SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Sig P290RS, Is it just me?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sig P290RS, Is it just me? Login/Join 
posted
My son had a friend with a couple of guns that he was trying to sell so he called me and told me about them. He said that one was a Glock 17 and one was a Sig. He did not know which model but added that the guy was only asking $300.00 for each gun. I bought both of them sight unseen. When my son dropped them off, I saw that the Glock was a like new in box Glock 17 RTF2 with the fish gill serrations. This was my favorite looking Glock. The unknown Sig turned out to be a VGC P290RS.

I looked at a lot of reviews and it appears as though the P290 is not well regarded. I had bought a Glock 43 a while ago to use as a back-up ankle gun and never really warmed up to it.

I really liked the way the 290 felt. I have big hands and for a small gun, it was easier to grip than the 43. I also liked the fact that it was shorter than the 43. I took it out and was very surprised at how it shot, which was very well. I let several other people shoot it, including a couple of women who were shooting .380's and they like it too, and shot it better than their guns.

With all of the bad press and reviews for the 290, Am I wrong to like it so much?

I searched the forums here and did not find anything for the 290. I am happy with it, but would like to hear if anyone has an opinion on it.

Thank you,
Mark

Yeah, I used to have a couple of guns.

Posts: 434 | Location: North Central Ohio | Registered: February 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Great Equalizer
Picture of colt_saa
posted Hide Post
I have only owned mine for 3+ years, but I like it

It pocket carries well, is accurate and reliable, what's not to like?

------------------------------------------------------------------
NRA Benefactor . . . Certified Instructor . . . Certified RSO
SWCA

356TSW.com
45talk.com
RacingPlanetUSA.Com

Posts: 5179 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The RS model addressed some problems with an earlier issue of the gun. I would guess that your new gun is good to go.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16070 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
I know a few have had a very bad experience with the 290, mostly related to the trigger. I was fortunate enough that my 290 came with a decent trigger, as did a buddy's. My brother on the other hand got a marginal trigger in his. Not necessarily bad, but not on the same level as mine. I did shoot another friend's 290 once that had an absolutely atrocious trigger, gritty, clicky, and just generally unpleasant.

All that said, while I like the gun overall for a summer carry piece I don't care for the obvious lack of QC that Sig allowed these to leave the factory with such a wide range of trigger feels.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have had a P290RS for 3-4 years and I like it fine.

The trigger was a bit difficult at first, but has smoothed out nicely. If you are used to revolvers it is terrific. I have a Ruger LCR 357, and the trigger on that is almost identical in feel to the Sig. And the LCR is a great trigger.

The Sig is compact, solid, safe and accurate. Fits in the pocket. Way underrated.

Posts: 35 | Registered: June 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
It has a long trigger pull which is good for its intended purpose. This is not a target pistol-it is a serious sub compact defensive pistol with good sights. I like the full sized sights and the heft of the pistol, and it has plenty clout in 9mm. I have shot the LE qualification course with it and it was surprisingly accurate for such a small pistol. It is my wife's carry pistol and she shoots it very well. We have used it in CCW classes and novices do well with it. We have never had any function problems with this pistol. The RS mod feature allows restrike of the cartridge if there is a misfire.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
I don't own one but the single example I picked up felt good in the hands. If I were to buy one it would be the later production "RS".

It just takes one person with a bad experience to deter many others.

Beware of a man whose only pistol is a 1911, he's probably very good with it.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of inspcalahan
posted Hide Post
I've been carrying one as a back up for several years. It's a great little gun, in a decent caliber and with full size fighting sights! The trigger pull is long, but about the same as my old J frame that it replaced was. It's plenty accurate, 100% reliable and the "heft" actually helps tame the 9mm in such a small package.

Posts: 822 | Location: Alaska | Registered: April 29, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
I have one in Oil-Rubbed Bronze (ORB). Sadly, it's become the forgotten sidearm in my collection, and sits mostly in the safe. I've considered selling it, but it looks just too darn good. Maybe I should replace my P938 EDC with it for a while and see if the love is still there.

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
Hmm...I thought I'd posted to this thread but maybe I'm just in hallucination mode again...

