SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    John Wick's ported pistols question, educate me
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

John Wick's ported pistols question, educate me Login/Join 
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted
Where I live, we have extremely limited ammo variety and sources. So while I can imagine the stuff exists or can be manufactured,we haven't crossed paths since I got the guns bug.

Does it make ANY practical sense to run around using long slide ported pistols while shooting CQB and using all those fancy gunkatas Baba Yaga does or, the way I believe, the guy would be deaf, blind and severely burned before the first reload?

I'm aware it's just a movie.

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12106 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Let's be careful
out there
posted Hide Post
I have a ported glock 32 in .357 sig. It does not blind me, or set me on fire. The thing is hellacious loud anyway, so the ports dont add much that way. It does hold the muzzle down considerably

Posts: 7333 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: May 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doin' what I can
with what I got
Picture of Rob Decker
posted Hide Post
I've shot ported pistols. They're neither flamethrowers nor cannons in common defensive calibers. Just a tad brighter and louder.

----------------------------------------
Death smiles at us all. Be sure you smile back.

Posts: 5540 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
It's largely a myth that porting handguns causes all those problems. Check out the flash on a Magnum revolver coming from the gap between the cylinder and forcing cone...

As impressive as the screencap appears, it really happens too fast to be a problem. Now look at the flash from this ported P229 (9mm)...

Downright wimpy, really.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16319 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
I call foul on the 229 pic. The slide has already cycled and the pistol is back in battery, cocked. Just residual embers left.

On the other hand, the revolver's hammer is down.

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
I owned a .357 Sig ported barrel for my USP40C and a ported barrel weight for my USP40. Shot them both enough to have an opinion. Guess the crap we use locally to manufacture ammo does not compare with quality stuff.
The grit and fouling were enugh to detract me from using those configurations often if ever past the initial hard on Big Grin

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12106 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
I've always thought that things like ports were great arguments for using one of those ultrasonic cleaning tanks. Beyond that I'm afraid I have no useful opinion to offer.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
It's all about choices. Are you going to die shooting close quarters with a ported gun. Likely not. Will you catch occasional lead shavings up the nose? Yes you will.

Choices. If all this stuff is an acceptable risk, and the return is great to you, have at it. The newest cool guy fad is Glock 19s with a port attached and an RMR. The folks who like them really galvanize those who don't. Me? I'm not hot nor cold on ports. If you like them, fine. If you don't, don't buy them.

Oh, and I think JW's P30 was not ported. I think it is a barrel weight only. All the screen caps I've saw, and having watched the movie 100 times, I think that it was a barrel weight.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Yeah, from stills it looks like it has ports on it, but in firing it appears to just be a weight with some serrations on top.

Always fun seeing what they had for those movies.

http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/John...ombat_Master_Package

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 0-0:
Where I live, we have extremely limited ammo variety and sources. So while I can imagine the stuff exists or can be manufactured,we haven't crossed paths since I got the guns bug.

Does it make ANY practical sense to run around using long slide ported pistols while shooting CQB and using all those fancy gunkatas Baba Yaga does or, the way I believe, the guy would be deaf, blind and severely burned before the first reload?

I'm aware it's just a movie.

0-0

Long slide ported would produce less flash than a short barrel. The ports don't make that much difference; the sound isn't as directionalized and it's more noticeable from behind the pistol or next to it. He's firing 9mm, which isn't exactly a howitzer.

Firing anything without hearing protection, especially inside, will reduce your hearing both short term and long term.

It's notable that in the second film, John Wick goes with Glock...

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted Hide Post
If he were shooting a Coonan Classic .357 Magnum, there would be fire rings! My wife has captured a fire ring with her phone a couple of times when I shit mine.

Beth Greene

Posts: 7841 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
nothing about John Wick's guns. But I've occasionally shot ported glocks that others owned and it truly sucks. Especially in low light. I can't for the life of me figure out why anyone would want one.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10996 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Winner
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:

It's notable that in the second film, John Wick goes with Glock...

Probably due to Para's thread https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...0601935/m/5941074751

Posts: 132 | Registered: August 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tommydogg:
My wife has captured a fire ring with her phone a couple of times when I shit mine.

Whatever you do, don't post those pics. There are rules about that sort of thing here.

Smile just kidding - I love auto-correct, too!

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6693 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
I have a compensator on my Beretta 90-two, which is more similar to what Wick is using on the P30L. Every few shots, i see a flash out the top of the comp, but its definitely not as bright or dangerous as rumor has it. As far as making the gun shoot easier, softer, flatter, etc., that is definitely true with a good comp/weight!

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cne32507:
I call foul on the 229 pic. The slide has already cycled and the pistol is back in battery, cocked. Just residual embers left.

On the other hand, the revolver's hammer is down.

Good eye. Yes, I actually noticed that, too, but I swear that's the primary ignition. The timing seems weird, but some things happen faster than we think, and other things slower.

Check out the actual full video and tell me what you think. (Yes, it's in portrait mode. One of the earliest videos I ever made.)

This message has been edited. Last edited by: kkina,

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16319 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sammael
posted Hide Post
quote:
My wife has captured a fire ring with her phone a couple of times when I shit mine.

You may want to get that checked out.

Big Grin

Posts: 571 | Registered: August 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
Alas, the video didn't work for me. Lordy does Photobucket have a TON of scripting and embedded ads. And here I thought Glocktalk was bad.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Personally, I'm not keen on porting anything other than a range or competition gun. If I had to fire a defensive gun close to my body, I don't think it'd be a pleasant experience.

Posts: 282 | Registered: March 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TheFrontRange:
quote:

Whatever you do, don't post those pics. There are rules about that sort of thing here.

Smile just kidding - I love auto-correct, too!

That's too funny to go back and edit! Since I have added that word to my dictionary in my phone, if I type it by mistake, it stands!

Beth Greene

Posts: 7841 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post