SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    P229 Legion Light Prime strike
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P229 Legion Light Prime strike Login/Join 
posted
I have different firearm manufactures from old S&W to Glocks. I always wanted a SIG on my collection. So I jumped into a P229 Legion. The problem was that after 30 rounds, the brand new P229 started to have light prime strikes, it got to the point that no matter how many times I pulled the trigger, the primer will not go off. BTW, I tried that ammo stroked on my glock and went bang. I guess I got the ONE. The good thing, SIG took care of the problem as far as I can tell. I threw 100 rounds down the pipe and every round went bang. Kudos to SIG. I like the firearm very much and I can see why people likes them, but what do I know. I think all metal guns are time pieces.
I am wondering if anyone had the same experience on any new SIG.

Posts: 4 | Registered: April 21, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I haven't had any experiences with light primer strikes and I run Wolff 17lb. mainsprings in my P226's. What I did have years ago though on a brand new P226ST was a plastic mainspring base with a broken ear. I didn't try shooting it until I received the new part. I am sure I would have all kinds of problems if I had tried to shoot it.

Posts: 2551 | Location: Troy, MI | Registered: October 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
It's not common to have problems with SIGs. If you do, as you found out, they will fix it promptly and treat you well during the process.

Welcome to the forum.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20821 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah. There is one problem now. I am starting to get the bug of getting a P226 ;-)

posted Hide Post
Uncommon, but it happens. Good news is Sig will rectify it in a timely fashion. I've been buying Sigs since 1995 and all mine have worked right out of the box.

Welcome to the forum and to Sig World. It can be contagious. Smile

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gloom, despair and
agony on me.
Picture of drabfour
posted Hide Post
What ammo were you using when you had the light primer strikes?

Posts: 4986 | Location: Texas | Registered: July 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bumper
posted Hide Post
There have been some issues with light primer strikes and FTF related to the SRT (short reset parts) on some guns. If the following procedure is not followed, you will feel additional resistance as the slide is forced to travel over the safety lever upon removal or reassembly of slide to frame. Not following the procedure on SRT equipped guns can wear or damage parts and potentially cause the FTF problem.

This is "Appendix C" copied from Sig's website. Interesting they speak only to removal - I guess they are assuming the hammer will not have been cocked with the slide off for some reason.

Also, even though this is from their manual covering several models, it specifically says Elite series. My experience has been that the same parts, present the potential for slide bonking of the safety lever occur. The procedure described allows for more clearance between slide and safety lever while removing/installing slide.

Appendix C: SRT Supplemental Instructions
Thank you for purchasing our new Elite Series pistol with Short Reset Trigger (SRT)
System. Please be advised that there is an additional step in field stripping your
pistol equipped with an SRT system. Disregard procedure 8.1, steps 5 and 6 and
follow the steps listed below:
• Pull back the slide slightly to disengage the slide catch lever. Hold the slide
firmly and allow it to move forward slowly.
• As the slide reaches its closed position, decock the pistol. This will allow the
SRT safety lever to completely retract so the slide can be fully removed from the
frame.
• Now slip the complete assembly (comprised of slide, barrel, recoil spring and
guide rod) forward and off the frame.
Should you need any further support in disassembling your SRT equipped pistol,
please call our Customer Service Department at (603) 610-3000 ext 3.

Test to see if the above is related to FTF or light stike problem. Unload gun. Cock. Push on firing pin with suitable object (a stick or plastic rod works well as it won't mark the gun if you slip). Firing pin should be blocked and only move in a short distance. Now hold hammer back so it won't fall, and pull and hold the trigger. FP should release and go in further.

Now, repeat, this time just slightly restrain hammer and pull trigger very slowly. FP should ideally unblock before sear releases hammer. If it does not, FP may be striking safety plunger and this will then absorb some of the FP's energy resulting in light strikes.

Posts: 1299 | Location: Nevada, United States | Registered: April 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by drabfour:
What ammo were you using when you had the light primer strikes?

I was using Freedom Munitions. Never I have had a problem with it.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bumper:
There have been some issues with light primer strikes and FTF related to the SRT (short reset parts) on some guns. If the following procedure is not followed, you will feel additional resistance as the slide is forced to travel over the safety lever upon removal or reassembly of slide to frame. Not following the procedure on SRT equipped guns can wear or damage parts and potentially cause the FTF problem.

This is "Appendix C" copied from Sig's website. Interesting they speak only to removal - I guess they are assuming the hammer will not have been cocked with the slide off for some reason.

Also, even though this is from their manual covering several models, it specifically says Elite series. My experience has been that the same parts, present the potential for slide bonking of the safety lever occur. The procedure described allows for more clearance between slide and safety lever while removing/installing slide.

Appendix C: SRT Supplemental Instructions
Thank you for purchasing our new Elite Series pistol with Short Reset Trigger (SRT)
System. Please be advised that there is an additional step in field stripping your
pistol equipped with an SRT system. Disregard procedure 8.1, steps 5 and 6 and
follow the steps listed below:
• Pull back the slide slightly to disengage the slide catch lever. Hold the slide
firmly and allow it to move forward slowly.
• As the slide reaches its closed position, decock the pistol. This will allow the
SRT safety lever to completely retract so the slide can be fully removed from the
frame.
• Now slip the complete assembly (comprised of slide, barrel, recoil spring and
guide rod) forward and off the frame.
Should you need any further support in disassembling your SRT equipped pistol,
please call our Customer Service Department at (603) 610-3000 ext 3.

Test to see if the above is related to FTF or light stike problem. Unload gun. Cock. Push on firing pin with suitable object (a stick or plastic rod works well as it won't mark the gun if you slip). Firing pin should be blocked and only move in a short distance. Now hold hammer back so it won't fall, and pull and hold the trigger. FP should release and go in further.

Now, repeat, this time just slightly restrain hammer and pull trigger very slowly. FP should ideally unblock before sear releases hammer. If it does not, FP may be striking safety plunger and this will then absorb some of the FP's energy resulting in light strikes.

You are correct, it is in the manual. SIG work order stated "change fire pin and spring".

posted Hide Post
It's possible your firing pin just broke. I had read an article here years ago about a detective that used the wrong holster and bypassed internal safeties on his SIG to get it to fit. Long story short, he dropped it and it went off and killed him. I was checking my P229 to see how that would happen and found my firing pin would protrude from the hole and stay there. It would push back in with very little pressure (a lot less than a case recoiling against the breech), but the pistol never failed. Got it fixed as soon as I found this, but no way of knowing how long it'd been that way. Anyway, stuff happens, just make sure you pay attention to what the gun is telling you. Glad you got fixed up right.

------------------------------------------------
Charter member of the vast, right-wing conspiracy

Posts: 1860 | Registered: June 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post