SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Sig P225-A1 Slide Stop. Smaller one made?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sig P225-A1 Slide Stop. Smaller one made? Login/Join 
Picture of rockchalk06
posted
Is there a small profile slide stop lever for the P225-A1?

I have had issues with most Sig P22X series weapons over the years in that I will at some point ride the slide stop lever preventing the slide from locking to the rear on the last round. I know I should fix my grip, but I have tried like hell over the years. It's a work in progress.

On my M11-A1, I recently installed the Legion or P224 slide stop and problem gone.

I finally fired my P225-A1 Classic Carry today. 8 mags in, slide wouldn't lock to the rear. I switched hands and dammit it wasn't me doing it. It must take a mouse fart of a tap to keep it from engaging on an empty mag. I've never used the slide stop to charge a round, so a smaller one making it hard to use, won't be an issue. I have small hands too. Never had an issue even with the P365, but with this P225-A1, I'm doing it constantly.
Thanks in advance.

Posts: 1363 | Location: OK | Registered: April 13, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sig does make a smaller one. It’s on one of those Sig’s I’ve never owned like a 224 or 227 or something. I had the same issue with mine. I ended up dremeling it waaaay smaller. Ended up replacing it back to stock though and changing it my thumb position.

If you decide to home brew, the slide stop is the same as a 239. Numrich has them. Dremel one, keep a stock spare.

I can try to find my “fixed” one if you want to see it.

Posts: 7347 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Weird, mine takes an Herculean effort to release on an empty mag. I thought it was broken until I popped in some snap caps and tested it.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20757 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I might have misread the original post. I made mine smaller because I kept riding it with my thumb. It also takes Herculean effort to use it.

Posts: 7347 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Weird, mine takes an Herculean effort to release on an empty mag.

Of course it does. The follower is pushing up against the slide stop with the full force of the spring, ditto for the slide stop against the slide notch. Why are you even doing that?

Posts: 27835 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think his point is that the 225a1 is unique in the difficulty to depress period. Empty mag, full mag it doesn’t matter. It is straight up hard. None of my other Sig P series exhibits this. 220,228,226,320. The 225a1 literally will make you cry trying to thumb down the slide release.

Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
I hate small slide stops. Just in general. People can't manipulate their pistols using the small slide stops. Every time I see a Legion in class I cringe. If you can't easily perform a manual of arms with the pistol, especially trying to use a smaller slide stop to correct a training problem, you don't need it.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37084 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
quote:
Weird, mine takes an Herculean effort to release on an empty mag.

Of course it does. The follower is pushing up against the slide stop with the full force of the spring, ditto for the slide stop against the slide notch. Why are you even doing that?

Because I just walked in the door from picking it up from the FFL and I had a new toy I wanted to play with like a kid at xmas and I didn't feel like playing with it in my house with a loaded magazine. None of my other SIGs are that hard to release the slide on loaded or unloaded. As soon as I tried it with snap caps I found out it was just really hard to release the slide, not nearly impossible. After about 10-15 mags through it, it became just slightly harder to release than all my other SIGs. It just needed to be broken in was all the problem was. I have not tried it on an empty mag since, so I don't know if it's still so hard to release that way as there is absolutely no reason to do so and I imagine it's not good for the gun to release slide on empty mag anyways.

Don't you play with your new toys the second you get home?

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20757 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Although I've never had any issues slide stops on any of my Sigs, I did occasionally engaged an extended stop on a Glock 34, so I changed it.

This brings me to my point. These things are called slide stops for a reason. They stop the slide to the rear on an empty mag. I personally use the slingshot method to release the slide as it is platform independent.

I also don't get all the talk about dropping the slide on an empty mag. For the life of me, I think of a single reason why I would want to do that.

Unless one is engaging the slide stop with a partially full mag, or keeping the slide from locking to the rear on an empty mag, there is no problem with the installed slide stop.

Posts: 81 | Registered: September 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post