SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    John Wick's ported pistols question, educate me
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

John Wick's ported pistols question, educate me Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
nothing about John Wick's guns. But I've occasionally shot ported glocks that others owned and it truly sucks. Especially in low light. I can't for the life of me figure out why anyone would want one.

I want one.

That's why I own one. That's why I own several ones.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mrtuna
posted Hide Post
I see the Instgram gurus have Glocks with comps on threaded barrels, RMR and a 50lb light. I guess that should keep the muzzle down a bit lol!

Training as often as possible!
NSSF Media Member

Posts: 1577 | Location: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: May 31, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Cobra21
posted Hide Post
0-0, I think your suspicions are correct...alot of hype, but of little practical value. Oh, and long live JW! Big Grin

Risk the consequences of honesty...

Posts: 4498 | Location: DFW, TX | Registered: December 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrtuna:
I see the Instgram gurus have Glocks with comps on threaded barrels, RMR and a 50lb light. I guess that should keep the muzzle down a bit lol!

You forgot "lightening cuts in the slide, cocking serrations cut on their cocking serrations, comps on threaded barrels, RMR and a 50lb light" Big Grin

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
Porting does jack all, but comps on an open gun do seem to help.

Posts: 5729 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Porting makes a substantial difference.

There's a reason that Magnaport is still in business.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mrtuna
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
quote:
Originally posted by mrtuna:

You forgot "lightening cuts in the slide, cocking serrations cut on their cocking serrations, comps on threaded barrels, RMR and a 50lb light" Big Grin

You are correct. Cuts upon cuts upon cuts. You manage tight groups at distance without all that crap. What kind of sorcery are you practicing? Cool

Training as often as possible!
NSSF Media Member

Posts: 1577 | Location: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: May 31, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I've owned one ported pistol, and hated it. It was a Taurus .44 Magnum 6" revolver. Besides being a huge pain to clean, the porting caused a pressure wave that you could feel in the bridge of your nose with every shot. I don't remember ever getting burned by it or hit with particles, but the porting definitely made it less pleasant to shoot.

That said, my buddy has an S&W 29 that is ported, and it's not bad at all. The porting on that one is two long slits rather than round holes, and I think the design does a better job of directing the blast away from the shooter. So I guess porting done right is acceptable, while poorly executed porting can ruin a gun.

Posts: 8545 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
3° that never cooled
Picture of rock185
posted Hide Post
0-0, I can only say that I have shot several different handguns with various types of ports. Some porting does seem to keep the muzzle down between shots, but not reduce overall recoil. Some ported guns seemed to recoil no differently than a non-ported gun. I have seen others shooting ported guns, sometimes in low light. Quite a show. I would not personally want ports on a handgun intended for serious use. But then, I am not a young High speed, Low drag "Operator" or operator wannabe, so what do I knowWink

My experience has been in the real world, so I may need to watch the movie again so I can see how it is done in the reel world......

NRA Life

Posts: 1563 | Location: Under the Tonto Rim | Registered: August 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post