SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    The Underappreciated Glock 21
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Underappreciated Glock 21 Login/Join 
Road Dog
Picture of BennerP220
posted Hide Post
I will never get rid of my P220 as it was my first duty gun. With that being said if Glock releases a gen 5 21, I will get one.

Our city police department has issued G21s for years and have had great success with them.

Posts: 3446 | Location: Southwest Indiana | Registered: December 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironbutt
posted Hide Post
PA Dept of Corrections CERT (Corrections Emergency Response Team) used them when I was there. They were never babied, and always went bang. They were big, fat, ugly things though. That wide, flat receiver always reminded me of the deck of an aircraft carrier.Smile

------------------------------------------------

"It's hard to imagine a more stupid or dangerous way of making decisions, than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2048 | Location: PA | Registered: September 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
Love my G21SF. Able to get a grip and has a satisfying thump...13 times.

What's not to appreciate? Cool

Posts: 7495 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
G21 was one of the few guns I sold/traded in my life. I have at best medium sized hands. I had an original 21 and that grip felt like the proverbial 2x4 in my hands. Never could warm up to that. Traded it for a Beretta Centurion which then magically became a G23 which I converted into a 19 RDS version.

I would have benefited from the SF version which if I understand this correctly basically morphed into the gen4. I still have the original mags because the guy I was trading with was kind of a dick so I told him that it would only cone with a 10 rounder. Which I’m glad I did because his gun was not even close to how he described it. Anyway, I assume all the mags fit all the guns?

Maybe I will try a gen4.

Posts: 7472 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Former G21 owner here. Great gun with the usual boringly reliable Glock performance. I sold it due to size and loaded weight. I tried a G30 but felt it offered no real advantage over a Commander size 1911.
The Glocks did not and could not replace my ancient P220. But you cant say they are not great guns!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16087 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:
I would have benefited from the SF version which if I understand this correctly basically morphed into the gen4.

Kinda. The Gen 3 G21SF has a slightly slimmer grip than the standard Gen 3 G21. And then the Gen 4 G21 with no backstraps installed is the same grip thickness as the G21SF.

So in the context of grip thickness, the Gen 3 21SF sorta morphed into the backstrapless Gen 4. But there were a number of other changes between the Gen 3s and Gen 4s besides just that.

quote:
Anyway, I assume all the mags fit all the guns?

Yes, with one caveat. There was a small run of special Gen 3 G21s, with a true picatinny rail and a dual/ambi magazine release. These specific G21s need G21 mags with a special cutout on the front to accomodate the nonstandard two-sided mag release. Standard G21 mags without that horizontal cutout won't fit those.

But otherwise, when dealing with standard Gen 3 and Gen 4 G21s, standard G21 mags are interchangeable. And mags with that horizontal cutout on the front will also work in standard G21s.

Basically, if you want to ensure your old mags work with your new G21, just don't buy one of those special M1913 ambi-release G21s.

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Rogue brought up some good points about the G21 in Arkansas LE holsters. I'm on the NE side of the state, and we consistently see a large number of G21s. Many local sheriff's departments, some central Arkansas PDs, and until recently, State Parks, issued G21s.

Our number of G21s stays steady. Always 7-10, including this current class. The students who bring them are most often completely satisfied, and the accuracy of the model always impresses me. When we shoot for class "Top Gun," it's not uncommon for one of the contenders to be using a G21.

I love my old W. German P220 and SA TRP. The P220 was my duty weapon back when I first started in the early 90s, so I have a connection with the P220, but as I've aged, the soft recoil and capacity of the G21 just make it easier for me to handle these days. It's just a joy to shoot and accuracy is superb.

I hope to retire someday very soon, and I have no intention of going back out on the street, but if I did, I'd probably do it with the G21 and HST +P.

I did ask the Glock LE Regional Manager about a Gen 5 Glock 21, and he said that there were no plans for one, but that was subject to change.

Posts: 1091 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
I have a g21 and G41, both gen4. They are the only two pistols (other than a couple of my 1911’s) I can consistently back off to 50 yards and ring a 6” plate.
I only consider myself a mediocre pistol shorter at best, and with these Mark I eyeballs nearing 50 years in use, it impresses me and a few of my friends. But I have long maintained that my eyes are calibrated for 45acp. It seems to be the round I can just hit with consistently.

Posts: 6304 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
Originally posted by jbourneidentity:
At the LE academy where I teach, I see 140 new police officers every year. In an average class of 70, I'll see 7-10 Glock 21s in holsters.

jlbourneidentity and I teach at academies at opposite ends of the state. What's interesting is that G21s are actually pretty uncommon on this side of the state. I may see 1 in a class, and then go 3-4 classes before seeing another random one.

This is likely because none of the major departments in this area use the G21, other than one agency that normally issues the G22 but has a handful of G21s that they allow some of their guys to choose when available. But I believe even they are doing away with those few G21s, since they're in the process of fully transitioning to the Gen 5 G17.

(As noted, the Arkansas State Police have issued the G21 for many years, but they run their own in-house academy so we don't see any of their recruits come through ours.)

So really the only cadets that I see with G21s in their holsters are the occasional cadets from smaller agencies who had to provide their own guns, and chose the G21.

