SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Got my C&R
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Got my C&R Login/Join 
posted
So I've got my C&R and my state allows C&Rs to accept shipments to my door on the 23rd. I have a Dreyse 1907 coming to celebrate. I've discovered a love for mechanically complex European pistols. I mean, Rube Goldbergian in their complexity (though certainly not useless). I am currently hunting for a Steyr 1907 Steyr Hahn, 1897 takedown in 12 ga and an Astra 300 or 3000. I've been watching a lot of CNRsenal on youtube of late so maybe that has something to do with it.

I am curious, I'm looking at a lot of the ammo and a bunch of it isn't practical as far as ownership between 8x19 and 9x23 etc. If anyone has a taste for the same kind of guns, do you find you shoot and just reload for the wacky obsolete calibers? Neither of the above seem too difficult to load for toady.

Posts: 3044 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of msfzoe
posted Hide Post
I held a C&R license for 6 years.
It proved to be the most expensive $30 × 2 I ever spent.

Posts: 2422 | Location: newyorkistan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can easily see how that would be. Though if I think about all the transfer fees that's atleast another gun. But of course there goes the savings.

Posts: 3044 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truckin' On
Picture of AH.74
posted Hide Post
I've had mine for several years. You can only accept shipments one day per month?

Posts: 7344 | Location: Hermit’s Peak | Registered: November 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AH.74:
I've had mine for several years. You can only accept shipments one day per month?

You can accept a dozen a day if you have the resources.

Posts: 937 | Location: WV | Registered: May 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I've had my C&R for over 10 years. Just renewed mine again, in fact. It's a great deal, because as long as you buy more than one C&R-eligible firearm every 3 years, the license more than pays for itself in transfer fee savings alone.

For oddball/obsolete milsurp calibers, reloading is definitely your best bet. There's sometimes premade brass available in odd surplus calibers, or you can often find directions online for making your own brass by forming and trimming brass from a different caliber.

Personally, I now steer clear of the oddball calibers. When I first got my C&R, I snatched up anything that was interesting and/or a good deal. But I realized several years ago that my "collection" had become more of an "accumulation", and the number of calibers that I had to stock if I wanted to shoot them was spiraling out of control.

So I narrowed my focus, and sold off my extraneous milsurps, especially the ones with odd calibers. Now my focus is primarily 1910s-1950s-era (WW1/WW2/Immediate Postwar) rifles from the US, the British Commonwealth, Germany, Finland, and the Soviet Union. And I only have to keep a handful of relatively common calibers on hand for my C&R collection: .30-60, .30 Carbine. 7.62x51, .303, 8mm Mauser, 7.62x54R, and 7.62x39.

quote:
Originally posted by AH.74:
You can only accept shipments one day per month?

OP lives in Washington State. Their last round of wacky anti-gun laws a couple years ago made it so that all firearms purchases or transfers had to have a background check, requiring the assistance of a dealer to fill out a 4403 and run a NICS check.

It seems there was no exception for C&R FFLs, who aren't dealers, and who can't do NICS checks. They were treated just like any other gun buyer. So even C&R holders had to do transfers through their local dealer. This had basically invalidated the usefulness of a C&R in Washington state.

However, it seems a bill was just passed that changed the wording to allow C&R firearms to be shipped directly to a C&R holder in WA with no additional background check required. It's been signed into law, and goes into effect on July 23rd.

Thus his statement that "my state allows C&Rs to accept shipments to my door on the 23rd". It's not that he can only accept C&R shipments on the 23rd of the month. Wink

Posts: 32508 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yep that's exactly it, sorry if I didn't make that clear but fortunately it's ironed out and in effect on the 23rd. I feel like the old law made c&r ok but with that said, I wasn't going to be the test case.

I'm much the same, interested mostly in the WW1 and up guns. The craftsmanship on some of them are incredible. I grabbed an Astra 600 not long ago on a regular transfer and it's a fantastic and incredibly accurate pistol. There's some real quality and history in the 1900-1950 date range for sure.

Picture of 2tonicP220
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Anubismp:
I'm much the same, interested mostly in the WW1 and up guns. The craftsmanship on some of them are incredible.

It is simply amazing, simply amazing. I look at the fitting done on many of these firearms, and It boggles the mind how well it was done... On a massive scale to boot. These folks were the truest sense of master craftsman, and I doubt we will ever see it like this again.

BTW, make sure to hit up every site you can think of for an FFL discount. MidwayUSA used to honor it, but no longer as I recall. Brownells, GPC, CDNN, Graf & sons, and other will, and it can really add up. I love having an 03 FFL, and so will you... Your bank account, not so much.

Posts: 2049 | Location: NW PA | Registered: March 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2tonicP220:
BTW, make sure to hit up every site you can think of for an FFL discount. MidwayUSA used to honor it, but no longer as I recall. Brownells, GPC, CDNN, Graf & sons, and other will, and it can really add up.

Numrich also offers a C&R discount.

Which comes in handy, since they're the place most likely to have parts in stock to fix your C&R guns.

Posts: 32508 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2tonicP220
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
Originally posted by 2tonicP220:
BTW, make sure to hit up every site you can think of for an FFL discount. MidwayUSA used to honor it, but no longer as I recall. Brownells, GPC, CDNN, Graf & sons, and other will, and it can really add up.

Numrich also offers a C&R discount.

Which comes in handy, since they're the place most likely to have parts in stock to fix your C&R guns.

They sure do... For brevity, I called it GPC.

www.gunpartscorp.com

Sure a lot better and faster than when I first dealt with them, 30 years ago. Glad to see numerous other military surplus weapons parts dealers, thanks to the web. Springfield Sporters is a great one too, and a bunch of others.

Posts: 2049 | Location: NW PA | Registered: March 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of inspcalahan
posted Hide Post
I picked up my C&R last fall. It was literally less than one month for the approval after I mailed in all my papers.

Then I couldn't find anything I wanted, but was happy to have it. Somehow, there are now 5 more rifles in the safe that I didn't know I wanted or need...... coolest part is having the box to open at your house when you get home!

Posts: 823 | Location: Alaska | Registered: April 29, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2tonicP220
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by inspcalahan:
coolest part is having the box to open at your house when you get home!

That's the magic, ain't it... Especially handguns.

posted Hide Post
Thanks for the heads up about the discounts, I didn't know about that. As far as parts I'm interested to see how many will fit as it seems more small parts were hand fit back in the long long ago.