SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    P229 SAS & P220 Carry SAS
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P229 SAS & P220 Carry SAS Login/Join 
Picture of retpd
posted
I have been looking at buying a new Sig and first started looking at the M11-A1. Fellow member here pointed me to the P229 SAS (9mm) and now I started to look at the P220 Carry SAS (as I bounce between 9mm & 45 for CWP). My local shop just happens to have both (the P220 is used but looks new)....both feel great in my hand and which ever one I decide on will be carried. Does the P220 carry IWB "thinner" than the P229? or is it not that noticeable of a difference? I currently carry a Glock 26 IWB so I'm now leaning to the P220 SAS just so I have a 45 carry option. Any one here go deciding which SAS to get?

Thanks for any input.

Posts: 398 | Location: Orlando | Registered: November 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of indigoss
posted Hide Post
https://www.cdnnsports.com/sig...__SID=U#.WmJCR7mWy1s

This is a pretty good deal , figured I would post it up.

Posts: 1278 | Location: West Palm Beach, FL | Registered: June 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As a single stack firearm the P220 might feel thinner than the P229, which is a double stack. But the dimensions for the width of the slide are both 1.5" according to the SigSauer website.

However, when carrying concealed, the length of the grip comes into play in terms of concealability. The longer the grip, the further it can stick out and become caught/print/get noticed.

Also in play is your physique. Carrying a P226 IWB isn't a problem for a guy who is 6'4" with wide shoulders and has room inside his waistband to fit a IWB holster. A shorter, rounder guy might have difficulty carrying that same P226 without printing or being really uncomfortable.

And carrying a full size or compact firearm may not be practical (or possible) all the time. Sub-compacts have taken off in recent years because they launch bullets downrange just like their bigger siblings, but are smaller and weigh less making them easier to carry (For example: like your Glock 26).

Ultimately, the best advice is to carry the firearm you practice with the most and not get too caught up in the caliber/platform wars. None of the standard sidearm cartridges of today can make absolutely reliable one-shot stops. The national average is between 2 and 3 rounds to stop an assailant, regardless of caliber.

That means 2 to 3 rounds of .45, or 2 to 3 rounds of 9mm, or 2 to 3 rounds of .40, or even 2 to 3 rounds of 357SIG.

One shot stops do happen, but the smart man makes decisions based on statistical probability and real-world data.

If you want a new firearm for the stable, you can't go wrong with either the P220 or P229. If you want a 45 carry option, it sounds like you've already made your decision.

Be safe. Be smart.

Posts: 50 | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by indigoss:

I got one of these, it is great; but these are Out of Stock

P220 ELITE SAO 10MM + P220 SAS GEN 2 45 ACP
P226 MK-25 9MM [2]
P227 45 ACP
M11-A1 9MM [2]
P229 SAS GEN 2 9MM + P229 SAS GEN 2 357 + P229 CARRY SAS 357 + P229 ELITE 40 S&W
P239 SAS GEN 2 9MM + P239 SAS GEN 2 357
P290 9MM
1911 TACOPS 45ACP

Posts: 82 | Location: TENNESSEE | Registered: October 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CXXX:
quote:
Originally posted by indigoss:

I got one of these, it is great; but these are Out of Stock

Maybe consider one that is $100 less and in stock.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20820 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Let's be careful
out there
posted Hide Post
I have a bunch of sigs. the 220 carry is one of the most comfortable, althouf=gh not the most concealable. Subjectively, my 229, which is .357 sig, seems to carry haavier than the 220 Carry. The 227 is too much of a boat anchor to justify only two extra rounds.

Posts: 7333 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: May 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of retpd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LtJL:
I have a bunch of sigs. the 220 carry is one of the most comfortable, althouf=gh not the most concealable. Subjectively, my 229, which is .357 sig, seems to carry haavier than the 220 Carry. The 227 is too much of a boat anchor to justify only two extra rounds.

Went back to my LGS to take a look at the used P220 Carry SAS that I spotted in their case earlier. Had a chance to fondle it this time - surprised to discover that it is actually a P227 SAS not a P220 Carry. E2 Grip felt nice but it is a tad fatter then what a P220 would be...not sure I would consider it an anchor though.

Posts: 398 | Location: Orlando | Registered: November 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had a 220 SAS and a 229 SAS. The 220 is gone and replaced with a MK25. Wish I had the M11-A1. I carry the 229 most of the time as I do not like a rail on a handgun.

Posts: 102 | Location: N.E. Wyoming | Registered: May 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of retpd
posted Hide Post
I actually ending up going with a P229 in 9mm from Bud's. It's a Talo ASE (Alloy Stainless Elite) model which made me tolerate the rail.

Should be coming in today at my local shop.

posted Hide Post
My 2017 P229 SAS with Hogue G10 Pirahnas is now my favorite Sig...with a fat solid stainless steel guide rod and controls coated in gun metal grey from Coyotekiller....it's also my favorite pistol. You made a nice choice

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Sig protects my life, home, and family....."God guards my soul"

Posts: 1477 | Location: owensboro, ky | Registered: December 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post