SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Grips for P229
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Grips for P229 Login/Join 
Picture of mdp1212
posted
I’m looking to upgrade my grips on my 2017 P229. It appears that the E2 grips are either out of stock of discontinued. I’m not a fan of aluminum grips or wood, I’m guessing I’m limited to the G10 grips, anyone have any other recommendations? Or if you have the G10’s what’s your thoughts?

M11-A1, P365XL, P320, Colt Commander, Springfield EMP
"I'm not sick, I'm twisted. Sick makes it sound like there's a cure."

Posts: 498 | Location: New Castle, DE | Registered: February 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like the checkered or piranha G10's

Posts: 1562 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: August 17, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've got Hogue G10's on all my P239, P226 and P229's. Perfection.

I believe they have three texture styles...mine are all checkered. Besides the side panel texture, I think the back strap texture (superb) is even more important. Combine that with skateboard tape on the front and it locks the gun in very nicely under recoil.

The G10 will place your trigger finger slightly closer to the trigger face than factory two grip panels, which is beneficial. If trigger reach is still an issue, get a GrayGuns Intermediate trigger which will place it even closer. The combo solved my problem with the reach. I tried and disliked the E2 grips and the Sig OEM short reach triggers.

I bought mine at Greg Cote. Large variety, good prices and superb customer service.

https://gregcotellc.com/cart/h...cqadjr6lat2hrg06sr36

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of whododat
posted Hide Post
I have G10's on my 229 and have tried a set piranha grips, but I prefer the G10's. My hand just seems to mold onto the gun and the grips give me a secure grip.

Because son, it is what you are supposed to do.

Posts: 1851 | Location: Escaped to TN | Registered: October 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by whododat:
I have G10's on my 229 and have tried a set piranha grips, but I prefer the G10's. My hand just seems to mold onto the gun and the grips give me a secure grip.

Piranha is made of G10. What G10 do you have? Checkered? Chain Link?

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
Hogue G10 is the only reasonable aftermarket option.

The Sig store just had 229 Legion grips for sale for a measly $179

Just stick with black in whatever pattern you like.
The black and gray ones can be anything but..

I tried dying them and it worked OK.

Wound up wearing the SCI Select grips. Gotta buy the Select to get the grips though, unless they pop up on GB.

I tried the SCI Classic carry grips on my Select and didn't like them.
They would be good for smaller hands though.
I traded them off for a set of solid black Hogue G10, piranha pattern.

Posts: 1470 | Location: Portland Oregon | Registered: October 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of whododat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
quote:
Originally posted by whododat:

Piranha is made of G10. What G10 do you have? Checkered? Chain Link?

Sorry about that. The checkered ones.

Because son, it is what you are supposed to do.

Posts: 1851 | Location: Escaped to TN | Registered: October 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gambit
posted Hide Post
Not a 229, but...

Much better pointer for me. I like black, too.
I think you'll like 'em.

Posts: 915 | Location: Acadiana | Registered: February 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nipper:

The G10 will place your trigger finger slightly closer to the trigger face than factory two grip panels, which is beneficial. If trigger reach is still an issue, get a GrayGuns Intermediate trigger which will place it even closer. The combo solved my problem with the reach. I tried and disliked the E2 grips and the Sig OEM short reach triggers.

My thoughts as well.

I have all three styles and prefer the Piranha over the other two styles. The chain link is very aggressive. With the checkered being in between.

Posts: 875 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: May 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Learn it, know it, live it
Picture of 1lowlife
posted Hide Post
I had a P229 SAS (that CCR refinished) that I went back and forth on with DAK and DA/SA...

I had some Hogue checkered G-10s I bought on the forum for my P229.
Ended up returning them to the seller because he said he never got the payment I mailed him.
He said his employee opened the envelope and it was empty when he saw it.

But anyway;
You stated you don't like wood, but these Nils were the sweetest..

Had Nils on my P239 SAS as well.
Also refinished by CCR...

Both of these guns were sold long ago...

Posts: 4354 | Location: Great State of TEXAS | Registered: July 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am not sure if you noticed but Hogue will be having a sale on their grips Black Friday. I have a couple of sets of them, mostly the all rubber type but also a set of polymer and they are a great bargain. I think I am going to get a pair for a 229 or 228/M11 and I don't even have the gun yet. Wink

Posts: 6840 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
With the exception of my P225-A1 that came with Checkered, all my Sig's wear Hogue Piranha's. They're great, even for a carry pistol. Just my taste but I much prefer the Piranha's over Checkered. Never had the opportunity to try the Chain Link.

Posts: 342 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 30, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post