Off the top of my head, I usually see about 95% of cadets with G22/G23 or G17/G19 (with a big swing towards the 9mms lately as many .40 agencies transition to 9mm), then 4% M&P/P320, then 1% Other, including the occasional G21, one particular small agency that issues 1911s, and very rarely something else a bit more exotic like a Beretta or FN.

quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:
I thought about the 21 but got a 30 instead. Smaller, a little harder to shoot but not that hard.

quote:
Originally posted by T.Webb:
I ended up walking out with a G30. I shot it Sunday, and I'm just not all that thrilled with it.

I find the G30 to be noticeably harder to shoot well than the G21. It actually feel bigger/girthier in my hands, likely due to the different positioning of the "hump" on the backstrap. Whereas the G21 just feels right.

I'm issued a G17, but I have fairly large hands, and the G21 actually feels better than the G17 in my hands. However, I tend to shoot the G17 a bit better in live fire. But if I had to provide my own duty weapon, the G21 would certainly be in the running.

Nice FDE!!

Posts: 1091 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
Good post. I've flirted with the idea of a G21 for years, but have always ended up spending the money on something else. Now you've got me thinking I need one.

You won't regret it. It checks a box, for sure.

posted Hide Post
I had a Glock21SF and didn't care for it. Installed a Zev trigger and it was much better, but it still sat in the safe most of the time. As far as polymers are concerned, I much prefer my M&P45 for better ergos. If I'm in the mood for some hammer action, I pull out the HK45.

Posts: 493 | Registered: April 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Had one. Really liked it. Had it milled for RDS and a Bar-sto barrel. More accurate then my G17s. Then I deglocked my safe to reduce # of different mags needed on hand. And because the G21 trigger just didn't feel good after a P22X legion trigger. And the take down lever was a pain for me. If I had to do it again, I would get a G20/40.

Posts: 146 | Registered: August 31, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I fell in love with the 21 after going to Glock's armorers class in 1992. I was able to get put on the waiting list for one of the first ones available for sale to individual officers and I have never looked back. I have let smaller handed shooters use
the pistol and they have all stated the lack of recoil compared to other .45 acp pistols. I wish that Glock will do the Gen 5 treatment for the 21 just for the trigger if nothing else. VI

Posts: 646 | Registered: July 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
My first G21, a G21SF with the picatinny rail, was the problematic one. I traded mine before Glock came out with a new trigger bar for the pistol. If you ever come across an older G21SF with the full picatinny rail, look to see if it has a "-1" trigger bar. If not, it might be for sale because they were very problematic with respect to returning to battery, along with the early G30SFs. Those two models were the subject of one of the longest threads in a Glock forum's history.

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jbourneidentity:
Nice FDE!!

Thanks! It's part of a batch of "full FDE" Gen 4 Glocks that were made as a special run for the Davidsons distributor a few years back (2016ish?).

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good gun. The G21 and the G20’s are really the only Glocks I can tolerate. The G21 is an accurate gun. I know CPDSig runs one and loves it!!! We had a small statured female in my academy class than ran a G21 very well. It is a controllable handgun.

Our state patrol for many years gave the choice of their troopers for duty use a G21 or G22. Now they all went to the G45. IIRC the Omaha PD gives their officers the choice of 9mm Glocks and 45acp Glocks as duty weapons.

Posts: 4054 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who Woulda
Ever Thought?
posted Hide Post
13+1 of 45 ACP, what's not to like? If you like the 21 you would love a slender slide 41.

Posts: 6587 | Registered: August 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A guy who went by the name of "Big Bore" had a running account online for some time, of his trial and testing of the G21. He beat it up, drug it behind his truck, ran over it, threw it out of an airplane, ran two hundred thousand rounds through it. It didn't hiccup. He finally retired it and put it on his mantle.

When he tossed it out of a Cessna, no round in the chamber, but a full magazine, the pistol buried itself in the ground. He knocked the dirt off and attempted to fire it, but it wouldn't chamber. He figured he'd finally broken it. Turned out the rounds in the magazine were deformed from the impact. He put in fresh ammunition and fired a magazine through the pistol without incident.

Probably things one doesn't normally do with one's pistol, but it was entertaining and interesting to follow.

I like thin 1911's. I just picked up a Wilson Ultra Carry a few days ago. The G21 is anything but thin, nothing like a 1911. I like the wider backstrap of the G21; it makes for a comfortable shooting .45.

I have a G36 and G30, and like them. The G40 has nice balance and is a great pistol. The G21 to me is an outstanding all-around .45 acp pistol. There's nothing refined about it. Trigger, tolerances, fit, finish, ergonomics, etc. But it's a reliable, consistent, accurate, easy to shoot handgun. I don't have big hands, but it's comfortable to hold and to shoot. Doesn't break. Tolerates abuse. A plastic energizer bunny. What's not to like?

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Carried a G21 as a Pennsylvania State Trooper and took it into a small department after I retired. When I quit that, I sold it to another retired guy doing uniformed work and I went into a plainclothes job, now carrying a G30S. Both have never had an issue and I shoot them better than I should.
Only gun I shoot better is my P365.

Posts: 276 | Location: Pa | Registered: September 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
Loved my 21 and very much regret that I sold it to a friend. Wanting to replace it and being unable to find one, I got the slender version, a 41.

Posts: 3454 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post