SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Sight Picture
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sight Picture Login/Join 
posted
A friend of mine recently bought a Sig 320 with a Romeo red dot on it. When sighting it in with the iron sights with a 6 O'Clock hold at 5 yards, he noticed he was shooting two inches low. He called Sig and was told his iron sights were for a suppressor and, therefore, high sights; and he was to cover the entire bulleyes with the front sight. I have heard of a 6 O'clock hold and a point of aim hold; but I have never heard of a 12 O'clock hold. Can anyone shed some light on this?

Posts: 139 | Registered: August 31, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is a fairly regular discussion around here.

Some pistols just like Sight Image 3.

[/URL]

Posts: 1335 | Registered: October 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
Do a little research here or through GOOGLE about "combat sight picture". It's common to SIG. The sight(s) can possibly be changed to whatever sight picture the shooter prefers.

Beware of a man whose only pistol is a 1911, he's probably very good with it.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
If they are indeed suppressor height sights, then it makes perfect sense it would shoot low at 5 yards. That would be lower than the "combat" sight picture in the above posted image.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
orareyougladtoseeme
Picture of isthatasiginyourpocket
posted Hide Post
I have a 320 RX and my red dot is cowitnessed like "Sight Image 3" at 7 yards. I don't mind, it seems like all my sigs had the combat or standard split the target POI.

Posts: 2547 | Location: MN | Registered: March 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. That was very helpful and much appreciated!!

Posts: 139 | Registered: August 31, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
“Suppressor” sights by themselves won’t cause a pistol to hit 2 inches low at 5 yards unless they’re grossly misregulated.

I don’t have a gun with elevated suppressor sights to measure them, but on a standard P320, the sight line/bore line offset is about 0.65 inch. Assuming that suppressor sights are as much as 0.2 inch higher, that would increase that to only 0.85" at most; an increased offset of 0.2" doesn’t translate into 2 inches at 5 yards, I don’t believe.

An AR with an Aimpoint sight will hit over 2 inches low at 5 yards, but that’s because the sight/bore offset is about 2.5 inches.

And whether the top of the front sight or the center of the front sight dot is used for aiming won’t translate into a 2 inch difference at 5 yards either. That’s actually the point of impact difference at 25 yards.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47407 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When in doubt drive the sights to the point of aim, rather than trying to balance them just above or below. Open both eyes, press, and press again.

Take the pistol to the range, load the ammunition you'll be using, see where it hits.

That's where it hits, and any talk of sight picture high or low or combat or six or twelve...won't change that.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
And whether the top of the front sight or the center of the front sight dot is used for aiming won’t translate into a 2 inch difference at 5 yards either.

In my opinion, therein lies the problem with a "Six 0'Clock" hold.

If he's holding at Six 0'Clock on a 2" circle at 5 yds with suppressor sights and dipping the muxxle the slightest bit when firing, he's hitting damn near 2" below the center of the target.

Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I pretty much ignore any mention of a “6 o’clock hold” because it has such little relevance to any sort of shooting other than bull’s-eye competition with very specific guns, cartridges, loads, distances, and targets. The concept is worse than worthless for any other shooting discipline or purpose.

But yes, if some poor novice were convinced by an ignorant Internet comment that it was something he should try, it could indeed result in hitting 2 (or many more) inches low at 5 yards. I have some bull’s-eye targets that would cause me to hit 4 inches low at 5 yards if I used a 6 o’clock hold on them with my P320.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47407 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
I pretty much ignore any mention of a “6 o’clock hold” because it has such little relevance to any sort of shooting other than bull’s-eye competition with very specific guns, cartridges, loads, distances, and targets. The concept is worse than worthless for any other shooting discipline or purpose.

I couldn't agree more!

This is another case where the OP's friend needs to let someone else that doesn't use a 6 0'Clock hold shoot his new P320 to see what's going on.