SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    The Underappreciated Glock 21
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Underappreciated Glock 21 Login/Join 
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
G21s (and G41s) feel horrible in my hands but I shoot them well. First time I shot the G41 was in the old IDPA qualifier and I shot Expert about a half second back from Master. I like how they look, hate how they feel, like how they shoot, like how they work.

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3209 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
I like mine as well.

The best part is how easy it is to convert to 10mm or .38 Super.

Posts: 9152 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
The G21 is a favorite of mine. I just happen to shoot the P220 better.

The only failure I have ever had was during a 600 round class. It was towards the end of the day, in a three hour long downpour, I was shooting aluminum cased 230 gr. Blazer and my gun malfunctioned. I attributed it to three hours in the rain, shooting a filthy dirty gun.

The G21 is a most affordable, formidable weapon which I highly recommend.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: P-220,

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36840 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of IANative
posted Hide Post
I agree the G21 is soft-shooting. I'd have to say the softest-shooting .45 ACP I've shot. I have a Gen3 G21 w/ a bunch of mags, boxed up in the bottom of my safe. It's not seen the light of day in years, but it's there if I want/need and I'll not part with it. It's the only non-Les Baer .45 that I own.

.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-
USN Veteran
GOA Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 446 | Location: Midwest | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Udo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1KPerDay:
G21s (and G41s) feel horrible in my hands I like how they look, hate how they feel, like how they shoot, like how they work.

Really like my Nebraska State Patrol 21, but can't stand how it feels in my hand.

Posts: 1762 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: January 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I need another G21. No doubt it's the best performing, worst feeling 45 ACP EVER!

Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................

Posts: 4123 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
I had a gen 3 that I shot well enough, but not as well as the G30 I also still have. I have no idea why, but I couldn’t get the 21 to group like it’s more compact sibling. When I parted ways with the larger of the two, I had no deep regrets as the 30 is a formidable little tank.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15573 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JMag
posted Hide Post
I owned one a few years. Built like a tank, but handled like one, too.

JMag
"The truth is incontrovertible; malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is." ? Winston Churchill

Posts: 798 | Location: Southeastern U.S. | Registered: March 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Never felt the G21 was under appreciated. Smile.

I always preferred the Glock 30 (old school fat one) though.

That said I prefer other manufacturers to Glock as far as .45s go and feel Glock is at the top of their game in 9mm.

G21 is a helluva gun though.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7681 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
I sold my gen 4 G21 just last week. Softer shooting than any of my 1911s, completely reliable (well, it FTF'd a couple times on some steel cased stuff when it was brand new, but that cleared up quickly), and accurate enough. They're great guns but I have small hands and just couldn't make it work for me.

I did put it in a CAA MCK housing for a while and mounted a RDS on it. I could ring steel with that setup out to 50 yards about as fast as I could pull the trigger.

Posts: 7267 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Expert308:
I sold my gen 4 G21 just last week. Softer shooting than any of my 1911s, completely reliable (well, it FTF'd a couple times on some steel cased stuff when it was brand new, but that cleared up quickly), and accurate enough. They're great guns but I have small hands and just couldn't make it work for me.

I did put it in a CAA MCK housing for a while and mounted a RDS on it. I could ring steel with that setup out to 50 yards about as fast as I could pull the trigger.

I didn't even know there was a CAA MCK housing for a G21. I'll definitely put that on the list to check into.

Posts: 1092 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a Gen 3 G21 that I purchased BNIB from a local high-volume distributer in 2004; interrestingly, the gun was made in 2002, but either was at the bottom of the pallet or sales stagnated due to the Assault Weapons Ban. Mechanically, the G21 is superbly accurate. However, out of all of my Glocks, it's probably the one that requires the most dedication and live/dryfire to achieve repeatable high proficiency with.

The gun is superb-here's a discussion thread that I initiated that kind of goes through my travels, travails and practical conclusion with and about: https://pistol-forum.com/showt...GSSF-Lessons-Learned

Mine is currently being run with Warren-Sevigny Carry sights, with the front sight face painted flourescent orange, a Glock extended slide release, a Pierce butt plug, and a Warren Grip Assist sleeve.

