SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Smith & Wesson Shield EZ Recall
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Smith & Wesson Shield EZ Recall Login/Join 
Picture of Rev. A. J. Forsyth
posted
I just got an email from Smith stating that the EZ line of pistols manufactured from March 1st 2020 through October 31st may unintentionally fire when a round is chambered. Seems that some of the hammers supplied by a 3rd party have cracks, cannot engage the sear properly, and the thing may go full auto on you. The grip safety of course must be held.

The info is on the Smith website.

Posts: 1639 | Location: Winston-Salem  | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
I will check that....thanks.

0:01

Posts: 4211 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the information!

Quick link:
https://www.mpshieldezrecall.com/

God bless America.

Posts: 13503 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
I’ll tell you what I’ve shot my share of full auto and it is fun, expensive but fun.

That said an unintentional burst of rounds or runaway slam fire from something you don’t expect is a HIGH PUCKER EVENT.

Definitely get those pistols fixed.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7681 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
98.SiG and Rising
Picture of Sig Fever
posted Hide Post
Thank you, my wife's new "Never Fired" 380EZ is on the list. They will be sending her a prepaid shipping label.

Warning...SiGs are addictive, keep out of the reach of adults!

Blue Lives Matter: Thank a Police Officer for their Service!

Posts: 5795 | Location: Virginia USA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the heads up.

Looks like mine is not in the recall window, so no full auto .380 for me...

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Lord Vaalic,

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10729 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yup. Got the notification yesterday, courtesy of Sports South, one of the distributors that we use. This affects all 15 or so EZs that we have in the shop, the youngest of which was built about a month ago. Not the best time to deprive us or any gun shop of even more guns, but I do understand a sudden case of burst fire is probably not the most desirable thing to have happen...well, at least for some...

Kind of like the Springfield XDS fiasco from a few years ago.

-MG

Posts: 1989 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vote the
BASTIDS OUT!
Picture of yanici
posted Hide Post
They should be recalling all their .380 EZ mags too. Many of them tend to eject the last round in the mag to a live round stovepipe. They know about it but do nothing. Most owners seem to blame the weak mag springs.

John

"Building a wall will violate the rights of millions of illegals." [Nancy Pelosi]

Posts: 2409 | Location: N.E. Massachusetts | Registered: June 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by yanici:
They should be recalling all their .380 EZ mags too. Many of them tend to eject the last round in the mag to a live round stovepipe. They know about it but do nothing. Most owners seem to blame the weak mag springs.

Thanks for mentioning that problem. I had thought the EZ was problem free from most reviews and users input.
Is the recall for both the 380 & 9mm?

Curious about the EZ9, any problems with it?

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That is not a good recall. Ugh.

Posts: 7483 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rebel Without a Clue
Picture of squad13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Is the recall for both the 380 & 9mm?

Yes, both calibers and all EZ's including Performance Center models.

Posts: 958 | Location: Ohio | Registered: August 14, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
Bought my wife the 380 Shield EZ, manufacture date in May 2020, within the zone for recall, yet I entered the serial number and got back a "not affected by this recall" response. Called them, it seems only a fraction of all pistols in the date zone are recalled.

quote:
Originally posted by yanici:

My wife's mags did this, semi-occasionally. I searched on the 'net and found a DIY fix- lightly sanding the top of the follower. I took apart her mags and roughed up the top of the follower with 200 grit sandpaper width-wise, and it seemed to have solved the issue. She shot one box of .380acp in 5 round intervals and the two mags did not stovepipe. We'll have to see if it works beyond that.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16699 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just mobilize it
posted Hide Post
My EZ 380 was built in March though putting the serial in online it appears it was still not one of the ones affected. I was told by Smith and Wesson that it was only a small amount of pistols total, it just ended up being a long time span.

As far as the mag issue, yeah I have heard roughing up the follower will help. Initially I had one experience where the last round kicked out, then it never happened again even after another couple hundred rounds. This kind of “working itself out” has also been reported though we will see over time. Smith will give you extra power mag springs (+10% I believe), which is also a way to rectify the problem should it continue.

Posts: 4611 | Registered: July 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I was told by Smith and Wesson that it was only a small amount of pistols total, it just ended up being a long time span.

All of the Shield EZs in our inventory are made between mid September and the third week of October. Just over half of them are affected by the recall and will have to be sent back for inspection and/or parts replacement. At least in this limited sample it appears that specific SKUs (variants) are more affected than others. But we did have one case where three guns in a specific SKU were affected, but one of the same SKU built a week earlier was cleared by the online s/n checker. Why that one was okay still seems like a puzzler to me, but we'll roll with it and offer it for sale.

-MG

Posts: 1989 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you for this information. I bought 2 this month and this is very helpful. I wouldn't have known, otherwise.

Posts: 1092 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post