SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    P229R in 22LR able to go up to 9mm?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P229R in 22LR able to go up to 9mm? Login/Join 
Picture of AKsarben
posted
If I get a 9mm slide and barrel for a new SIG P229R pistol I just bought that shoots .22 LR, will that work? This P229R has the de-cocking lever, etc and feels for all practical purposes that it was made as a full size pistol but has this .22 slide barrel/spring in it. Nice 2 plastic magazines... except I found out I can take out the bottom spring guide and actually put 15 in there instead of 10 rounds, I put in a rubber piece, about the size of the magazine spring from God knows where I got these, but they seem to work at getting 15 still in there but a little more "spring" . No jams from the change of springs, but plenty from the actual pistol

I had to polish the ramp and slide quite a bit and found out that MUCH oil makes for reliable feeding. Had quite a few stove pipe and Fail To Feed before doing quite a bit of hand polishing on the slide part that meets the hammer. It was sticking back and with the weaker spring, unable to go forward into battery unless I nudged it a bit. Was hoping for better QC from SIG.

Vern
Sic Semper Tyrannis
vernon (at)sig2022.com
www.taurus45acp.com my personal web site with NRA-ILA feed and some interesting links.
*Sig 522, *Sig SP2022 9mm, SIG P320 9mm & 45,SIG P229-22LR, AR-15 in 6.8SPCII, AR-10-308, S&W Shield .45

Forgiveness is between them and God, it's my job to arrange the meeting

Posts: 319 | Location: Fennville, Michigan, USA | Registered: June 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
Yeah, just get a caliber X-change kit and go.

I shoot my 220 SAO in .22 far, far more often than I shoot it in .45. Handy conversion, for sure.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AKsarben:

I had to polish the ramp and slide quite a bit and found out that MUCH oil makes for reliable feeding. Had quite a few stove pipe and Fail To Feed before doing quite a bit of hand polishing on the slide part that meets the hammer. It was sticking back and with the weaker spring, unable to go forward into battery unless I nudged it a bit. Was hoping for better QC from SIG.

Yes with the correct X-change kit.

What 22LR are you using? I find that CCI Mini Mags work best in mine. And rarely have any issues with CCI. If I use cheap ammo then I have had some issues.

Also I use grease and not oil to lube mine.

Posts: 875 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: May 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of AKsarben
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sparkyk:
quote:

Yes with the correct X-change kit.

What 22LR are you using? I find that CCI Mini Mags work best in mine. And rarely have any issues with CCI. If I use cheap ammo then I have had some issues.

Also I use grease and not oil to lube mine.

It is the 229R-22-BAS which I understand is the classic model. I have CCI That work pretty well. My problem was that the pistol was new, no oil (lubrication) in the slide area and that spring sure could be a bit beefier. Winchester stuck in the chamber, which is somewhat to be expected. Don't know if you all realize, but Winchester is just a bit larger diameter than something like Aguila, CCI or Federal. Federal works very well out of the pistol.

Federal seems to be a pretty tight group. 17 round (I changed the magazine a bit. Smile

This message has been edited. Last edited by: AKsarben,

Vern
Sic Semper Tyrannis
vernon (at)sig2022.com
www.taurus45acp.com my personal web site with NRA-ILA feed and some interesting links.
*Sig 522, *Sig SP2022 9mm, SIG P320 9mm & 45,SIG P229-22LR, AR-15 in 6.8SPCII, AR-10-308, S&W Shield .45

Posts: 319 | Location: Fennville, Michigan, USA | Registered: June 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wgsigs
posted Hide Post
If you are actually talking about just a slide and barrel, then no. There are other things like a 9mm recoil spring and maybe guide rod. Everything you would need will be included in the correct X-Change Kit, along with one 9mm mag.

Posts: 2807 | Location: Texas | Registered: July 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of AKsarben
posted Hide Post
Was thinking exchange kit, with spring, guide rod, etc. Just take down the pistol and replace the slide with the one that has barrel/spring/guide rod. Also is it 10 round or 15 round 9mm?

Vern
Sic Semper Tyrannis
vernon (at)sig2022.com

Picture of wgsigs
posted Hide Post
quote:
Was thinking exchange kit, with spring, guide rod, etc. Just take down the pistol and replace the slide with the one that has barrel/spring/guide rod. Also is it 10 round or 15 round 9mm?

SIG makes kits with either 10 rd or 15 rd mags so depending on which state you live in determines which one you can buy.

Posts: 2807 | Location: Texas | Registered: July 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Admittedly, not as current on all things Sig as I used to be: but if memory serves, those with a centerfire caliber 220,226; or 229 could buy a relatively inexpensive 22 kit with one mag for a reasonable price. Thinking it will be much more expense to purchase complete slide, barrel; and recoil spring; plus mag to do it the way you are suggestion and may have availability issue of buying separate complete slide assembly, including barrel?

www.OrdnanceOutsellers.com
jerry@OrdnanceOutsellers.com

770-977-0662

Posts: 5227 | Location: Marietta, Ga. | Registered: August 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wgsigs
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ordnance Outsell:
Admittedly, not as current on all things Sig as I used to be: but if memory serves, those with a centerfire caliber 220,226; or 229 could buy a relatively inexpensive 22 kit with one mag for a reasonable price. Thinking it will be much more expense to purchase complete slide, barrel; and recoil spring; plus mag to do it the way you are suggestion and may have availability issue of buying separate complete slide assembly, including barrel?