Best, Jon

This message has been edited. Last edited by: JonSigShooter,

Posts: 995 | Location: Auburn, WA USA | Registered: June 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've thought about acquiring a G21, but have not "pulled the trigger" on that decision.

I have a G30 and enjoy shooting it. As noted above, it is a "tank," a chunk of plastic and steel that feels and shoots much better than it should. I have a few full size magazines that I can use with it.

I have the G41 and G29s in 10mm. It seems to me for a full-size handgun, 10mm is a better choice than .45.

Posts: 694 | Registered: March 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MagnumU:
I've thought about acquiring a G21, but have not "pulled the trigger" on that decision.

I have a G30 and enjoy shooting it. As noted above, it is a "tank," a chunk of plastic and steel that feels and shoots much better than it should. I have a few full size magazines that I can use with it.

I have the G41 and G29s in 10mm. It seems to me for a full-size handgun, 10mm is a better choice than .45.

I think that caliber/Glock choice significently depends on venues; 10mm essentially takes you into parity with .357 magnum, and is great for hunting due to ballistics and penetration potential. Conversely, I think .45 ACP is better as a general duty/defensive (aganst humans) cartridge, due to the combination of more controlled recoil and penetration.

I'm very comfortable with my G21 in .45 ACP for duty/defensive use with Speer Gold Dot 230 gr cartridges, and for wilderness/hiking black bear/cougar/mountain line defense with Undewood Lehigh cartridges-in my area (Pacific NW) their Defenders are good, if I needed more penetration (for brown/grizzly) I'd suggest Underwood Lehigh Xtreme Penetrators.

I also have used and feel very comfortable with my Gen4 G22 in .40 for wilderness use with Underwood Lehigh 140 gr Xtreme Penetrators.

Best, Jon

Posts: 995 | Location: Auburn, WA USA | Registered: June 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
I only today learned of the C models in G21 and a few others. Didnt even know of the ported guns and the guy says it actually reduces recoil and muzzle rise. Pretty cool.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love my 21SF. I think the 21 or 21SF would be the ideal police issue weapon.

Posts: 937 | Location: WV | Registered: May 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a G30S and absolutely love it. It's my carry gun. I haven't pulled the trigger (so to speak) on getting a G21, but after having shot a friends, and the testimonials I'm reading here, I suppose I should rethink my hesitation.

Posts: 153 | Registered: December 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4859
posted Hide Post
The first G21 I got was a standard model with adjustable sights. Great gun and I liked it more then the M&P 45 I had. I was able to get a Police Trade in G21SF RTF and got rid of the standard G21. The G21SF RTF is one gun I will never part with.

When I moved to Montana a few years ago I noticed that 45 duty guns are still very popular here. Even in Western North Dakota a number of departments issue them or allow Officers to purchase their own as long as it is a DAO 45 ACP. Many choice the G21.

-----------------------------
Always carry. Never tell.

Posts: 5772 | Location: Montana  | Registered: May 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4859:
The first G21 I got was a standard model with adjustable sights. Great gun and I liked it more then the M&P 45 I had. I was able to get a Police Trade in G21SF RTF and got rid of the standard G21. The G21SF RTF is one gun I will never part with.

When I moved to Montana a few years ago I noticed that 45 duty guns are still very popular here. Even in Western North Dakota a number of departments issue them or allow Officers to purchase their own as long as it is a DAO 45 ACP. Many choice the G21.

I never even knew Glock made a 21 with the RTF frame. You can't go wrong with that.

Posts: 1092 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I guess I really like my G21SF considering it is my nightstand gun Big Grin

quote:
Originally posted by 4859:
The G21SF RTF is one gun I will never part with.

I do wish mine have the RTF frame. If they every come out with a Gen5 version I will seriously have to consider upgrading?

Posts: 71 | Location: Northern KY | Registered: January 07, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post