SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Who still carries (CCW) a revolver? If so, which one?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who still carries (CCW) a revolver? If so, which one? Login/Join 
That is my spot.
posted Hide Post
I live in a town of 800 and work in a town of 2900 that is inside a county of 18000. The Winn Dixie is the only place large crowds gather other than the Football Stadium.

Taking all of that into account, I still have carried 226 sized guns for the last 20 years with few exceptions. But the last few weeks, I've been giving the 2.5" S&W 66-4 some love. I have been doing my dry fire with it for the last year since taking PF 1 from Opspec so it seemed like a natural fit since the round handle conceals better than the box grip of my G 17. FULLY LOADED, the G17 is still lighter but the 66 just hides better for me when I wear thinner and/or less bulky summer-weight clothing.

BUT, I keep the 17 in my "laptop bag" as a secondary. I also don't mind switching to the 17 if we go to a more populated area and am worried about, I don't know what- like a horde or a gang of yoots?

Anyway, I don't like arguments about which guns to use or carry but I have them with myself all the time. In different environments and scenarios, there are different tools. I just want to know how to use them all. And I always have a backup nearby.

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Ben Franklin

Posts: 2110 | Location: Rural Tallahassee, FL | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
J frame - AirLite.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I ride the city transit bus quite often and a S&W airweight 637 with the stupid "Clinton lock" comes along with me.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
I wish Smith would bring back the nightguards. Those were great for carry. I couldn’t swing one back when they were available.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
I only carry a S&W 642 Airweight revolver as a backup in my riding jacket. It is a backup to my main gun. I no longer carry a revolver as a main firearm. I think the only time that will change is when I buy a .44 magnum revolver and carry it in bear country.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8657 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That is my spot.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smithnsig:
I wish Smith would bring back the nightguards. Those were great for carry. I couldn’t swing one back when they were available.

This asshole right here (me) had 2 of the .45 acp and sold the pair and all the accessories. 10\10 would carry one now but they were... spicy to shoot.

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Ben Franklin

Posts: 2110 | Location: Rural Tallahassee, FL | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, I had my LCR .327 in my pocket all day today. Interested and a little surprised to note that several others in the thread posted about carrying this pistol.

Pragmatism: the relentless pursuit of seeing things as they really are.

Posts: 169 | Registered: September 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RoverSig
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1597 | Location: Virginia, USA | Registered: June 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spiritually Imperfect
Picture of VictimNoMore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CharlieSW:
Well, I had my LCR .327 in my pocket all day today. Interested and a little surprised to note that several others in the thread posted about carrying this pistol.

That sixth round is a game-changer for pocket revolvers. And the caliber is impressive.

Posts: 3804 | Location: WV | Registered: January 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I sometimes pocket carry a S&W 638 but most times it's a compact pistol.

Posts: 62 | Registered: April 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
my truck gun is a 442.

Posts: 8144 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
Found a few pics of my 442. I have tried every grip there is and it is a toss up between comfort and concealability. Since it is a backup I went with concealibility. Not the most comfortable, but I can put 5 rounds of Speer 135gr. Gold Dots into a fist sized group at 7 yards one handed. And I can do it quickly. The holster is a Ritchie Gunleather ankle from Top Gun.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's all part of
the adventure...
posted Hide Post
In the early mornings when I ride my bicycle I carry my LCR/.38 in a Cross Breed belly band. It’s loaded with 2 rounds of snake shot and 3 rounds of Critical Defense. I sometimes carry my Taurus M85 stainless in an ankle holster as a BUG. Don’t do that very often, though.

Regards From Sunny Tucson,
SigFan

NRA Life - IDPA - USCCA - GOA - JPFO - ACLDN - SAF - AZCDL - ASA

"Faith isn't believing that God can; it's knowing that He will." (From a sign on a church in Nicholasville, Kentucky)

Posts: 1677 | Location: Tucson, Arizona | Registered: January 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mbinky:
Found a few pics of my 442. I have tried every grip there is and it is a toss up between comfort and concealability. Since it is a backup I went with concealibility. Not the most comfortable, but I can put 5 rounds of Speer 135gr. Gold Dots into a fist sized group at 7 yards one handed. And I can do it quickly. The holster is a Ritchie Gunleather ankle from Top Gun.

I have a question. I am assuming you got the wood grips from S&W. I am interested in who makes the “finger groove thingie”? What do you think of it? Improvement over the rubber grips that come from the factory?

Posts: 4022 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I carried a Glock 42 as my back up and off duty for a while. I missed my J frame. It is back to the ole’ dependable 442. Besides, I think Gold Dot 135+P’s have enough poop to make someone think twice about their transgressions.

Gone to the Dogs
Picture of tomgun
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 357fuzz:
I have a question. I am assuming you got the wood grips from S&W. I am interested in who makes the “finger groove thingie”? What do you think of it? Improvement over the rubber grips that come from the factory?

I use the same configuration as mbinky on my 642.
The tyler t-grip and wood grips is the best for concealment and control IMO.

Posts: 1694 | Location: Lake Tapps, WA. | Registered: June 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
The factory rubber offers a little better recoil absorption but a service style grip with adaptor fits my hand much better. And it fits better under a pantleg. I actually install them on all of my revolvers. When I was looking for one Tyler-T was hard to find so I got a few from BK Grips. They use two clips instead of the one like Tyler and they are made of plastic but when the grips are snugged down they don't shift at all.

http://bkgrips.com/?page_id=12

My M64 with grip adaptor.

M64, M686, M24. I hadn't got the adaptor for the M24 yet and I actually ended up selling it.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
mbinky and tomgun thanks for the info. I appreciate it. Mbinky, that is a nice collection.

Picture of bcjwriter
posted Hide Post
I’m closing in on retirement and I’m thinking of dumping done semi’s for some revolvers. I enjoy carrying a steel J frame.

Posts: 1957 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: July 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I pocket carry a 360J that I bobbed that hammer on.

Posts: 934 | Location: WV | Registered: May 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post