SIGforum
Birthday/graduation present for my son: school me on single-action revolvers and lever action rifles

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/430601935/m/9050059254

February 05, 2019, 04:14 PM
jhe888
Birthday/graduation present for my son: school me on single-action revolvers and lever action rifles
I think Marlin makes a better lever gun than Henry, but finding a Marlin in .357 can be difficult. The .44 is not not scarce, but the .357 is.

Not many guns are more fun that a lever gun in .357.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.
February 06, 2019, 09:05 AM
IANative
I'm a bit of a history buff, so I opted for the Cimarron MWNN 1851 Navy conversion and the Winchester 1866 Yellow Boy, both chambered in .38 Spl:

My next choice would probably be a Ruger Vaquero and Winchester Model 1892 in .357 mag.

For a more modern approach, I'd get a Ruger Redhawk 5059 and a Marlin 1894 CSBL or CST, again, both in .357 mag.

.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-
USN Veteran
GOA Life Member
NRA Life Member
February 07, 2019, 08:58 PM
Rolan_Kraps
So Chris17404,

What did you decide?

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home
February 08, 2019, 10:06 AM
Chris17404
Hey guys! Wow thanks for all the recommendations! I appreciate it. There’s a lot to consider here. While I think he’d love a 38 pair I’m thinking the best bet is a pair of 22s. Both gun price wise as well as ammo cost. So I’m currently thinking the Henry Small Game Rifle in 22lr since it comes with nice Skinner sights and a large loop already. Then for a matching revolver I’m thinking the Ruger Single Six convertible in blued finish. And I’ll add some wood grips to it. I do have a slight concern about the more complex manual of arms of a single action revolver tho. But Ruger doesn’t make a blued DA revolver in 22 with a nice long barrel that I could find. Plus I think he’d think the SA is cooler. I’ll let you how things go!

Chris

February 11, 2019, 06:38 AM
Rolan_Kraps
Chris,
Unless you're trying to shoot your rifle wearing fur mittens you don't want a large loop. They are very awkward to shoot because of how far your fingers must travel to contact the lever (both racking the action open, and then closing the action). They just look cool. Not practical.

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home
February 11, 2019, 04:42 PM
bczrx
Hi Chris,

For new guns, I like your choices. Quality, without breaking the bank.

A S&W 617 would be a .22lr stainless equivalent to the 686 that lit his face up, but isn't the retro look. And it runs quite a bit more than a Single-6.

New is nice, and, at his age, probably preferred.

As I get older I tend to prefer the savings of a used firearm. I can own more. Smile

I am partial to the Marlin 39A [pre-rebounding hammer and cross-bolt safety]. Not as silky as the Henry, but a 100 year pedigree. They are now used only.

I have that paired to a Single Six. However, I can also pair it to a S&W K22 [pre- Model 17, which is a blued revolver that led to the Model 617 I referenced].

My dad has a Henry and loves it.

Whatever you do, I love your approach!

Sigs and Non-Sigs: I enjoy having options!
February 11, 2019, 06:43 PM
Chris17404
Hi guys,

Thanks again for all the help. OK, so new development... I've decided that it would be best to choose a single firearm for this gift. A matching one can be a bit down the road if he so chooses.

Here are the single-action options I'm currently considering, all stainless:

8100 - Ruger Single-Ten 5.5" 22LR - link
0626 - Ruger Single-Six Conv 6.5" 22LR - link
5108 - Ruger New Vaquero 5.5" 357Mag = link
0319 - Ruger Blackhawk 6.5" 357Mag - link

I see pros and cons in each of these choices, and I can't really go wrong with any of them. The Single-Ten has the nice 10-shot capacity, and adjustable sights, but in a single-action revolver the fiber optic sights are a bit of an oddity. Feedback on those sights? The Single-Six Conv has the traditional 6-shot capacity and more traditional sights, plus an extra cylinder. The Vaquero has the most traditional look and feel and its highly polished, but it has fixed sights and shooting 38Spl while it may be more fun and offer more practical use is more expensive to shoot. And the Blackhawk offers the same 38Spl capability with better adjustable sights.

I did slyly speak with him a bit more recently, and he did say that he definitely likes the stainless look the best, and ideally likes that paired with black grips, so I'll have to look into those. He also mentioned he likes Smith & Wesson revolvers. I suspect that's based solely on the historic name brand. But a S&W would of course mean a DA revolver. I'm personally not a huge fan of S&W's current offerings, and quality older models are fetching a high price tag. Even the new ones are pretty pricey. Whereas all 4 of the Ruger models I listed above can be had at GrabAGun for under $600, with the 22's under $500. I know a DA revolver is a bit more practical and can also be shot SA, but after holding a few SA revolvers recently in my search, damn they are cool. Smile I can see why he likes them. I personally like DA revolvers for their practicality and self-defense benefits, but this is for him. (I also like blued better than stainless.)

So... decisions, decisions. Any additional thoughts on my current (or other) options? Thanks again.

Chris

February 11, 2019, 07:27 PM
bczrx
Hi Chris,

Thoughts:
Single-Ten: has capacity of a 10 shot semi-auto = cool. I don't have or want one, but- I can see appeal.

Single-Six Convertible: strengths you mentioned. there is a guy who makes 8 shot cylinders in both LR and Mag for this pistol.

You can shoot short, long and long rifle [up to stinger quality] from one cylinder, and .22mag from other. I like this option!

New Vaquero: Great for CAS, but I don't care for fixed rear sight groove. I prefer to have some horizontal AND vertical adjustability.

Blackhawk: Second favorite option you've listed, but this one: Blackhawk convertible This gives you .38special, .357mag and 9mm options.

HOWEVER: what about this one? Ruger GP100 .22lr It isn't as cheap, but is cheaper than S&W 617. And the retail price seems to be about $75-125 less than MSRP in general on Ruger DA revolvers.

Also, Gunbroker sometimes has good values.

Too bad he is stuck on stainless. I understand- and have a few- but I prefer the look of blued and have more.

Of what you listed, I'd rather buy my 18 year old son a .22lr/.22mag combo, and then tell him when he graduates [trade school, college, boot camp: pick your career future milestone ] you will buy him the .357 revolver of his choice [NOT a KORTH or Colt Python though! Put a cap on it- like under $1000].

This teaches him proper technique and firearm responsibility, and provides an incentive to become self-reliant as he moves toward independence, with the dangling carrot of that S&W 686 on the other end.

Just a thought...

Sigs and Non-Sigs: I enjoy having options!
February 12, 2019, 01:34 AM
1lowlife
I'd skip on the 22LR, just my opinion.

Plinking may be fun, but gets boring real quick.
Besides 38sp, 38sp+P, and 357mag can be used for more than plinking at the range.

If you're buying him a pistol, a practical firearm would be more, practical.

My 2 kids will end up with all my firearms one way or another.
But my son will get one of my 3" 686+ Talo revolvers, sooner than later.

February 12, 2019, 01:55 AM
jimmy123x
If he really liked the 686. I'd buy him a 686.