SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Flork's Lubrication Recommendation
Page 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... 30
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Flork's Lubrication Recommendation Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by emmee:
So where exactly is the 'dust cover' on a Sig?
It's the protruding portion of the frame, forward of the trigger guard. It's called a dust cover because this portion of the frame serves to cover the recoil spring.

Posts: 107558 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You are entering
a world of pain
Picture of HELIGOOD
posted Hide Post
Another waiting for the Glock info.....Thanks Flork!

JEFFREY C JOHNSON, Jr.

Posts: 3449 | Location: Is this heaven? No it's IOWA! | Registered: November 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've never seen a Sig yet that did not work better with a lot of lube,(I too apply grease to rails, cycle it a bunch of times and wipe off the excess).
I grease the rails and use CLP on the other parts.
I clean after every session at the range, or every couple of weeks. Never had a problem.
(I have shot with guys who had their guns wet with what looked like transmission fluid, and they never had a problem) My Sigs are pampered with White Lithium grease and CLP because they are carried everyday.

Posts: 16 | Location: N. Alabama | Registered: October 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flork:
As I said at the end of my original post, I'll be posting pics and info on lubrication of the rest of the guns as I have time.

Found that time yet? I have enjoyed part 1

Posts: 30 | Registered: July 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HELIGOOD:
Another waiting for the Glock info.....Thanks Flork!

+1

Posts: 124 | Location: Tampa Bay | Registered: February 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bds04f
posted Hide Post
Great info here. I don't think I have been using enough. Thanks for the tips.

"I think we're gonna need a bigger boat."

Posts: 348 | Location: Clearwater, FL | Registered: November 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Making friends,
influencing people
posted Hide Post
OK, I am a bit confused right now. You seem to have contradictory info on your website. I assume GGI is Grayguns Inc., right?

Your one article that this thread also has says to lube my gun with grease. I duty carry a Sig P226.

BUT...

Then you have an article on Service Pistol Maintenance and it says in that article:

"For on-duty use, your pistol should be lubricated with a light film of oil to insure reliable function on demand."

So should I put a light film of oil or lube the dang thing with grease?

Right now I like to clean and lube with the Ultrasonic cleaner and then put a thin film of oil on the rails and exterior of the barrel/chamber.

Should I be greasing the rails instead?

------------------------------------------
Have you seen a wolf in Michigan? Please report your sightings at Michigan Wolf Sightings

Posts: 2346 | Location: MI | Registered: November 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
grease to protect the rails during training, but not for duty carry as the grease will attract dirt...especially if you're not maintaining regularly

for a duty gun, put some Militec on the rails...the likelihood of having to fire more than a few rounds would not unduly wear the rails.

just be sure to grease up before putting a bunch of rounds through the gun.

for HD, i'd go ahead an grease up the gun

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14183 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staple Gun Extraordinaire!
Picture of sig-x
posted Hide Post
I used to use oil but after this thread I use a light grease on my rails and oil the barrel.

Posts: 9949 | Location: SE MI | Registered: November 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great thread, worth the read.

Posts: 40 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ergoproxy
posted Hide Post
Did some research on Lubriplate that is available at Brownell's the 130-A and went to Lubriplate website and found the

msds. Interesting read.

Posts: 1158 | Location: USA | Registered: December 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
I've had good luck w. super-lube not attracting dust, etc on my Rohrbaugh. (I've just recently started greasing my other guns -- the Rohrbaugh is the only one I carried extensively while greased.)

Posts: 5734 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Some ideas on the P250 would be great too!!

I no longer own guns

Posts: 385 | Registered: February 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Are there any synthetic (non-petroleum based) greases that are recommended for SIGs?

Also, are there any cleaners that do not emit noxious fumes? I've been using Hoppe's #9, but I need to wear a gas mask every time I clean.

TIA.

Posts: 830 | Registered: September 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hero
posted Hide Post
This thread has been very informative. I'm just getting back into shooting my SIGs a lot. I've got some Slide-Glide lite coming and I'm going to give it a try.

I, too, am interested in a post showing the other lube points for the SIG other than the rails.

Posts: 107 | Location: Northern Kentucky | Registered: December 29, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sundo:
Are there any synthetic (non-petroleum based) greases that are recommended for SIGs?

Also, are there any cleaners that do not emit noxious fumes? I've been using Hoppe's #9, but I need to wear a gas mask every time I clean.

TIA.

Yes, I would look into Prolix. It's a citrus based product and is absolutely amazing product. Get their CLP (Prolix) and their heavy oil, XTra-T lube. Link

Posts: 996 | Registered: June 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd vote for making this thread a sticky (or whatever they're called) - one that always appears at the top of the list.

Posts: 424 | Location: Missouri | Registered: September 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Marcuswendt
posted Hide Post
I've been a big proponent of using slide glide for at least a year or two now. Everyone I turn on to it becomes a convert.

Posts: 3770 | Registered: January 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am anxiously waiting for my P250 to arrive, this is my first Sig, so I am also curious as to what you recommend for the P250. I'm guessing pretty much the same as a Glock.

NRA Life Member

Posts: 89 | Location: OK | Registered: November 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HawkeyeJohn
posted Hide Post
Anyone here seen/read Grant Cunningham's article?

http://grantcunningham.com/lubricants101.html

Sorry, you'll have to cut & paste... I haven't figured out how to create a direct hyper-link - yet.

Opinions would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance, Hawkeye

Posts: 383 | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post