SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Springfield EMP4/ Sig 225-A1 comparison
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Springfield EMP4/ Sig 225-A1 comparison Login/Join 
posted
Took my new Springfield EMP4 to the range today along with my Sig P225-A1. Put 100 rounds and rotated each so I could get a good comparison. The P225 is about a year old and have put about 500 rounds through it over the year.

I purchased the Springfield as it just felt good in my hand and I have not owned a 1911 type weapon in some time. I am currently interested in only 9 mm so it seemed a good fit to join the others in my collection.

Overall the EMP felt balanced. The grip is more narrow and a little longer than the Sig and personally a single stack pistol fits my hand anyway so this weapon just felt right. Overall the top end are about the same size but the EMP seems smaller due to the rounded slide and thin grip. I believe the weight of the EMP is slightly less than the 225 by a couple of ounces. The EMP has a replaceable fiber optic front red sight and is comes with extra red and green replacements. I think the fiber optic sight was helpful for me to focus on the front sigh but don’t know if I am going to like a replaceable sight. I guess it will need maintenance or replacement would not be provided. But it sure looks cool. The EMP mag is 10 round capacity so it’s 10+1 while the 225 is 8+1 definitely a plus for the EMP.

It took a few rounds to find the EMP is sighted at 6:00 or else I was shooting high, but after that, was able to hold a good group at 10 and 15 yards. I don't generally shoot further than 15 yards as I find I am not as steady and eyes are not as good as used to be. The EMP does have more of a muzzle flip than the Sig and I suppose that is expected due to the 1911 configuration but it did drop back nicely when double tapped. Only used American Eagle round ammo and had no feed issues. The trigger does feel rough compared to the Sig but it may smooth with wear. All in in all it was fun to shoot.

However, the Sig once again proved why I love these guns. The 225 holds better on target and seems more accurate that the EMP but that may be that I am used to shooting Sigs. As indicated the Sig trigger is much better than the EMP; smother and with less travel. So the 225 takes my vote as winner in this comparison but I will enjoy future range time with the EMP.

Several Sigs and some others. Like and use them all.

Posts: 28 | Location: alabama | Registered: February 10, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
DA/SA Sigs with SRT are pretty much as good as you can get stock without a factory custom. Slick and lighten the DA and they are pretty dang good.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of abnmacv
posted Hide Post
Informative review and interesting to compare those particular handguns.

U.S. Army 11F4P Vietnam 69-70 NRA Life Member

Posts: 1530 | Registered: June 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
Some comparison pics would be nice also.

TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When comparing the EMP4 9mm to some of my Sigs I find it comparable in quality and build. I like you plan to enjoy this pistol.

Posts: 449 | Registered: October 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 28 | Location: alabama | Registered: February 10, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vsm:

Finally got photos to post..yea..

Animis Opibusque Parati
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the nice report. Both of these guns have caught my attention.

"Prepared in mind and resources"

Posts: 1351 | Location: SC | Registered: October 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
Interesting comparison, though for myself I'd rather work with even a 'meh' 1911 trigger than a SIG DA/SA myself, no matter how 'good' the latter may be. Then again, consider the source; I'm not much of a proponent for DA/SA.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the review. I have a P225-A1 and have been thinking about adding an EMP. Like you, I really like the P225-A1; it fits my hand well and I really like the SRT.

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
as I understand it, the EMP 9mm looks like a 1911, but it. and its parts, are smaller than those of 1911. Result is that the plentiful 1911 parts are not available to tailor the trigger/action as is done with real 1911 pistols.
All of the benefits of a 1911, and weight reduction of EMP, are in Colt's 9mm Light weight Commander or even Ruger's equivalent.

Mac in Michigan

Posts: 504 | Location: Below the Bridge in Michigan | Registered: July 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
Be interesting to see the size comparison of the emp 9-10 round mags vs the p225 8 round mag.

TCB all the time...

posted Hide Post

posted Hide Post
Is the 225A1 better/different than a 239? I look at the specs and cannot see any reason the 225 exists. What am I missing.

From the pictures and size data available the better comparison might be the EMP4 vs the 239 which can also be had in 40 S&W like the EMP. Even better, Sig 357 is available.

Posts: 1248 | Location: Northern Nevada | Registered: December 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ACP1:
Is the 225A1 better/different than a 239? I look at the specs and cannot see any reason the 225 exists. What am I missing.

From the pictures and size data available the better comparison might be the EMP4 vs the 239 which can also be had in 40 S&W like the EMP. Even better, Sig 357 is available.

Well, the main difference is ergos. The 239 has a flat front strap and crowds the fingers for some. The 225 A1 has the same capacity, but is a mid sized pistol. If the 239 feels fine to you the 225 A1 is superfluous. If the 239 cramps your grip, and you like a single stack SIG, the 225 A1 is for you.

TCB all the time...

posted Hide Post
Had not considered the grip difference as I didn't notice that in the photos. Thanks for the input, will try to find a LGS that has both to try.

Posts: 1248 | Location: Northern Nevada | Registered: December 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post