SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Flork's Lubrication Recommendation
Page 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 30
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Flork's Lubrication Recommendation Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
TW25 also doesn't work well in the cold. Like 40 and under it breaks down and gets nasty and seperates. I left a pistol out once for a while in the cold during winter and the grease turned into taffy. I was really suprised at how bad it stuck.

If I were you, I'd also stick to oil on AR's. You want the oil to run in that thing and run out if anything. You don't want to create a super sticky slug of fouled up greasy nastiness. But that's primarily because it fouls itself. AK bolts however get grease.

Posts: 4668 | Location: Marysville, WA | Registered: May 29, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sig229steve:
quote:
Originally posted by quattro_joe:
I believe that both Bruce, and Flork are not fans of TW25B as it is not viscous enough. I know that is the case on Alloy frame SIGs, not sure about Stainless Sigs.

Bruce Comments on TW25B

I'm glad to know that we've got advisors that know more than Sig Sauer about their own products! (Sarcasm)

From reading posts by both Bruce and Flork over the last five years, I think that is indeed true. I've never read posts by either that in any or my research online has disagreed with. (from any credible source at least)

I both enjoy and value their input on the many topics discussed here. Based on their track record, i take their advice.

Thanks again Flork for this guide.

Kevin

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of barnaby
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KeithY:
Based on my experience with aircraft, you'd be amazed about what the factory doesn't know. They simply don't use their product to the extent or in ways customers do. Typically, the engineering staff focuses on new products, minimizing production problems, reducing costs, etc. rather than on maintenance. On the other hand, even the most knowledgeable/gifted technicians (who should know) are often simply ignored by management . . . YMMV.

Exactly .. Customers will use a product in ways engineering and marketing never planned for or understand.

Want to know how a product really works? Call the folks that support the product. Or in this case those that have made a successful business out of making a good thing better.

barnaby

Posts: 715 | Location: NC | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Flork,

Thanks for the post! It makes me feel much better about how I've been treating my 229. In fact, I may print it out and keep it in my range bag; about every other trip to the range, some goob I don't even know will see fit to tell me I'm using too much lube on my 229.

Although I don't use a syringe, I apply a skosh less SlideGlide medium in the same distribution as shown in your pix. I was nervous about possibly using too much, but your post has cured me of that worry. I also apply it to the barrel exterior and locking lugs, the recoil spring, the locking insert, and springs. I also relube the rails whenever I swap my barrels and recoil springs (they're also lubed up in advance) at the range.

Since the 229 is also my EDC, the only thing I do different when lubing for carry is that I cycle the slide a bunch of times, wipe off any grease that shows up (usually at the back, sometimes along the sides), and off I go. So far, no problems with the lube attracting crud, but then, I wipe down the pistol with a silicon impregnated cloth every evening, too (I worry about the humid, salt air here in Tidewater). Maybe I'm a tad too meticulous, eh?

I'm looking forward to future installments... keep 'em coming!!

-------------------
Anything is possible if you don't know what you're talking about!

Arthur Bloch
Sig P229 Elite .40 S&W residing in a VM-2, + BarSto 9mm conversion barrel

Posts: 762 | Location: SE Virginia | Registered: January 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of seabass
posted Hide Post
I also like to use plastilube grease.

Posts: 1139 | Location: CA | Registered: July 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BamaSigger
posted Hide Post
As a new owner of a used Sig, I am so glad to find this thread. The pics were tremendously informative....you promised more :grin:

So my plan of using WD-40 ain't so hot, eh?

Posts: 1459 | Location: Not as far South as I'd like to be | Registered: August 19, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of drew0002
posted Hide Post
Flork, can you comment on viscosety. I am in warm climate but it gets below 30 in winter so do ineed to change grease in winter? Or is the slide glide lite a good allyear round grease?
By the way thanks for this post!

Posts: 386 | Location: D-ville | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Flork
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BamaSigger:
So my plan of using WD-40 ain't so hot, eh?

