SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Opinions on P.226 Grip vs P.229 Grip
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Opinions on P.226 Grip vs P.229 Grip Login/Join 
posted
Hello Gents, I have a question which is pretty much perception based, & would like to solicit opinions to determine if it's just me, or do others perceive the grips as I do ? Although I'm ashamed to say, that since retiring a few years ago, I really haven't given my Sig's the love & attention they deserve ! I've been debating whether to sell one of them off, & it will either be my P.226R-DAK .40, or P.229R-DAK .40/.357 Combo. As I began toying with them, I became increasingly aware of just how unbalanced, & top heavy the P229 was, as opposed to how well balanced & graceful the P226 felt ? Now, has anyone else ever noticed his with their 226 / 229's, or is it just me ? I'm relatively convinced that the 229's 'feel' is due to it's exceedingly thick & heavy slide assembly, as opposed to the 226's longer & thinner slide. Up until recently, I always intended to move the 226 & keep the 229, but I just might reverse that decision ! ANY input, comments, & or advice will be very much appreciated. THANKS Guys,

Best, dpast32 / dpast32@aol.com

This message has been edited. Last edited by: dpast32,

Posts: 156 | Location: New England Region, of USA | Registered: January 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
3° that never cooled
Picture of rock185
posted Hide Post
I've owned several of both, and still have examples. I prefer the 229, but it's very much just personal preference. One will seem more "right" to you. Keep that one.

Forgot to mention that mine are 9MM. The .40/.357 229 slide is heavier, ounce and a half or so IIRC. That likely contributes to the "top heavy" feel of your 229....

NRA Life

Posts: 1561 | Location: Under the Tonto Rim | Registered: August 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
THANKS Rock185 for your reply. I too feel like the 229's slide has to be the issue. Another reason for the 226's familiarity is perhaps due to it being my issued duty weapon prior to retiring. I'm sure that may have something to do with it, but that wide, heavy slide just plain feels uncomfortable to me. I guess I've kind of answered my own question, but I figured it would be nice to hear a few assorted's opinions also. As a side note, I absolutely love my old P220 .45 & P228, but they're the older, pinned breech block type. Now those two will never be sold off !!

Posts: 156 | Location: New England Region, of USA | Registered: January 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post