SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    The Underappreciated Glock 21
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Underappreciated Glock 21 Login/Join 
Picture of 4859
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jbourneidentity:

I never even knew Glock made a 21 with the RTF frame. You can't go wrong with that.

From what I have seen they didn't make too many of them. I also have a G32 RTF. Both are real keepers.

-----------------------------
Always carry. Never tell.

Posts: 5772 | Location: Montana  | Registered: May 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
JonSigShooter makes some good points. There is a range of performance options in .45 ACP and in 10mm.

More options at the high performance end in 10mm and you can add a .40 S&W barrel to your 10mm Glock.

One other upside to the 10mm is magazine capacity. Probably less critical in the full-size v. compact versions.

It's great to have these choices.

Posts: 693 | Registered: March 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My 21 gen 4 ( and of course every 21 ) is a great shooter

A bit more chunky , but it just performs and keeps on going as long as you feed it

Posts: 19 | Registered: July 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MagnumU:
More options at the high performance end in 10mm and you can add a .40 S&W barrel to your 10mm Glock.

You can get .45Super or .460Rowland barrels for the 21.

Posts: 9953 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of gwdex
posted Hide Post
I have some .45 ammo rat-holed, but didn't have a .45 handgun, so I had a decision to make. It was an easy one. What does the forum community think about the Glock 21?

I love my G21SF. Use it to qualify for my concealed carry permit. Also love my P220 SAS, with which have qualified. The Glock is a soft shooter and, for me, very accurate.

Greg

P220SAS
P225
P226
G21SF

Posts: 205 | Location: Connecticut | Registered: December 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A G21 was the first Glock that I purchased. I have no idea what Gen it is. It is big and clunky but it does work every time. It has digested all of my various .45acp handloads and is fairly easy to shoot. I picked up a threaded barrel for it a couple of years ago but haven't gotten around to trying it out. I usually use the suppressor on my FNP 45. My son-in-law gave me a G42 and I recently purchased a G43X. That's all my Glocks.

Posts: 2 | Location: Fort Worth Texas | Registered: January 30, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by adamsgt:
A G21 was the first Glock that I purchased. I have no idea what Gen it is.

It's pretty easy to figure out. G21s will be either Gen 2, Gen 3, or Gen 4. (There are no Gen 1 or Gen 5 G21s, though a Gen 5 may be released at some later date.)

Does the slide say "21 Gen 4"? If so, it's a Gen 4.

If not, and the slide just says "21" (with no Gen 4 following), does it have finger grooves on the grip? If so, it's a Gen 3. If it has no finger grooves, it's a Gen 2.

Posts: 32486 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:

It's pretty easy to figure out. G21s will be either Gen 2, Gen 3, or Gen 4. (There are no Gen 1....

Just reading through this thread got me wondering what Gen my 21 is? I really don't know but am thinking it's a Gen 2. According to this site the 21 was in the first Gen as well though.
https://blog.talongungrips.com...r-glocks-generation/

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7070 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Firearms Enthusiast
Picture of Mustang-PaPa
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ridewv:
quote:

It's pretty easy to figure out. G21s will be either Gen 2, Gen 3, or Gen 4. (There are no Gen 1....

Just reading through this thread got me wondering what Gen my 21 is? I really don't know but am thinking it's a Gen 2. According to this site the 21 was in the first Gen as well though.
https://blog.talongungrips.com...r-glocks-generation/

Lets not forget the Gen 2.5 Glock 21. I have one!

Posts: 18026 | Location: South West of Fort Worth, Tx. | Registered: December 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mustang-PaPa:

Heck maybe that's what I have? I need to get my G21 out and determine just which one it is? I do agree with those posting just how both soft and accurate they shoot.

Posts: 7070 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
According to this site the 21 was in the first Gen as well though.

Nope. No such thing as a Gen 1 G21. Glock switched to Gen 2s in 1988, with the last Gen 1s being produced in mid-1988. The G21 came out in 1990.

They're also wrong about the 20, 22, and 23. The G22 and G23 debuted in 1990, and the G21 debuted in 1991.

The only Gen 1 Glocks were the 17, 18, 17L, and a tiny number (16) of very early semi-prototype 19s made from 19 slides on cut down Gen 1 17 frames. Actual G19 production began shortly thereafter with the Gen 2.

Posts: 32486 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mustang-PaPa:

True. Though that's an unofficial designation, and they're probably more properly referred to as "early rail-less Gen 3s". They were produced for a couple months before the rail was introduced.

For those who haven't encountered one, it's a Gen 3 G21 without an accessory rail.

(Somewhat confusingly, "Gen 2.5" is also used to refer to early subcompact Glocks with smooth finger grooves.)

posted Hide Post
2-3 months ago I bought a Gen 4, G21 at the LGS. They had and, still have, boxes of .45 for sale with a 1 or 2 box limit. This past weekend, they had another new G21 for sale.

The G21 is big. I imagine if Dan Blocker were still alive or if they ever did a modern Bonanza series, Hoss would be carrying a G21 and Little Joe would be carrying a G17L.

Due to my eyesight continuing to degrade, I'm going to send out the G21 slide to be milled for an optic.

Posts: 1447 | Location: Western WA | Registered: September 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I very much appreciate the G21 stationed in my vehicle on standby along with 40 of his trusted chunky little friends.

Posts: 3474 | Location: Lehigh Valley, PA | Registered: March 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
OK Rogue I trust you, thanks.

Would this be a Gen 2 then?

quote:
quote:
According to this site the 21 was in the first Gen as well though.

Nope. No such thing as a Gen 1 G21. Glock switched to Gen 2s in 1988, with the last Gen 1s being produced in mid-1988. The G21 came out in 1990.

They're also wrong about the 20, 22, and 23. The G22 and G23 debuted in 1990, and the G21 debuted in 1991.

The only Gen 1 Glocks were the 17, 18, 17L, and a tiny number (16) of very early semi-prototype 19s made from 19 slides on cut down Gen 1 17 frames. Actual G19 production began shortly thereafter with the Gen 2.

Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
No sir. That would be a blue error message. Big Grin

Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
Darn the images are showing up for me, let me try once more.

Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Better!

Yep, that's a Gen 2. The serial puts it at 1992.

Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
Thank you Rogue!

BTW great part of Arkansas you are in.

Working for Water
Picture of Chance228
posted Hide Post
I can attest to the Gen4 Glock 21's performance and reliability. I carried one on duty for approximately 6 years. It was also my sidearm as a member of our regional tactical team. I put thousands of rounds through it without one hiccup. Solid choice for a fighting 45.

Posts: 1051 | Location: Central New Jersey | Registered: February 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post