SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    FYI regarding S&W EZ with thumb safety
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

FYI regarding S&W EZ with thumb safety Login/Join 
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted
We just received notification to stop sales of the thumb safety version. S&W is investigat(ing) so(m)e sort of "issue" involving this model. Thought that the forum should know. Gotta get back to work...

EDIT: all thumbs when it comes to my Galaxy S7 Edge. Fixed it, now that I'm on a PC keyboard.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: soggy_spinout,

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Your timing with this is perfect sir! I have been vacillating back and forth between getting a .380EZ or a BG .380. I have seen a few comments about the safety unintentionally engaging ... maybe that's part of the problem.

Posts: 419 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: September 01, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I know that squeezing the grip safety disengages the firing pin block. But what does the thumb safety do?

Posts: 838 | Registered: September 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
It disconnects the trigger and presumably blocks the sear.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for your response. Even the official videos from Julie Golob lack any explanation of what the thumb safety does.

That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
soggy_spinout, if you learn more please keep us informed. After reading your post, I went to the Smith&Wesson forum where I saw mention of your post here.

One member on S&W wrote that his LGS said it was the non-safety model and another said he didn't know which one was recalled.

I found no mention at all on the S&W website.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
Too bad, I have been hunting for one. It would be my first S&W and looks like it would fit the bill of what I am looking for exactly.

Hope they figure it out soon

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10719 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm pretty happy with the non-safety model, FWIW.

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tuesday was gone when I told her my name is the breeze.
posted Hide Post
I have a mp 380 i was going to pick up today

I just got off phone with sw cs.

They have a dedicated number for the sw mp ez 380.

the safety will activate sometimes when shooting 380 +p ammo according to the cs rep.Sw will replace your safety with a upgraded safety if a shooter has this problem.

I can tell you i will be getting the upgrade,for free,and shipped both ways.

This upgrade applies to guns made before 4 1 2018.

Posts: 1796 | Location:  | Registered: November 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tuumunz:
the safety will activate sometimes when shooting 380 +p ammo according to the cs rep.Sw will replace your safety with a upgraded safety if a shooter has this problem.

It seems strange for S&W to change parts in a gun based on a problem involving ammunition that the Owners Manual warns not to use.
quote:
“Plus-P” (+P) ammunition generates pressures in excess of the pressures associated with standard ammunition. As a result, 380 AUTO ammunition with (+P) rating should not be used in the M&P380 SHIELD.

Posts: 625 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: March 25, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The thumb safety on my EZ 380 activited at least five times while firing 30 rounds of personal defense ammo. Gold Dot, Hornady, and Remington Golden Saber. None of these rounds were/are rated as +P. S&W received my pistol this past Wednesday. I still plan to purchase the non thumb safety version as well.

Posts: 1201 | Location: NC | Registered: February 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
I have only fired 50 rounds of range ammo through mine so far and the safety came on twice. I am not ready to blame the gun yet, however. There is a lot to like, so I will be patient and give it some time.

posted Hide Post
I see that S&W has now acknowledged this on their website. Kudos, again, to Soggy for being on top of this. It doesn't sound like a show-stopper. I like the concept of a little-bit larger .380 versus the BG .380 and the LCP. The store I visit the most around here has not been able to keep them in stock ... so now I just need to wait for the post-4 APR pistols to begin to show up.

Completely and totally off-topic - another LGS received their 3rd P365 today. The owner let me handle it prolly purely out of pity. Very nice and solid feeling but he's pricing them at $565. I can much more easily afford the .380EZ!

Posts: 419 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: September 01, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
ShieldEZ1 by GaryBF, on Flickr

Doin' what I can
with what I got
Picture of Rob Decker
posted Hide Post
Not that the thing shouldn't work right out of the box...but what happened to riding the thumb safety (1911-style)?

Or is the thumb safety on these too small?

----------------------------------------
Death smiles at us all. Be sure you smile back.

Posts: 5540 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Failing to prepare is
preparing to fail.
Picture of SigLaw
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rob Decker:
Not that the thing shouldn't work right out of the box...but what happened to riding the thumb safety (1911-style)?

Or is the thumb safety on these too small?

My thoughts as well. Having a thumb safety model, I say it is large enough to ride. Regardless, we will send it in.

Posts: 1355 | Location: Gilbert, AZ | Registered: November 08, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GaryBF:
ShieldEZ1 by GaryBF, on Flickr

Looks like you have this covered. Wink

Aside from the initial email alerts (both from S&W and from distributors), we didn't receive any further info.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just another example that leads me to ask if these gun companies actually do any testing before they release new models? I can understand problems only arising after thousands of rounds fired, but this safety problem and the Sig 365 design problems were apparent right out of the box to customers. How could this have not also happened during factory testing?

Picture of tcba_joe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fundman:
Just another example that leads me to ask if these gun companies actually do any testing before they release new models? I can understand problems only arising after thousands of rounds fired, but this safety problem and the Sig 365 design problems were apparent right out of the box to customers. How could this have not also happened during factory testing?

Designs are typically tested very well.

Production issues, whether a QC issue, or an engineering parts or material change by a subcontractor can result in things happening that the development team never saw.

A rolling production change is my theory about the P320 debacle.

Nothing will ring out problems or needed updates quite like giving it to the customer.

Posts: 195 | Registered: August 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fundman:

Wait, just a sec, I had something for this....

Posts: 23238 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post