SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Just acquired a Ruger SR22. Anything recommended to change or add?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Just acquired a Ruger SR22. Anything recommended to change or add? Login/Join 
Road Dog
Picture of BennerP220
posted
I’m really liking this little guy. I need more mags and have an ad for selling a couple mags or trading for some.

I like Galloway Precision and found the stainless captured guide rod I’ll probably end up getting. I also ordered one of the +3 mag followers to try (this will not be a carry gun). I also found their plate that fits in the rear sight dovetail to add an optic which I’m thinking very hard about getting.

Any other ‘must haves’ for this pistol?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: BennerP220,

Posts: 3446 | Location: Southwest Indiana | Registered: December 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man of few words

Picture of remsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BennerP220:
I also ordered one of the +3 mag followers to try (this will not be a carry gun).

That's the only thing I've added to my 2. Maybe I got in early on the followers, but I've not been super impressed with them. They hold the slide back when empty(when racking the slide, whereas the regular followers will allow the slide to travel forward) and IIRC I don't think they hold the slide open after firing the last round.

Congratulations on getting an SR22. I love them and they are a lot of fun to shoot.

Posts: 7859 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: July 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Road Dog
Picture of BennerP220
posted Hide Post
The mag that came with mine locks back on empty mag by pulling the slide and on last shot. If the Galloway doesn’t lock it open on an empty mag, I’ll be glad I only bought one!

Posts: 3446 | Location: Southwest Indiana | Registered: December 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man of few words

Picture of remsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
The mag that came with mine locks back on empty mag by pulling the slide and on last shot. If the Galloway doesn’t lock it open on an empty mag, I’ll be glad I only bought one!

Ok, that one wasn't available when I got mine. I just looked it up and I got Taylor Tactical followers. Looks like they've upgraded them but I don't want to keep spending money on testing something out.

Posts: 7859 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: July 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Road Dog
Picture of BennerP220
posted Hide Post
I don’t blame ya one bit. Hopefully, the Galloway one will be in soon and I’ll put it through the paces.

Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
It's a better pistol than the Walther I traded it for. I just don't like the trigger pull. I bought the threaded barrel version, but it doesn't like my suppressor. It keyholes at 7 yards with it on.

My Browning Buckmarks shoots fine with the suppressor, so I don't know what's going on there.

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5398 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Road Dog
Picture of BennerP220
posted Hide Post
I completely agree. I traded my walther p22 for this Ruger. The Ruger is far and above a better pistol. I had upgraded parts on my walther with several magazines and an inert silencer. The guy I traded with wants to trade back but there is no way I'm doing that! I am beyond happy with this SR22!

quote:
Originally posted by benny6:
It's a better pistol than the Walther I traded it for. I just don't like the trigger pull. I bought the threaded barrel version, but it doesn't like my suppressor. It keyholes at 7 yards with it on.

My Browning Buckmarks shoots fine with the suppressor, so I don't know what's going on there.

Tony.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by benny6:

Tony.

I have a SR22. Out of the box the trigger is bad. Removing the mag disconnect improves the trigger. It is a pain to get out, and one must be careful not to lose little parts. All and all, pretty simple.

Vince

Posts: 307 | Registered: July 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mine felt better when I added some Hogue rubber grips.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Democracy is 2 Wolves & a Lamb debating the lunch menu.

Liberty is a well armed Lamb!

Posts: 883 | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Road Dog
Picture of BennerP220
posted Hide Post
vmtz, I looked for a video of removing the magazine disconnect but did not find one to suit my needs. Would you, or anyone, have a link to a good one? I think I would like to take mine out.

SSAregreat, what Hogue grip did you put on your SR22?

posted Hide Post
quote:
vmtz, I looked for a video of removing the magazine disconnect but did not find one to suit my needs. Would you, or anyone, have a link to a good one? I think I would like to take mine out.

Here is one specifically made for the SR22 but it is not the one I have. The one I have has a beaver tail on the grip. I do not remember which one of the whole grips that I bought. There are quite a few of them for multiple pistols called universal grips and some of them may fit the SR 22. I have listed both links for you below:

https://www.hogueinc.com/handg...ze-grip-sleeve-black

https://www.hogueinc.com/handg...p-sleeves/beavertail

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Democracy is 2 Wolves & a Lamb debating the lunch menu.

Liberty is a well armed Lamb!

Posts: 883 | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Road Dog
Picture of BennerP220
posted Hide Post
Thank you, SSAreGreat!

posted Hide Post
quote:

I don't know of a video. Look for one that detail strips the SR22.

As I recall, the barrel needs to be removed. There is a roll pin on the back of the frame just below the safety that needs to be removed. The trigger assembly is held at the front by a small "lip." Be gentle and pry or spread the frame. Then slowly pull up the trigger assembly. The slide release is sandwiched between the frame and the trigger assembly. Put your finger on is as you remove the trigger assembly and most likely it will fall off. On the other side of the trigger assembly is the magazine disconnect. As I recall it should pop off.

Just go slow and pay attention. Also if you take it apart do it some place that isn't cluttered so if you drop a spring you can easily find it.

It is really pretty simple.

Legal stuff, one should never disable a safety on any firearm.

Vince

Road Dog
Picture of BennerP220
posted Hide Post
Thank you, vmtz!

posted Hide Post
Let us know how it goes

Vince

posted Hide Post
Now that you have an SR22 you may want to get a MarkIV.

Posts: 1254 | Location: Northern Nevada | Registered: December 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post