SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    P238 FTF Hollow Points
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P238 FTF Hollow Points Login/Join 
Vote the
BASTIDS OUT!
Picture of yanici
posted
Yesterday I brought a young lady to the range to try her new P238. She shot the WWB ammo fine but when we tried her Corbon HPs they just hung up on the loading ramp every time.

I've experienced the same problem with my P238 trying to load Speer Gold Dot HP ammo, although my gun did shoot Federal Hydra-Shocks ok. I just load ball ammo as a defensive round because I do not trust that HP ammo will feed properly every time.

Has anyone found a definitive fix for this problem? I did polish my ramp a bit but I think it's just that the ramp is too steep to ever be reliable to load some HP ammo because of the edge on the front of the bullet catching on the ramp as it feeds.

John

"Building a wall will violate the rights of millions of illegals." [Nancy Pelosi]

Posts: 2407 | Location: N.E. Massachusetts | Registered: June 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Some time ago, I worked up a load for my P238 using Hornady 95 grain XTP slugs. I'm not at home and I won't quote load specs from memory, but several hundred of these have cycled through the pistol without a single problem. I do seem to recall that the recommended COAL was a bit less than what I used for range FMJ loads.

Posts: 55 | Location: Boston | Registered: May 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As someone who was an original beta tester here with the P238.
I put over 12K rounds through mine in about a year.
I should add I do however carry a P938 daily. It feeds and fires everything.
One must try various loads till you find one that does fire reliably. For me that's a minimum of 150 to 200 rounds of a given load.
I would buy a 20 or 50 round box of whatever and see how they had worked
My gun with 3 different barrels never would fire any load that used an XTP bullet..
I did however find Corbon Power Ball and Winchester Ranger worked well. Federal HST short barrel to fire the most reliable of the newest rounds Ive tried.
Nothing worked 100% of the time.
As my gun has sat now for 4 years in my safe.
I haven't tried many of the newer loads. Just the HST short barrel So there are a lot of new rounds I have no experience with.

Posts: 1044 | Location: Delray Beach Florida | Registered: March 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
My P238 had a few early-on cycling issues. The last of those was about round #200, and I now have 1K rounds through it. It feeds Hornady Critical Defence, Federal HydraShok, and Federal HST reliably. I've selected HST as my defense round.

The feed ramp and chamber of my P238, purchased early 2015, were impressively well polished out of the box. OTOH, the pistol had absolutely no lube out of the box. I fixed that immediately with Slip2000 EWG.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8934 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vote the
BASTIDS OUT!
Picture of yanici
posted Hide Post
None of this sounds too promising. I guess I and the young lady will resign ourselves to using ball ammo as SD loads.

John

"Building a wall will violate the rights of millions of illegals." [Nancy Pelosi]

Posts: 2407 | Location: N.E. Massachusetts | Registered: June 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by yanici:
None of this sounds too promising. I guess I and the young lady will resign ourselves to using ball ammo as SD loads.

You have to shoot it to find out what works.
Ball will just punch a hole in whatever it hits. And keep on going till it hits something solid or 30ish inches.

Posts: 1044 | Location: Delray Beach Florida | Registered: March 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
My P238 had a few early-on cycling issues. The last of those was about round #200, and I now have 1K rounds through it. It feeds Hornady Critical Defence, Federal HydraShok, and Federal HST reliably. I've selected HST as my defense round.

The feed ramp and chamber of my P238, purchased early 2015, were impressively well polished out of the box. OTOH, the pistol had absolutely no lube out of the box. I fixed that immediately with Slip2000 EWG.

My gun is from 2009.
They have had more then enough time to get it right by now.
Mine I wont trade or sell. I don't want anyone stuck with such an unreliable POS.
My travails were well documented here back then.

Picture of Abbagoochi
posted Hide Post
Find your self a competent 1911 gun smith and he should be able to correct the the feed issue.

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety" - Ben Franklin

Posts: 170 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: April 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Redhookbklyn
posted Hide Post
Federal HST has been reliable in my P238.

“There is love in me the likes of which you’ve never seen. There is rage in me the likes of which should never escape."
—Mary Shelley, Frankenstein

Posts: 1930 | Location: South Carolina  | Registered: January 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of akaSigFreak
posted Hide Post
I alternately load Corbon Powerball and Ball ammo. I have no feed issues.

Posts: 1227 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: February 09, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackwater
posted Hide Post
I stay away from Corbon. It has been the only .380 ammo that hasn't worked in my G42

Joe

Posts: 2525 | Location: Az | Registered: October 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SteveR2012
posted Hide Post
My wife's P238 has always reliably fired Hornady Critical Defense and Precision One 90gr HP/XTP's.

Posts: 109 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: March 25, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
Both Hornady Custom XTPs and Critical Defense FTXs have run without incident throughout my sevenish year old history with my 238. Between the two types I've put somewhere around 600-700rds. I remember some wide cavity bullets gave the feed ramp problems early on so as a group I tended to stay clear of them, which at the time included Gold Dots.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post