Well.....If you soak your bullets in WD 40 you'll have a good time with FTF drills..... Razz

------------------------------
-------------------------------------------
Scott @ Apex
"Own enough guns that your wife will never notice a gun or 2 being added or taken away from the collection."
Leonard Novak - "Thee Gambler" (SASS)
------------------------------------------------

My guides to Sig Lubrication: http://www.apextactical.com/bl...-sauer-pistol-rails/

http://www.apextactical.com/bl...nternal-lubrication/

Posts: 3489 | Location: Apex Tactical Specialties - Peoria, AZ | Registered: June 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Flork
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by drew0002:
Flork, can you comment on viscosety. I am in warm climate but it gets below 30 in winter so do ineed to change grease in winter? Or is the slide glide lite a good allyear round grease?
By the way thanks for this post!

Generally the Slide Glide Lite is one that can be used year round. It all depends on circumstance and environment.

Scott @ Apex
"Own enough guns that your wife will never notice a gun or 2 being added or taken away from the collection."

My guides to Sig Lubrication: http://www.apextactical.com/bl...-sauer-pistol-rails/

Posts: 3489 | Location: Apex Tactical Specialties - Peoria, AZ | Registered: June 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Flork, do you have any experience with Redding's Imperial Action Wax?

http://www.redding-reloading.c...es/impactionwax.html

It is a parafin based grease that shouldn't be as messy as the petroleum based greases. I use Imperial resizing wax for all my reloading needs and have always wondered about their "Action Wax".

-------------------

Posts: 847 | Location: Washington State | Registered: September 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Why is it my glock 17 never needs grease, and seems to fire dirty or clean, wet or dry?

Posts: 306 | Location: Arizona | Registered: May 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Imagination and focus
become reality
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Red Baron:
Why is it my glock 17 never needs grease, and seems to fire dirty or clean, wet or dry?

For the same reason my HKs, Colts, Walthers, and SIG never need grease. It's not necessary.

Posts: 6606 | Location: Northwest Indiana | Registered: August 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:

the same reason you can do that with a AK-47...it was built loose enough to begin with. the Glock 17 is indeed the AK-47 of the pistol world Wink

actually, comparing the lubrication needs of an alloy framed pistol and a polymer framed one is somewhat unproductive...and OT too

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14175 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ogie:
quote:

For the same reason my HKs, Colts, Walthers, and SIG never need grease. It's not necessary.

Ya, that's why Glock puts grease on all thier pistols before they leave the factory. Mmhmm.

Posts: 4668 | Location: Marysville, WA | Registered: May 29, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ok you sold me. Spent Sunday afternoon field stripping
and greasing Sigs. Thanks for sharing the information!!

Posts: 403 | Location: Just far enough outside of Dallas. | Registered: January 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Flork
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 221FB:
Flork, do you have any experience with Redding's Imperial Action Wax?

http://www.redding-reloading.c...es/impactionwax.html

It is a parafin based grease that shouldn't be as messy as the petroleum based greases. I use Imperial resizing wax for all my reloading needs and have always wondered about their "Action Wax".

Never tried it.

Scott @ Apex

Picture of Flork
posted Hide Post
quote:

You're joking right?

The most critical part of a Glock is the disconnector, the trigger had a large amount of surface area that rubs on the disconnector which requires grease to keep properly lubricated.

We've seen a Glock come in that was never lubed...the trigger bar and cisconnector were friction welded together due to lack of grease.

Scott @ Apex

quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TheEgg:
Ok you sold me. Spent Sunday afternoon field stripping and greasing Sigs. Thanks for sharing the information!!
Nothing magical or new about putting grease on rails. Wiping out the oil from the rail with a q-tip and reapplying some grease should only take all of 5 minutes ~ not an afternoon. Use what works best for you and your circumstances. .02

Posts: 22857 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In 'greasing' the SP-2022 (ie. poly-frame and abbreviated slide rails)... what's recommended?... rails AND slide... just slide... rails?
Been doing BOTH, asssuming that shouldn't be a problem.
Thanks

A couple of SIGs and some others...

Posts: 979 | Location: Ohio | Registered: May 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Wiping out the oil from the rail with a q-tip and reapplying some grease should only take all of 5 minutes ~ not an afternoon.

Two points:

1. You have never seen the inside of my gunsafe, right? Even if I can do it as fast as you say, 34 pistols X 5 minutes = 170 minutes = 2.83 hours. Seems to me that takes up most of a Sunday afternoon.
2. More importantly, it seemed to me to be a wonderful excuse to fondle work on some guns -- you don't want to rush something like that, you know! Wink

Posts: 403 | Location: Just far enough outside of Dallas. | Registered: January 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post