SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    P365 XL - with or without manual safety? and impact of Gemany Sig closing
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P365 XL - with or without manual safety? and impact of Gemany Sig closing Login/Join 
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted
It's still a couple of years away it looks like before I make it to a free state but I'm planning ahead.

I came across P365 XL in YouTube. I like and have Sigs. I think I like this for a carry gun I see it has the option of no safety or manual safety. I'm comfortable with Sig's decocker and if that was a choice, I'd take that.

But since it's stiker fired and I have no experience with such and carrying in general, I thought I would be more comfortable (and safer) if I get the manual safety option for my wife and I.

I understand taking the safety off is an additional step before I can use the gun but I see it also as an additional step to minimize a negligent discharge. I also know that a safety could fail in the exact moment when I need to use the gun but I think that's a low probability.

Can I get confirmation that my thinking is acceptable? Or, in reverse, is there a critical point I am missing that points to me just getting my wife and I to train carrying a gun with no safety? I plan on getting one each for both of us.

Also, since this purchase will still be a couple of years away and with Sig Germany closing, can I expect Sig to still be manufacturing this or any other gun in two years?

I know I can just wait when I'm ready to buy to see what's out there. But I was excited to learn about their patent protected double stack magazine.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19583 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, if the purchase is still "a couple of years away", then you certainly have lots of time to form your opinion on a manual safety.

My two cents is: The P365 has a fully-tensioned striker spring when cocked and has no trigger-blade safety (a la Glock), so for a carry piece it's analogous to carrying a 1911 with the hammer back and the manual safety off (yet without the benefit of at least being able to place your thumb over the hammer when holstering). I do not think that is a wise way to concealed carry a loaded pistol, so therefore I prefer to either concealed carry a DA/SA pistol sans manual safety, or the P365 (or P320) with a manual safety.

I'm not even to the point yet where I'd consider concealed carrying my HK VP9, as though that has a trigger blade safety it also has a fully-tensioned striker spring when cocked. I haven't given that enough time and trial yet, so I may change my mind with regard to my VP9.

Again, all this is my own take, my own personal comfort zone. Others will likely disagree. Form your own opinion based upon good advice, sound training, etc..

As to SIG Germany closing, my understanding is the P365 is not made in Germany, so that should affect nothing.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: dehughes,

Posts: 1251 | Location: Oregon | Registered: March 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
quote:
Also, since this purchase will still be a couple of years away and with Sig Germany closing, can I expect Sig to still be manufacturing this or any other gun in two years?

SIG Germany really doesn't factor into this at all. The P365 and pretty much most all polymer SIG's are made in the USA.

The only real impact of SIG Germany closing as far as handguns goes, is X guns.

As far as the manual safety goes, get the weapon with the manual of arms you're comfortable with, and train with it.

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6192 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
[/QUOTE]
As far as the manual safety goes, get the weapon with the manual of arms you're comfortable with, and train with it.[/QUOTE]

I think personal comfort is what it all boils down to. The thoughts of no manual safety on an automatic used to scare me, then Glock came along and over the years I've learned to prefer no manual safety.

Posts: 934 | Location: WV | Registered: May 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
Something to keep in mind with holstering is there is enough room in the P365 trigger guard to stick your finger behind the trigger during holstering to make sure if something is snagging on the trigger, you'll feel it in your trigger finger so you can yank the gun out, clear your holster, and then try again. A lot of striker fired guns have triggers that are too far back to do that.

YMMV

Posts: 4130 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Putting one's finger in the trigger guard during reholstering is a dangerous and idiotic practice. You get exactly one chance to make the mistake of thinking your finger is behind the trigger, when it's in front.

Personally, I have no interest in the manual safety P365 (or P320). It's a move in the wrong direction.

I pocket carry my P365 in a desantis holster. Lack of a manual safety is not an obstacle to safe handling.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
War Damn Eagle!
Picture of Snake207
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DanH:
Something to keep in mind with holstering is there is enough room in the P365 trigger guard to stick your finger behind the trigger during holstering to make sure if something is snagging on the trigger, you'll feel it in your trigger finger so you can yank the gun out, clear your holster, and then try again. A lot of striker fired guns have triggers that are too far back to do that.

YMMV

I can't stress enough how insanely unsafe of a practice this is.

There is never a race back to the holster.
Go slow, eyeball the gun back into the holster if your have to...whatever.

As sns3guppy said - all it takes is one time where you're not paying 100% attention, put your finger in front of and not behind the trigger, and and boom - you have a new scar and story to tell.

If you have the time to "make sure" your finger is behind the trigger, you have time to safely holster the pistol with your trigger finger out of the way.

Posts: 12537 | Location: Realville | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
I love my regular P365 and it should be a great carry choice for you, with or without safety as you prefer.

Personally, I'm in the no-safety-preferred camp, and I pocket-carry without, but that's not for everyone and the safety-equipped version's popular for good reason. It's clear you recognize the tradeoffs, and it's your call.

