SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Who still carries (CCW) a revolver? If so, which one?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who still carries (CCW) a revolver? If so, which one? Login/Join 
Picture of bcjwriter
posted
I was wondering, who still carries a revolver these days? And if so, which one is your choice? I’ve been looking at a few J frame sized revolvers from Smith and Wesson, as well as the Kimber K6S. I also just saw the colt cobra today as well. Any comments, or thoughts on any of these? Or is there another one I missing?

Posts: 1957 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: July 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Imagination and focus
become reality
posted Hide Post
I sometimes carry my Colt Night Cobra in an Alessi Talon holster and I really like it. It carries well and shoots great with a really nice trigger.

Posts: 6606 | Location: Northwest Indiana | Registered: August 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
I'll occasionally grab my 340PD with CT grips. Makes a nice winter coat pocket gun.

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
If I carry a revolver it is a Smith 442 and it's a backup in an ankel holster.

I have thought about getting a good belt holster for my 686-4 2.5" or 64-2 2" just as sort of a "Sunday gun" and because I actually shoot them so good, especially one handed. For one reason or another I can shoot a revolver (double action) one handed way better than I can shoot an automatic one handed.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Only on a rare occasion. Kimber K6S.

Ignem Feram

Posts: 528 | Registered: October 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of craigcpa
posted Hide Post
3’’ SP101 here. Loaded with 357, 125 grain. Sometimes less is more.

==========================================
Just my 2¢

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right ♫♫♫

Posts: 7731 | Location: Raleighwood | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a S&W 442 and occasionally pocket carry it. I also have a 640 Centennial in .357 (carry IWB) and because of its slightly larger size and heft is easier to shoot accurately. The trigger's on both are pretty damned heavy.

I have heard and read that the Ruger LCR pistols are nice, with their trigger's being somewhat better that the S&W snubbies.

I will also say that it took me a bit of practice to learn to shoot the 442 accurately. If you have not shot a lightweight snubbie before, maybe try one if you can before you buy one.

Rob

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Cookster,

Posts: 3464 | Location: Lehigh Valley, PA | Registered: March 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Until last year I carried a 642-1, an airweight J-frame, whenever possible. A Beretta PX4 Compact has pretty much been my EDC since then, but I still carry the 642-1 as a BUG or sometimes as my only gun.

I like the 642-1 because it's versatile since I can carry it IWB, in a pocket holster, or in an ankle holster. Mine's been reliable so far. I can shoot it reasonably well with defensive ammo. And it's not too expensive.

If you prefer a dark color gun, the 442-1 is the same but with a blued finish. I prefer the 642-1 because it requires a bit less in the way of rust preventive maintenance.

You could also get the 638. It's an airweight J-frame with a shrouded hammer, meaning one can access the hammer via a "button" and cock it for SA firing. Some people like that option, but I don't see at as necessary on a defensive gun. The all-steel version is the 649. I've always wanted to get one and have it converted to DAO, as I like being able to put my thumb on the hammer while holstering, which is not an option on the Centennial guns (642, 442, 640, etc.). It also makes it easier to check for high primers.

The 640 in .357 Magnum may be a good option if you want to use Magnum ammo. I like the sights on the 640 Pro.

From what I've read the Kimber would be a very good option for someone wanting a J-frame size gun with a 6-round capacity. I've been tempted to get one. Since it's all stainless steel, I see it being limited to belt carry, maybe shoulder carry if one is so inclined. I see the 640 being similarly limited. However, some people say they pocket and/or ankle carry these guns, so that may be an option for you.

The Ruger SP101 may be an option, but it is quite a stout gun, built like a tank. If you plan on running a steady diet of .357 Magnum ammo it's probably your best bet. I've heard of people pocket and ankle carrying this gun, but for me I'd only carry it in a belt holster with a sturdy belt because of its size and weight.

I don't know anything about the current crop of Colt revolvers.

Hope that helps.

ETA: I've also carried 2" and 3" K-frames quite regularly, which is pretty easy to do with a good holster and belt, but the OP seemed more interested in compact revolvers.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." Sherlock Holmes

Posts: 1286 | Registered: February 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cookster:
I have heard and read that the Ruger LCR pistols are nice, with their trigger's being somewhat better that the S&W snubbies.

The LCR is a good option, but after dry-firing one I passed and went with a J-frame because the LCR's trigger, while light and smooth, didn't have much "oomph" on the trigger reset. I like a strong trigger reset when doing quick DA shooting. I saw the LCR trigger as having a higher likelihood of short-stroking the trigger when firing quickly.

But that may not apply to you.

