SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Another S&W wheelgun followed me home
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Another S&W wheelgun followed me home Login/Join 
Picture of PGT
posted
This time, a model I knew nothing about; a Mod. 547. It's an interesting design....6-shot 9mm K-frame and no need for moon clips. Apparently, S&W developed it for the French police in the 1980's but they decided to stick with their trusty Manhurin MR73's.

Posts: 3079 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Haven’t seen one of those in a long time. Nice score amigo

Posts: 13806 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wish that I still had the one that I bought new.

Posts: 237 | Location: PA | Registered: January 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
One of my grail guns...lucky SOB

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dewhorse:
One of my grail guns...lucky SOB

Same..... Congrats on a great wheel gun!!!!!!

Posts: 246 | Location: Chicago Area | Registered: November 16, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
Guess I'm glad I went back for it. I looked at it Friday afternoon while picking up another firearm that I had on hold and then texted the shop manager later that evening asking him to put the 547 aside for me.

posted Hide Post
Very neat! I've never seen one in the flesh - and probably never will. Enjoy it and let us know how it shoots.

Jerry

Posts: 158 | Location: Oregon | Registered: November 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great find. The 3" is awesome. I see them occasionally but never in that condition. If you shoot it please report. As an aside, when you see the craftsmanship on one of those, you can see why everything is about plastic now. You can probably stamp out 100 M&P's in the time it takes to make one of those

Posts: 539 | Registered: August 09, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Very cool! I've always been intrigued by these, but never had the opportunity to handle one. I'd have a hard time not buying one if I found it in a shop. Question...how does one get around hanging up the cartridges on the little ejector nubs when loading the gun? Do they only extend out when the ejector rod is depressed? I take it there's also a ridge inside the cylinder for the 9mm cartridge rim to headspace on?

Posts: 8541 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who Woulda
Ever Thought?
posted Hide Post
Nice! I've never met a K frame that I didn't like.

Posts: 6587 | Registered: August 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very cool! I have both the round butt and square. BTW, check out speed-loader prices.

Vince

Posts: 307 | Registered: July 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back in Black
posted Hide Post
Sweet. I had a nice 3" that I let go some time ago. Amazing craftsmanship. Recoil of the 9mm is surprising.

Posts: 1147 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: January 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tooky13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
Question...how does one get around hanging up the cartridges on the little ejector nubs when loading the gun? Do they only extend out when the ejector rod is depressed? I take it there's also a ridge inside the cylinder for the 9mm cartridge rim to headspace on?

Here's a 'Hickock45' video where he shows how the 9mm is retained without a moonclip. You can see why they probably stopped making them, very involved and probably expensive to build:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHd3D1GqNJA

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Tooky13,

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.
Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1308 | Location: Scottsdale, Arizona | Registered: December 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
Apparently the most expensive Smith to make, back in the day

Cogito Ergo Sum
posted Hide Post
I love my 547 I bought new back in the 80’s. Took it everywhere with me. Very accurate and a joy to shoot. Will have to take it out shooting more now that I have the time.

Posts: 5694 | Registered: August 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Great Equalizer
Picture of colt_saa
posted Hide Post
VERY Nice

That one is much prettier than my old shooter

------------------------------------------------------------------
NRA Benefactor . . . Certified Instructor . . . Certified RSO
SWCA

356TSW.com
45talk.com
RacingPlanetUSA.Com

Posts: 5179 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
with 9mm being as cheap as it is, and .38 SP being as expensive as it is, I'd love to have one of those as a plinker.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10905 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Old Vark WSO
posted Hide Post
I had the opportunity to handle one of these a few years ago at the LGS. Not as nice as this one, and the asking price was steep, so I passed. The store owner told me his version of the origins of this revolver - and matches what I found on another website:

"In the late 1970's, the Israelis wanted to arm the Palestinian Police force with a 9mm handgun, but didn't trust them with an autoloading pistol. Instead, they wanted a simple-to-use revolver chambered in 9mm (and by "simple-to-use", they meant "no-moon-clips"). They contracted with Smith & Wesson to make it for them."

The Israelis cancelled the contract and S&W sold the remaining 547s to the gun buying public. I have quite a few S&W revolvers and this would have been a nice add to the collection - maybe next time.

Posts: 75 | Location: Biggest Little City in the World | Registered: January 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
3° that never cooled
Picture of rock185
posted Hide Post
Neat! I bought a new 3" 547 back when they were in production, another LNIB 547 at a gun show years ago. Those revolvers worked as designed with any of the, quite a few, different types of factory and hand loaded ammo I used. That ingenious and expensive ratchet/ejection system worked perfectly, even with the higher pressure NATO, +P, and +P+ ammo.

Of course, I failed to perceive that in the fullness of time, the 547s would become desirable and expensive collectors itemsWink

NRA Life

Posts: 1563 | Location: Under the Tonto Rim | Registered: August 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
Great find on a cool revolver.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11762 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post