Actually, what I remember is it was the other way around. When the P229/P226 .22LR Classic first came out, it was cheaper to buy the .22LR Classic and one of the centerfire Two-Step Caliber X-Change Kits than it was to just buy a P229 or P226 in 9mm, .40, or .357 by at least a hundred dollars.

Also, the X-Change Kit whether 9mm, .40, .357, or 22LR is a complete slide assembly

The thing is the OP already has a P229R .22LR Classic and not a centerfire P229R.

Picture of JAFO
posted Hide Post
Did 9mm X-change kits for a 229 come with a 15-rd or a 13-rd magazine? Just curious, as I have several 15-rd, but they are all from MecGar. All my Sig-branded 229 9mm mags are 13-rd.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><>
"I drank what?" - Socrates

Posts: 5181 | Location: S.A., TX | Registered: July 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
wgsig, believe you may be right, long time since I thought about it.

Kits came with 13 rd mags, I'm pretty sure.
15 rd mags came with just a few select models

770-977-0662

Posts: 5227 | Location: Marietta, Ga. | Registered: August 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of AKsarben
posted Hide Post
SIG website: https://www.sigsauer.com/store...-p229-1-9mm-blk.html 15 round magazine.

They had 3 in stock yesterday, and 1 today.... so I bought it. Smile

Vern
Sic Semper Tyrannis
vernon (at)sig2022.com

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wgsigs:
quote:
Originally posted by Ordnance Outsell:

Actually, what I remember is it was the other way around. When the P229/P226 .22LR Classic first came out, it was cheaper to buy the .22LR Classic and one of the centerfire Two-Step Caliber X-Change Kits than it was to just buy a P229 or P226 in 9mm, .40, or .357 by at least a hundred dollars.

Also, the X-Change Kit whether 9mm, .40, .357, or 22LR is a complete slide assembly

The thing is the OP already has a P229R .22LR Classic and not a centerfire P229R.

It absolutely was cheaper. I paid like $450 for my P226 .22lr. I've still been on the hunt for a 9mm slide for it but I'm in no real rush. I believe the x-change kits are around $300 when on sale.

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wgsigs
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JAFO:
Did 9mm X-change kits for a 229 come with a 15-rd or a 13-rd magazine? Just curious, as I have several 15-rd, but they are all from MecGar. All my Sig-branded 229 9mm mags are 13-rd.

Logically, the Classic 22LR frame has to be a P229-1 like (wide magazine well) frame to be able to accept the .40/.357 slides and magazines. What I don't remember is whether the 15rd P229-1 mags were available back when the Classic 22LR P229 initially came out. If they weren't, then a 13rd P228/P229 would have been included.

I know the current 9mm exchange Kits include 15rd, probably P229-1, mags.

posted Hide Post
Glad to know kits are still around; and that they upgraded a little to provide 15, rather than 13 rounds! Always thought the 22 was a good idea to introduce new shooters to handguns; plus be a way to rehone skills that might have become rusty,

770-977-0662

Picture of kent j
posted Hide Post
I have one of the P229r classics and bought a 9mm two step kit for it. Have had no failures with it. Had it for 7-8 years.

Regards, Kent j

You can learn something from everyone you meet, If nothing else you can learn you don't want to be like them
It's only racist to those who want it to be.
It's a magazine, clips are for potato chips and hair

Posts: 294 | Location: Southern Indiana | Registered: December 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of AKsarben
posted Hide Post
9mm kit came in today. Slide/spring/barrel and on 15 round magazine P229-1 It is the newer wider style and fits this P229 I have like a glove. Shot 30 rounds in the back yard after work. I live in the country Wink Shot great, no feed or other issues.
Ordered another magazine for it once I was convinced all things would work. Had to look for the newer E2 magazine, ones with P229-1 MAG-229-9-15-E2 is the model. Older magazines would not work according to many websites, and many websites were sold out. Found one in Arizona. Holds a nice group, BTW

This message has been edited. Last edited by: AKsarben,

Vern
Sic Semper Tyrannis
vernon (at)sig2022.com

posted Hide Post
AK, glad to hear about your good results. Hope you enjoy for many thousands of rounds!

770-977-0662

Picture of AKsarben
posted Hide Post
shot the 9mm P229 (new slide & barrel) Wed out back on my range. Shoots pretty decent! Looks like I need to move my front sight to the right a bit as it appears to be shooting just a little right. Rear sight does not appear to have an ability to move

Vern
Sic Semper Tyrannis
vernon (at)sig2022.com

Picture of bearverine
posted Hide Post
Back in the day I bought my 22 classic first, then a .40 caliber exchange kit from Central Auto Parts. Later I got one of Maui Wowie's .357 Sig barrels.
After that I got a .22 threaded barrel, and I still shoot it more with that barrel and a suppressor than any other way.
I'm still looking for a 9mm conversion barrel. Preferably for 15 cents. LOL
For a long time I carried it most often. With the .40 slide, of course.

As honor follows service, so the westerner travels to the east.

Posts: 478 | Location: Winchester, Indiana | Registered: April 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post