As with any kind of gun purchase, it's best if you can try before you buy.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." Sherlock Holmes

Posts: 1286 | Registered: February 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Great Equalizer
Picture of colt_saa
posted Hide Post
There has been a Smith and Wesson J-frame with me almost every day of my life since 1980

It used to be my BUG, but these days it is mostly my primary sidearm

Today I was carrying one of my PC 940 Specials

Yes it was the one with the shamrock grips

Smile

------------------------------------------------------------------
NRA Benefactor . . . Certified Instructor . . . Certified RSO
SWCA

356TSW.com
45talk.com
RacingPlanetUSA.Com

Posts: 5176 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rule #1: Use enough gun
Picture of Bigboreshooter
posted Hide Post
I carry my 637-PC from time to time.

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed. Luke 11:21

"Every nation in every region now has a decision to make.
Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists." -- George W. Bush

Posts: 14826 | Location: Birmingham, Alabama | Registered: February 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have been know to carry a 642-1 IWB while shopping, etc.

PC

Posts: 1331 | Location: NW Wyoming | Registered: November 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TENWOLVES
posted Hide Post
I carry my Kimber K6S MICRO, and K6S 3"HAMMERED, as well as my S&W 640 PRO, during the colder weather months I will carry my S&W 686 plus 3", great guns and make reliable concealed EDC guns for different occasions...

P226 Scorpion, P225 A-1, P 226 SAO Legion, P229 Legion, P 22O Hunter SAO, P938, P320 full, P 320X Carry, P365 P365 XL. P365 SAS

Posts: 277 | Location: Grant Pass, Oregon | Registered: April 26, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Barbarian at the Gate
Picture of Belwolf
posted Hide Post
I pocket carry a S&W Model 38-2 (occasionally swapping it with a Colt Det Spec 2nd series) when in shorts and sandals, which is quite often given my locale.

I've gone back to these after trying a few pocket autos (LCP, LC9, G42 and Sig 238), I shoot the small revolvers more accurately.

“Posterity! You will never know how much it cost the present Generation to preserve your Freedom! I hope you will make good use of it. If you do not, I shall repent in Heaven, that I ever took half the Pains to preserve it.”
― John Adams

"Fire can be our friend; whether it's toasting marshmallows, or raining down on Charlie."
- Principal Skinner.

Posts: 4354 | Location: Thonotosassa, FL | Registered: February 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spiritually Imperfect
Picture of VictimNoMore
posted Hide Post
Pretty much every day (or part of the day), I have a revolver as my primary weapon.
The LCR in .327 Federal Magnum is hard to beat, for me. Six shots of hot .327 that is pocketable. Two speed strips gives me 18 rounds, total.
When the wife and I run (2-3x a week), the LCR rides in a Smart-Carry-like holster that I bought from the NRA Store. Very secure and stable.
When I can't have a gun, I carry my S&W 351c, 7 shots of .22 Magnum Gold Dots in it, in my pocket.
A Sig P365 is my choice, the rest of the time.

Posts: 3804 | Location: WV | Registered: January 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted Hide Post
Sometimes my SP101. On that rare day where it gets cold enough I carry a S&W Pro Comp V8 under a jacket!

Beth Greene

Posts: 7840 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
Man guilty. I've carried my 337 Smith since I bought it back in 1997. Its just a great little gun. Its so light you barely know its back there. I carry it in a Galco SOB holster that maybe weighs nearly as much as the gun. I've got a laser aim grip on it, and that pretty much covers the bases.

Of course I don't get myself in situations that require me to shoot more than 5 bad guys. I'm amused at guys who carry 15 round magazines and 2 extras, just in case. Bet they never need their gun, either.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18385 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of the Hudge
posted Hide Post
My S&W 342 Airlight Ti is my constant companion, and has been for at least 15 years.

Posts: 798 | Location: Inland Nortwest | Registered: May 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of abnmacv
posted Hide Post
Once in a while a J-frame which does make a nice pocket pistol. Doesn't get much carry time anymore.

U.S. Army 11F4P Vietnam 69-70 NRA Life Member

Posts: 1529 | Registered: June 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a S&W 642 that gets carried as a second every day. I have a 625 that I carry on occasion because it makes me happy. I also have a Trooper MK3 that I am fond of that gets carried once in a while. I have some very nice, new, modern guns that I carry and have to carry a Glock at work, but I still like my revolvers. I bought a new Cobra a while back, have not gotten around to shooting it yet, but it looks nice, feels nice and has a nice action, so, unless it is a dog at the range, sooner or later, I'll carry it too.

Yeah, I used to have a couple of guns.

Posts: 434 | Location: North Central Ohio | Registered: February 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post