I believe these are made-in-NH SIGs - at least mine says "Newington NH" on the side - so I doubt Eckernförde's travails will have any impact on US availability of P365 models.

Posts: 15001 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just my opinion but I won't buy a pistol with a manual safety. I think it's both a crutch in making the owner "feel" safer and a potential impediment if, heaven forbid, you actually have to draw and use your firearm some day in a self defense situation. In such a high stress situation with an adrenaline dump are you going to have your wits about you to take it off safe? If you get it off safe are you going to get on target and make it go bang before the bad guy?

The majority of family, friends, associates, and coworkers I've come across that like or prefer a safety are fairly new to firearms or don't get to the range enough. It makes them feel safer because they don't have the confidence and experience that comes from training and developing proficiency. Am I ever going to tell them they're wrong? Of course not, because if that's what they or anyone else needs to feel comfortable to actually carry it regularly that's the most important outcome. In time the opportunity usually has come up where I can convey my own opinion and thought process but I'd never force it upon them or anyone.

I say do whatever you're most comfortable with and train accordingly. When I started carrying for the first time it was a pretty uneasy feeling but that was only because it was something new. Once you get past the new-ness and always have healthy and respectful appreciation of safe firearm handling practices I've never once felt unsafe with a firearm that didn't have a safety.

Posts: 342 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 30, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The manual safety and grip safety are vital and should be optional on all brands. Both are safeguards for when you get in a tussle or are snuck up upon and the fight is for your weapon. These safeties provide a couple extra steps to your advantage when trying to secure your firearm.
As to these safeties impeding your draw; you either drill in muscle memory or you don’t.

Posts: 92 | Location: NM | Registered: May 30, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
Putting one's finger in the trigger guard during reholstering is a dangerous and idiotic practice. You get exactly one chance to make the mistake of thinking your finger is behind the trigger, when it's in front.

Personally, I have no interest in the manual safety P365 (or P320). It's a move in the wrong direction.

I pocket carry my P365 in a desantis holster. Lack of a manual safety is not an obstacle to safe handling.

Yep. Kinda like those FFDO holsters with the padlock through the trigger guard. What could go wrong?

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8202 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
War Damn Eagle!
Picture of Snake207
posted Hide Post

Posts: 12537 | Location: Realville | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snake207:
I can't stress enough how insanely unsafe of a practice this is.

There is never a race back to the holster.
Go slow, eyeball the gun back into the holster if your have to...whatever.

As sns3guppy said - all it takes is one time where you're not paying 100% attention, put your finger in front of and not behind the trigger, and and boom - you have a new scar and story to tell.

If you have the time to "make sure" your finger is behind the trigger, you have time to safely holster the pistol with your trigger finger out of the way.

Which is why I really hate carrying a striker gun without a safety. With a DA/SA, I can keep my thumb on the hammer when reholstering in the slight chance I did slip up during the process. If I carried a Glock, I'd install a Gadget for that extra piece of mind.

While I'm never rushing to reholster a gun, I want some kind of safety or "canary in the mine" to let me know if something is going wrong.

Posts: 4130 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Best to find some other canary in the mine than putting your finger in the trigger guard when reholstering. Regardless of your preferences, it's a bad, and dangerous habit, and I'm not aware of any program that teaches it, for good reason.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member!
posted Hide Post
Get the safety version. You can always change it to the non-safety version by simply removing the safety lever (very easy 10 minute procedure) and try it both ways until you decide which way you like better as it wont affect any other pistol functioning.
Obviously you can go the other way (non safety to safety), but then you have to find and order the mechanical parts (lever, spring, pin).

If you end up not liking the safety, then you can sell it for the same or more than a new plastic frame costs (~$40) that will cover the little gaps where the safety fits, although you don't even have to do that.

Posts: 4340 | Location: Boise, ID USA | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:

I don't understand what you're trying to show me.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19583 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
Thank you all for all your inputs.

A good take away is I didn't get any big warning about an error of how I was seeing things.

I'll stick with my plan of getting the manual safety version.

War Damn Eagle!
Picture of Snake207
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:
quote:

I don't understand what you're trying to show me.

Apologies - I was responding to sigcrazy7’s post about the FFDOs and their holsters with padlock hole through the trigger guard. He asked what could go wrong and I posted a picture of what actually went wrong.
As the story goes, the pilot was securing his pistol back in the holster, but the lock was in front of trigger, not behind. He adjusted it or whatever and it went off.
Sorry for the thread drift...

I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
Best to find some other canary in the mine than putting your finger in the trigger guard when reholstering. Regardless of your preferences, it's a bad, and dangerous habit, and I'm not aware of any program that teaches it, for good reason.

I don't have that problem with OWB, but my paranoia kicks into overdrive for IWB. It's also why I don't carry a stiker gun without a safety IWB.

Picture of Austin228
posted Hide Post
The impact of Sig in Germany closing is they will never build this gun again....this may be a good thing

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/870234870

it's only $39,999.95

Posts: 1467 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: March 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post