SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    P229R in 22LR able to go up to 9mm?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P229R in 22LR able to go up to 9mm? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Bear, versatile setup you have. Some time back bought my personal Sigs with AEP, new from factory and had/have Barsto 9mm conversation barrel, requiring only barrel and 9mm mag to turn 40 to 9, then also added 357 Sig barrel to use with 40-357 mags and only bought a 22 kit for 229, Did same thing for my Glock 23,27; and 35. Sold quite a few guns with this configuration and added CT laser grips, too!

Getting old and having mobility issues, so have reluctantly accepted fact that I need to just retire, as not coming back adequately after spinal and hip surgeries.

Will be getting an ad up next week with my personal 229 set up as above, an all stainless, pre Elite, same way; plus another 226 that came in 357 from Sig with AEP, NS: but not CT grips
Believe it has both Barsto 9mm conversion and Barsto 40 OEM replacement. As 9mm is current most popular caliber due to police reverting to 9 from 40, IMHO, not because it is a better cartridge: but because it is cheaper and smaller statured women, minorities; or new shooters with little to no shooting experience will find it easier to shoot in 9mm and scores for even experienced shooters have risen after switching to 9; but that doesn't mean terminal ballistic effects of new 9 can match that of similar 40 or 357 Sig! Using say Hornady Critical Duty 124Gr 9mm against 180 gr Critical Duty 40 or I think it is 135Gr(I think) Critical Duty in 357 Sig and 9mm blown away, 38 Super, too

Don't know how many on this board are familiar with Gun Tests Magazine that doesn't accept any ads and buys guns, ammo, etc on open market and list their their testing protocols and 357 Sig out performed all others tested!

www.OrdnanceOutsellers.com
jerry@OrdnanceOutsellers.com

770-977-0662

Posts: 5227 | Location: Marietta, Ga. | Registered: August 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
AK the rear sight on "standard" 229 is drift adjustable, left or right, Before moving sight, I'd have a buddy who is a good shot try it to see what happens? Nice group, so your shooting is consistent and good! You might want to check and experiment with your trigger finger placement on face of trigger and grip pressure exerted by each hand/
Where does trigger finger joint place on trigger face? If center of pad, over to beginning of first distal joint, that is ideal position. However, if first distal joint or 2nd pad, will pull barrel muzzle slightly in either direction. If you are right handed, shooting two handed grip, the right hand should not be gripped too tight, as right hand is intended to have softer, not too tight a grip, permitting more exact trigger manipulation. Left hand is "control" hand for stabilizing grip; but is a balancing act to have just the right balance of grip pressure between right and left hand, so if too strong can push muzzle a little to the right, experiment a little changing up technique and see what happens? Your group shows you are very close, so little adjustment needed.

770-977-0662

Posts: 5227 | Location: Marietta, Ga. | Registered: August 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of AKsarben
posted Hide Post
Finding someone locally that shoots better than me has been hard, and most do not. Besides, I've been shooting pistols since 1971, so whatever memory or trigger "I" have is probably ingrained in stone. It's easier for me to adjust the sight than to remember to adjust my shooting. Once I get the sights adjusted, the shooting will be where "I" end up hitting the target.

It just did not look like the rear sight was drift adjustable like the front. With the rear you move your sight in the direction of where your want your shots to hit. In my case, that would be move rear sight left, or front sight right. Smile

For example, this is a target shot with the P320 at 25 feet with 34 round and it is "slightly" to the left. If I were consistently pulling to the right, then I would also have most of the rounds hitting to the right.

Vern
Sic Semper Tyrannis
vernon (at)sig2022.com
www.taurus45acp.com my personal web site with NRA-ILA feed and some interesting links.
*Sig 522, *Sig SP2022 9mm, SIG P320 9mm & 45,SIG P229-22LR, AR-15 in 6.8SPCII, AR-10-308, S&W Shield .45

Forgiveness is between them and God, it's my job to arrange the meeting

Posts: 319 | Location: Fennville, Michigan, USA | Registered: June 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Busier than a cat covering
crap on a marble floor
Picture of Z06
posted Hide Post
Like others in this thread I started with a P229 22 Classic and moved into 3 additional calibers.

I saved $395 by buying the .22 first and adding caliber conversions later.
.22 lr - 9mm - .357 SIG - .40 S&W - Gemtech Tundra & Gemtech Outback IID

Posts: 4027 | Location: AZ | Registered: July 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of AKsarben
posted Hide Post
Very Nice !!!!

Vern
Sic Semper Tyrannis
vernon (at)sig2022.com
www.taurus45acp.com my personal web site with NRA-ILA feed and some interesting links.
*Sig 522, *Sig SP2022 9mm, SIG P320 9mm & 45,SIG P229-22LR, AR-15 in 6.8SPCII, AR-10-308, S&W Shield .45

Posts: 319 | Location: Fennville, Michigan, USA | Registered: June 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
AK, your technique is just fine, deal with sights!

Didn't mean to question your abilities: but some people do that and therefore pattern is repeated with any pistol they shoot!

That 320 is the shi.z!

770-977-0662

Picture of AKsarben
posted Hide Post
I adjusted the rear sight to the left. At first too much and my impacts were to the left of the 1/2" bulls eye "dot". So moved back to the right just a bit. and got this result. I think I'll just leave it alone. This is with Federal 9mm bulk pack and will have to see what it does with the Winchester talon I have.

Vern
Sic Semper Tyrannis
vernon (at)sig2022.com

Picture of AKsarben
posted Hide Post
Tried out the SIG P229 9mm with my carry ammo, Winchester RA9T JHP. Looks pretty good for group. also got in new 15 round SIG magazine and it says "made in Italy" in small letters on the side.

Vern
Sic Semper Tyrannis
vernon (at)sig2022.com