SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Seeking recommendations for J-Frame aftermarket stocks
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Seeking recommendations for J-Frame aftermarket stocks Login/Join 
Picture of wrightd
posted
I've been carrying a j-frame with the factory stocks. The gun conceals great in my front pocket, but I'd like to find some stocks that 1) add something between the web of my hand and the back strap, to increase control and pointability, and 2) must still be small enough to carry in my front pocket in a pocket holster.

I've seen larger/nicer stocks for j-frames on the web, but some of them look too big to stuff into a pocket in a way that doesn't impede a smooth draw.

What do you recommend or have used for this situation ?

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8679 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You might try the old school "service" stocks in combination with a Tylers T-grip.
That's as small as would care to go.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16088 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use VZ Grips. They look like Speigel boot grips. These make the revolver controllable without adding to much bulk.

Posts: 45 | Registered: June 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You're going to have a difficult time finding a grip that covers the backstrap but is still compact enough for pocket holster carry.

I believe Crimson Trace at one time offered a compact boot-style grip that might fit the bill.

I have heard of some people taking the grip from a Taurus compact revolver (I don't know what model...equivalent to a J-frame) that was a boot-style grip, cut to the length of the grip frame but covering the backstrap.

Another one I'll mention is one I've tried and didn't care for, but it may suit you. It's been referred to as the Werner Carry System, for Claude Werner. Basically, it's a Barami Hip-Grip with a Tyler T-Grip adapter, and an upside-down Hogue Handall Jr. rubber grip sleeve over both. I mention this one because the rubber grip sleeve option would cover at least some of the backstrap.

You could put something like a slip-on rubber grip, piece of inner tube, or tennis racket grip tape over the grip area you want covered. Old school snub carriers used to wrap the grip with rubber bands. Wouldn't be my first choice, but it might be an inexpensive way to experiment and see if it would work for you.

As for grips that I would recommend, they all have exposed backstraps...

My favorite is the Spegel boot grip. I have it on my 642-1. It fills the hand nicely without being bulky. Unfortunately, he has a long wait list, which just recently went to less than 1 year.

For a good, compact grip that won't bust the budget you can check out the PGS Hideout grips available from Brownells. I like the smooth, non-finger-groove version. I have them on my 642 no-dash. Runs about $20. Only downside is that it doesn't work with speedloaders unless you alter the grip panel (I attacked mine with files and sandpaper as I don't have a Dremel tool).

As YooperSigs mentioned, magnas + Tyler T-Grip adapters work for a lot of people. I personally didn't care for that combo when I tried it but it works well for a lot of people.

Hope that helps.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." Sherlock Holmes

Posts: 1286 | Registered: February 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
I put these on my 642. They help a lot as far as shootability and recoil, but I carry in a belt holster. I've had it in the front pocket of my jeans a few times, and it does get in there but I'll admit it's a bit tight.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pizza Bob
posted Hide Post
I have Ergo Delta grips on my 638. They are relatively narrow and cover the backstrap. Give you much more to grab onto without encumbering the ability to pocket carry. Makes the gun much more pleasant to shoot, too.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

NRA Benefactor Member

Posts: 1449 | Location: Central NJ | Registered: January 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just mobilize it
posted Hide Post
I have CT laser grips on mine. They are perfect. I believe they are the LG-405's or something close to it.

Posts: 4611 | Registered: July 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JAFO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LincolnSixEcho:
I have CT laser grips on mine. They are perfect. I believe they are the LG-405's or something close to it.

405's would be the one you want to look at from CT.
https://www.crimsontrace.com/p...e/lasergrips/01-1680

I have 305's on mine. They give you more to hold onto, but they are too long for a front pocket.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><>
"I drank what?" - Socrates

Posts: 5181 | Location: S.A., TX | Registered: July 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
I have Pachmayr rubber grips on bith my J frames. They are thicker and longer than stock, but they cover the backstrap. I don't have any issues with the draw stroke because the grip is covered by my hand and doesn't snag.

Posts: 7073 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prince of Cats
Picture of matthew03
posted Hide Post
Eagle Secret Service Boot grips are what I like on J frames. Slicker than rubber for pocket carry, but very nice in the hand

---------------------------------------
www.AppalachianConcealment.com

Posts: 6555 | Location: S.W. Virginia | Registered: March 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
A conceal carry j-frame should have Crimson Trace LG-405 grips on it.

Posts: 6661 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I forgot about the Eagle Secret Service grips. They're a good alternative to Spegel boot grips. I have an older set, but they don't clear speedloaders; I didn't want to alter them so I swapped them out for PGS Hideout grips, which I didn't mind altering since they're only $20. The current versions of the Eagle Secret Service grips are relieved for speedloader clearance, if that matters.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." Sherlock Holmes

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryarnaud:
I have heard of some people taking the grip from a Taurus compact revolver (I don't know what model...equivalent to a J-frame) that was a boot-style grip, cut to the length of the grip frame but covering the backstrap.

I believe it's the Taurus 85. People buy takeoffs from eBay and modify them slightly to fit the RB J frame. If you fuck it up you're prolly only out $10. Although I didn't check eBay for either price or availability.

Posts: 1071 | Location: Cary NC | Registered: July 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
http://www.brownells.com/handg...-grips-prod9924.aspx

No backstrap coverage but, these are dirt cheap, you can sand or stipple them to your preferences. And, they don't stick in your pocket. Hard nylon.

Posts: 882 | Location: High desert. Nevada | Registered: April 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sgt 127:
http://www.brownells.com/handg...-grips-prod9924.aspx

No backstrap coverage but, these are dirt cheap, you can sand or stipple them to your preferences. And, they don't stick in your pocket. Hard nylon.

Yup. That's what I have on my 642 no-dash.

We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
CT should really make the LG405 grip without the laser as an option. That's a great grip.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NavyGuy:
I put these on my 642. They help a lot as far as shootability and recoil, but I carry in a belt holster. I've had it in the front pocket of my jeans a few times, and it does get in there but I'll admit it's a bit tight.

What brand IS that ?

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8679 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
What brand IS that ?

Altamont. Silver black Checkered with Fleur-de-Lis

Link

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a pair of the Altamont Silverback with crocback stippling. SJR-BF06-CB

https://www.altamontco.com/pis...-and-wesson/j-round/

Posts: 133 | Location: Westfield, IN | Registered: June 04, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Learn it, know it, live it
Picture of 1lowlife
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JAFO:
quote:
Originally posted by LincolnSixEcho:

405's would be the one you want to look at from CT.
https://www.crimsontrace.com/p...e/lasergrips/01-1680

I have 305's on mine. They give you more to hold onto, but they are too long for a front pocket.

I had the LG 405s on my 642.
The little rubber 'pocket' on the top of backstrap made for comfortable shooting.
Whether you want/need the laser or not, they are nice grips.

Posts: 4360 | Location: Great State of TEXAS | Registered: July 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post