It's been a few years since I shot the 290 in either iteration. Both triggers weren't bad; smooth takeup but looong in travel and deep in break. While recoil wasn't bad, making fast, rapid follow-up shots count...not very good for me. Too much finger motion to manage and stabilize; beyond my skill set/physical capabilities, I guess. The ReStrike version was supposed to be the more reliable of the iterations, but we had a couple of customers who had to send theirs back to the mothership. One for light strikes and the other for issues I don't remember at the moment. I believe both were relatively early in the 'RS' run; by now those issues may be old news.

We stopped carrying the 290RS a couple of years back due to a general lack of interest and painfully s-l-o-w sales. It wasn't a bad gun in my mind, but there are IMHO better, more popular options to be had for SIG fans in 9mm, particularly when the 938 went live. And being the striker slave that I am, I will choose a thinner Shield or G43 and their shorter trigger actions over one any day.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 10-7 leo
posted Hide Post
I like mine and it is accurate.

My only caveat is to keep the mags clean. During practice leading up to qualification and during qualification, the mags were dropped free into the grass and dirt. I had a fail to feed during qualification. Never had a problem before. The followers were hanging up when I checked them out at home. After cleaning haven't had a problem since.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
If you beat your swords into plowshares, you will become farmers for those who didn't!
Political Correctness is fascism pretending to be Manners-George Carlin

Posts: 2038 | Location: Central FL | Registered: September 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
FPUHAN;
What brand is that holster?

Posts: 603 | Registered: December 12, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
My father has one I helped him pick out and while the trigger isn't the best it is tons more accurate than I ever expected. It's surprised me. If I got one on a deal like you did I'd keep it and shoot the hell out of it.

Posts: 6009 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had carried a Smith & Wesson 642 as my back-up gun for many years and was used to the DAO trigger type. I replaced it with the glock 43 and never got around to liking it. I really don't mind the DAO trigger on the little Sig, an in fact, rather like. I guess that I am most surprised that such a little gun shoots so well. I guess it also depends on what you are used to.

Now I need to get a set of the grip panels and dress her up a bit.

Good to know it is not just me.

Thanks guys.

Yeah, I used to have a couple of guns.

Posts: 434 | Location: North Central Ohio | Registered: February 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fpuhan:
I have one in Oil-Rubbed Bronze (ORB). Sadly, it's become the forgotten sidearm in my collection, and sits mostly in the safe. I've considered selling it, but it looks just too darn good. Maybe I should replace my P938 EDC with it for a while and see if the love is still there

Nice holster
Do you mind me asking the make and model of the holster in the pic
Thank you

Posts: 276 | Registered: February 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had an RS for about a year or 2 and liked it better than reports would lead you to believe. It carried fine, fit my large hands well and was fairly accurate at defensive ranges. Ended up selling it because I started carrying a G42, which has since been replaced by a Shield 9mm. AT the right price, I wouldn't hesitate to pick up another RS.

Posts: 116 | Location: Connecticut | Registered: April 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Timely thread. I just got a 290rs in a trade today and think I'm going like it.

Posts: 105 | Location: United States | Registered: May 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Add me to the list . Traded out an LC9S for a pre owned 290rs and added the pirahnna grips.Feels great with the wider grip and not like a flat sided micro pistol. Also have a P250C . I like the DA pull of both. Carries fine in my pocket with a sticky holster. the P250C for $399 at Cabelas makes a great safe glovebox/toolbox pistol.

Posts: 263 | Registered: January 22, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For the role it is a solid choice. I have an RS version. Front sight died within the first two weeks, they offered to send in gun or just ship me front sight. I bought it for a steal of a price and banged it in myself. Very tight dovetail btw.

Long trigger but smooth. I wouldn't carry a 938 cocked and locked in my pants to save my life but I would pocket holster carry this one without any concerns. I like a longer trigger pull in this style gun. I picked up an LCRII and the trigger is nice but way too short and light for a pocket imo.

I heard complaints. Maybe the RS fixed them. Mine has been perfect. It shoots well and the real sights on them are a very nice addition.

Posts: 7459 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TexasRaider
posted Hide Post
This *is* a timely thread, just bought one off of GB, probably have it by the end of the month, I hope. First gun I've bought in years blind, never shot one although I've fondled them.

I never considered the 290RS for daily, to me it's more off a 'Get Off Me!' gun I can put in a small zip up cross bar case on my Trek when I'm on biking trails or other such stuff. Very interested to see how it shoots.

Posts: 801 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: June 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post