got a 229RX and should have snagged a 226RX slide before they dried up.

Posts: 1477 | Location: Portland Oregon | Registered: October 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not One of
the Cool Kids
Picture of enidpd804
posted Hide Post
Holosun 507c or 508T. The have the same footprint as an RMR and after having purchased three of them and doing a few years worth of research I'm abandoning Trijicon.

Posts: 3911 | Location: OK | Registered: August 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
What I pick up the best is a 2-3 moa dot with a 65 moa circle. If that was made, I believe that I would get into pistol optics right now.

Posts: 21829 | Registered: October 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
I just dipped my feet into mrds and I wish I had done it years ago. I had a Glock 19 milled by Jagerwerks, I went with a Holoson 507c because of price and if I didn't like it, I wasn't out as much cash. The good thing is the Holoson and Trijicon RMR share the same footprint so I can always swap to an RMR. Also, the Holoson has 2 moa dot and also an Eotech type reticle as well and it comes in green.

Check out Sage Dynamics torture tests of RMR and Holosun optics.

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles

Posts: 3641 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SgtGold:
Factory P226 slide with Romeo RDS. I think I got it on a closeout from Sig.

[url=https://imageshack.com/i/pnZn6xn5j] [/url

quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
I am not aware of a factory 226 slide that takes an RMR so you will have to expand on what that is? There are lots of guns that there is not a factory MOS version and so you have to machine them. Its not a big deal at this point for most guns.

I got mine via caliber exchange kit from Sig. Suppressor height white dot sights was like 20 percent off. The legion version was more but had suppressor height night sights. Not sure if they are still offering them.

Posts: 1258 | Location: Duvall WA, USA | Registered: February 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prince of Cats
Picture of matthew03
posted Hide Post
I went with the 1 moa RMR2 red, I have an astigmatism; unless I’m in bright light the dot blooms larger for my eye. Here in the mountains of Virginia green is a no go, too much green in the background.

The platform I mounted it on is the G34.5 MOS, I did not use Glock mounting plates as they are a weak link. I used C and H Precision’s plate which supports the RMR much like a milled slide would. It also is slightly thinner than the MOS plates allowing normal suppressor height buis.

---------------------------------------
www.AppalachianConcealment.com

Posts: 6555 | Location: S.W. Virginia | Registered: March 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Imagination and focus
become reality
posted Hide Post
I have a Delta Point Pro 2.5 MOA on my M&P C.O.R.E. Pro and it works for me. I also have a Vortex Venom on my Ruger Mk IV. It works well also. Those are just another couple of options for you. If you are looking for less expensive then the Vortex Venom is a pretty good RDS for the price.

Posts: 6616 | Location: Northwest Indiana | Registered: August 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Anybody using Burris Fastfire models? Pricewise they might be a good entry level red dot.

Bill Gullette

Posts: 1526 | Location: Behind the Pine Curtain  | Registered: March 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrmn50:
What I pick up the best is a 2-3 moa dot with a 65 moa circle. If that was made, I believe that I would get into pistol optics right now.

Hal,

Holosun does a 2 MOA dot with 32 MOA circle on the 507C. I think the 32 MOA circle is more befitting a pistok red dot because of the small window size (compared to, say, an EOTech) and how far you hold the gun from your eye.

Posts: 5160 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BGULL:
Anybody using Burris Fastfire models? Pricewise they might be a good entry level red dot.

I use a Burris on one of my .38 Glocks. Works great and hasn't lost zero over several years. I think that chasing down the MOS plate number 5 was the only problem I had. Should be good to go.

I'd stay away from the dual illuminated Trijicon RMR. Couldn't see the dot in the day. Couldn't see the dot at night. Couldn't see why I paid so much for a piece of garbage. Lucky for me, I was able to return it.

Posts: 9142 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not One of
the Cool Kids
Picture of enidpd804
posted Hide Post
quote:

I have one. It’s a good dot for target stuff. My wife used it in our pistol league for a few thousand rounds. I would not trust it’s durability for serious work though.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: enidpd804,

Posts: 3911 | Location: OK | Registered: August 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by enidpd804:
quote:

I have one. It’s a good dot for target stuff. My wife used it in our pistol league for a few thousand rounds. I would not trust it’s durability for serious work though.

What's your concern about durability? The construction or? If you and your wife have several thousand rounds history albeit target range use and not duty use, that's one measure or indication of satisfactory longer term performance. Thanks

Bill Gullette

Posts: 1526 | Location: Behind the Pine Curtain  | Registered: March 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't know exactly a good test for (non combat) durability. But I see all kinds of guns running all kinds of dots each week at our local steel matches. And one of the options that goes down way more often is the Burris. Joined mostly by the Sig Romeo.
I've never seen an RMR go down, nor an aimpoint, nor actually a cmore (but those are not slide mounted so not the same). FWIW.

Not One of
the Cool Kids
Picture of enidpd804
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by enidpd804:
quote:

What's your concern about durability? The construction or? If you and your wife have several thousand rounds history albeit target range use and not duty use, that's one measure or indication of satisfactory longer term performance. Thanks

The construction. I think it will handle shooting but not impact. Check out Sage Dynamics.

Picture of GroundedCLK
posted Hide Post
I have several red dots including Sig, Holosun, Vortex and Trijicon.

My favorite out of all them is the Trijicon RMR Type 2 6.5MOA for these exact reasons.

The brightness auto adjusts to the environment.

6.5 MOA is awesome, requires very little to no aiming on all close targets.

At 100 yards on a silhouette I am 9/10 shots.

Battery life is great.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: GroundedCLK,

Posts: 1843 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: January 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GroundedCLK:
I have several red dots including Sig, Holosun, Vortex and Trijicon.

My favorite out of all them is the Trijicon RMR Type 2 6.5MOA for these exact reasons.

The brightness auto adjusts to the environment.

Automatically turns on during my draw.

6.5 MOA is awesome, requires very little to no aiming on all close targets.

At 100 yards on a silhouette I am 9/10 shots.

Battery life is great.

Not calling you out but I had an issue with autobrightness when shooting in a dark room. Going from holster to pitch black room to x300U made the dot too dim to pick up. It corrected but after I broke the shot through irons. You may have already tried it with success but I have taken my dots out of autobright for carry. YMMV

Posts: 3044 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm 100% in agreement on the above. RMR Auto is not capable of much. I've tested this a bunch and simply it is not a workable solution to everyday stuff. Heck you don't need a dark room, at our range in the early am the target is in the shadows and you are bathed in sunlight. Unusable.