SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Flork's Lubrication Recommendation
Page 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... 30
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Flork's Lubrication Recommendation Login/Join 
Picture of Austerity
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Watson:
Austerity:
The problem with black grease is that it might be less noticeable when a little excess oozes out on a blue gun, but it is going to be very noticeable on hands and clothes. And a lot harder to get off. I still have some of the old Gunslick graphited grease and an industrial lube with MoS2 and seldom use them because they stain so badly. I use Lubriplate or regular re-oiling.

Great point. I guess I will stick with the Lubriplate, I know it works, I know where to get it, and its cheap! Thanks

------------------------
"...to disarm the people - that was the best and most effectual way to enslave them." - George Mason

Posts: 1228 | Location: Evans, GA | Registered: September 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow! That's a lot of grease.

Posts: 8 | Registered: September 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Flork,

Are you sure you're not in business with Brian Enos?Smile That sure is a whole lot of grease. I, like 99% of the readers, have not been putting enough on my rails. That's going to change tomorrow as I'm going to regrease all my Sigs. I've wanted to try Brian Enos grease ever since I watched several really good YouTube vids on the subject. Thanks for the quality information with the pics.

Posts: 90 | Registered: December 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Flork,

Perhaps you covered this already, but what is your recommendation regarding magazine lubrication. Do you oil/grease the spring and/or the outside?

Thanks.

Proud owner of a Sig P228

Posts: 31 | Registered: September 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flork:
Part 2 is up. Sorry for the crummy pics, my good camera is broken so I'm stuck with one that doesn't seem to like me.

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...0601935/m/7260081812

This link appears to be broken now, but I assume it was his guide on lubricating the internals.

Anybody know if this is archived somewhere?

Posts: 314 | Registered: October 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So for those of us who may never detail strip a gun, what's recommended for internal lubrication?

Posts: 314 | Registered: October 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nsyriot
posted Hide Post
Great stuff, thanks for the lesson!. Do you recommend the same treatment for brand-new, just out of the box, never been used yet pieces? I have a "virgin" P226 Navy that is my pride and joy.

Sig P226 Navy
Sig Pro SP 2009

Posts: 29 | Location: Henderson, NV | Registered: September 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm one of those guys who has been putting oil on my guns because...well....that's what my dad taught me to do 40 years ago.

So last night, I tore down both 226s. Before doing that, I racked the slides several times and noted how it felt.

A healthy dose of high-temp lithium wheel bearing grease, followed by a good clean up of all the excess.

It was as if I had replaced the slides on my Sigs with a stick of butter.

A pair of 1911s immediately followed....

Posts: 13 | Location: Indy | Registered: November 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just cleaned my Sigs and lubed them with Slide Glide and am totally impressed with the stuff.

P228 German
Mosquito

Posts: 122 | Registered: July 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Animis Opibusque Parati
posted Hide Post
Thanks for this link. These tips are great!

"Prepared in mind and resources"

Posts: 1353 | Location: SC | Registered: October 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Flork, what do you think about ballistol as a lube ?

They say that a man with revenge in his heart should dig two graves. One for his enemy and one for himself. - Jonah Hex

Posts: 122 | Location: Las Vegas, Nevada | Registered: July 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The real problem with using that much grease is the excess amount that is used ends up flying back at your hands, clothes and face. So if you don't mind wearing a bunch of grease....go for it! Eek

Posts: 1 | Registered: December 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cleaning question - totally confused now:

What I normally do:

Brush to frame and sides, and magazine well.
Wipe down with clean cloth.
Wipe down with clean cloth with 91% alcohol (only on slide and frame - not on internal parts)
After the alcohol dries, apply oil with Q-tip.
Run 3 drops of oil on each side of back of slide, then place vertically front down so oil drains out of the back of the slide.
Grease frame rails and slide with TW25B grease.
Rack slide 10x to spread grease.

2 major questions:

Is using alcohol bad ?
Should I only use grease and not use the oil before applying grease ?

Thanks - new shooter. Sig P226 .40 S&W for 2+ months.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Brewer3401,

Posts: 157 | Location: Southeast Louisiana | Registered: November 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hulk2k11:
quote:
Originally posted by Flork:
Part 2 is up. Sorry for the crummy pics, my good camera is broken so I'm stuck with one that doesn't seem to like me.

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...0601935/m/7260081812

This link appears to be broken now, but I assume it was his guide on lubricating the internals.

Anybody know if this is archived somewhere?

http://www.apextactical.com/bl...nternal-lubrication/

Posts: 133 | Registered: December 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Flork for the pics and info! I have been a shooter for 35 years or so and just got my 1st Sig. I opted for the new 226R extreme. I love the fit, feel and finish on this gun. I am very thankful that I read this before shooting my new gun! I noticed the factory lube was rather light. And I think I've got just about enough now that she'll never notice a new 229!!!!!:-)

Posts: 25 | Location: The Hollar  | Registered: January 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
was going through my lube can and opened up a cup of grease I bought about 20 years ago but never used it in a long time. The label had fallen off but I remember it is RIG FOR STAINLESS STEEL. Does anyone know its composition and if grease goes bad from oxidation over that length of time? Its a lot darker brown color than when I bought it.

Posts: 705 | Registered: April 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you really want to use grease try this one:
http://www.exxonmobil.com/USA-...MMobilgrease_28.aspx

I would not load up the rails with it Flork notwithstanding. Just apply a thin film to the mating surfaces.

Clean the surfaces with a real solvent like acetone, denatured alcohol, brake cleaner or Stoddard solvent (odorless paint thinner) - not rubbing alcohol - before applying the grease.

Posts: 41 | Registered: April 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DBR:
Clean the surfaces with a real solvent like acetone, denatured alcohol, brake cleaner or Stoddard solvent (odorless paint thinner) - not rubbing alcohol - before applying the grease.

Not rubbing alcohol because of the water in it?

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8336 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, normal rubbing alcohol is only 70% alc and it often has other things in it. Even the 99% isopropyl alcohol that is available at pharmacies is only a fair oil/grease solvent.

The solvents I mentioned esp acetone work well but don't let them touch plastic or wood finishes.

Actually 10% Simple Green and hot water works very well but don't use it on aluminum. There is an aircraft version of Simple Green that is safe for aluminum.

The newer version of Gun Scubber that is safe for plastic works very well.

Posts: 41 | Registered: April 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optical Delusion
Picture of BNW
posted Hide Post
I haven't read through all these post but does that much grease have any effect in fridgid conditions? I've never greased a handgun like that. but I would rather have a base of grease vs oil.

Posts: 2092 | Location: Maine | Registered: January 12, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post