SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Original Sphinx vs Current CZ - how do they fare?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Original Sphinx vs Current CZ - how do they fare? Login/Join 
Frequent Denizen
of the Twilight Zone
Picture of SIGWolf
posted
Bought this a few years ago. It was only lightly used and came with one 14 round and one 10 round magazine. I bought a few more 10 round mags from the dealer (I'm sure they came with the gun when he bought it from the owner). I was sure I wouldn't be able to find any more. It came with box and papers. Seemed to be all but a safe queen.

However, I was lucky to find five more 14 rounders, although they came at a high price.

Anyone with experience with Sphinx and CZ care to opine whether CZs are of the same quality, fit, finish and accuracy as the Sphinx?

They have a very high reputation which, I believe, from what I've read is not entirely deserved. They were not without they issues and problems. Still, are current CZs up to the same standard?

Posts: 17342 | Location: Northern Vermont | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
How does it shoot? And, what were the issues with these? I remember these from the early 90s and thought, "They look such quality, but man, they are expensive".

Q

Posts: 26352 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post
I have no experience with the sphinx, but the CZ's can be phenomenal guns... but it most likely isn't that way off the shelf. That being said, they are fairly easy to get "right" with after market parts and elbow grease.

Posts: 5383 | Location: MS | Registered: June 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frequent Denizen
of the Twilight Zone
Picture of SIGWolf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
How does it shoot? And, what were the issues with these? I remember these from the early 90s and thought, "They look such quality, but man, they are expensive".

Very accurate, soft shooter and feels great, fits my hand extremely well. The trigger is excellent out of the box.

I think the problems were mostly with the full-size model and perhaps mostly with the .40 when it came out; cracked frames and slides.

I’d like to shoot a comparably sized CZ and see how the two feel side by side.

Posts: 17342 | Location: Northern Vermont | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
I have been shooting CZs for many years and own 'a bunch'... from the CZ-82-CZ-75B-CZ-P01, SP-01, etc...
and they are great pistols and a very good value.
About a year ago I purchased an SDP Compact for about $850 (CZ-75Bs are about $500+). The quality of the pistol is exceptional, both internals and exterior finish, and it was a flawless shoot. I have owned many, many pistols and I would have to say, for a 'stock' gun, the accuracy of the Sphinx would definitely be in the top 5%. For me, the 'hand-fit' was perfect and it was simply point-and-shoot.
If dollars are not an issue, I would get one. They are expensive, however, if you want ONE 9mm that's top-of-the-line, the SDP would be it. Honestly, shooting it next to a CZ-75B or P-01, which I have done many times... there is no comparison. The Sphinx IS a top-of-the-line pistol.

Posts: 90 | Registered: December 23, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frequent Denizen
of the Twilight Zone
Picture of SIGWolf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sagemind100:
I have been shooting CZs for many years and own 'a bunch'... from the CZ-82-CZ-75B-CZ-P01, SP-01, etc...
About a year ago I purchased an SDP Compact for about $850 (CZ-75Bs are about $500+). The quality of the pistol is exceptional, both internals and exterior finish, and it was a flawless shoot. I have owned many, many pistols and I would have to say, for a 'stock' gun, the accuracy of the Sphinx would definitely be in the top 5%. For me, the 'hand-fit' was perfect and it was simply point-and-shoot.
If dollars are not an issue, I would get one. They are expensive, however, if you want ONE 9mm that's top-of-the-line, the SDP would be it. Honestly, shooting it next to a CZ-75B or P-01, which I have done many times... there is no comparison. The Sphinx IS a top-of-the-line pistol.

Thanks for the review! This one is the forefather of the SDP. I might look into the SDP as well.

I'm Pickle Rick!
Picture of Pickle Rick
posted Hide Post
Not familiar with the SDP. I do have a CZ 75B Stainless. It appears that some have reported issues with the finish of the guns interior mine looks great inside. I have been fortunate in that regard. Trigger isn't to bad either. In fact one of my better shooters and being all steel does aid in control for me.

Posts: 2873 | Location: Lancaster, PA. | Registered: February 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
The other issues with Sphinx guns were the overly tight chambers; SAAMI spec vs. the other one. Great for Swiss ammo but FTE's on US market ammo.

Posts: 3079 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
I have a Sphinx subcompact Alpha, and it is very well made. Have about 800 rounds through it with zero problems. It is very accurate.

Posts: 3251 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think you would have to compare to the CZ's from the custom shop. I own the Accu-Shadow and the SDP, they are, IMHO, phenomenal firearms for the money. I have played around with the Sphinx AT2000, beautiful gun, well fitted but for me it didn't do anything my Accu-shadow can't do. I will say I do prefer the looks of the AT2000 and appreciate the fact that it is rare but if you want a shooter and not a collectable the CZ is the way I would go. Just one man's opinion.

Posts: 246 | Location: Chicago Area | Registered: November 16, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGWolf:
quote:

Thanks for the review! This one is the forefather of the SDP. I might look into the SDP as well.

The SDP is no descendant of the Sphinx. Completely different animals, although they are of similar sizes. SDP has decocker and rail. Sphinx has safety with cocked-and-locked carry, and no rail. If the Sphinx is as exceptional as its owners say, than any stock compact CZs will not be able to compare. The SDP, by the way, is NOT a "stock" gun. It is simply a P-01 that has been through CZ Custom with fancy trigger/action work, competition hammer, night sights, fancy grips, stainless guide rod. The resulting trigger is excellent, but not exceptional, however (yes, I did own one, see below). Maybe it's because I've been spoiled by the action works of Robert Burke, but that's how it is.

quote:
Originally posted by GotDogs:
Not familiar with the SDP. I do have a CZ 75B Stainless. It appears that some have reported issues with the finish of the guns interior mine looks great inside. I have been fortunate in that regard. Trigger isn't to bad either. In fact one of my better shooters and being all steel does aid in control for me.

I too, used to have the polished stainless CZ 75B, and the finish was fine.

But, I've had 5 compact CZs, and the interior finish (or lack thereof) is nothing to write home about. Here is an example, the SDP I sold recently, same pics I showed in the ad. I made it known that it was crappy finishing.

Q

Posts: 26352 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frequent Denizen
of the Twilight Zone
Picture of SIGWolf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
quote:
Originally posted by SIGWolf:
quote:

The SDP is no descendant of the Sphinx. Completely different animals, although they are of similar sizes. SDP has decocker and rail. Sphinx has safety with cocked-and-locked carry, and no rail. If the Sphinx is as exceptional as its owners say, than any stock compact CZs will not be able to compare. The SDP, by the way, is NOT a "stock" gun. It is simply a P-01 that has been through CZ Custom with fancy trigger/action work, competition hammer, night sights, fancy grips, stainless guide rod. The resulting trigger is excellent, but not exceptional, however (yes, I did own one, see below). Maybe it's because I've been spoiled by the action works of Robert Burke, but that's how it is.

quote:
Originally posted by GotDogs:

I too, used to have the polished stainless CZ 75B, and the finish was fine.

But, I've had 5 compact CZs, and the interior finish (or lack thereof) is nothing to write home about. Here is an example, the SDP I sold recently, same pics I showed in the ad. I made it known that it was crappy finishing.

I thought the SDP he was referring to was the Sphinx/Kriss SDP, not a CZ. I reread it and see I was mistaken, he was referring to a CZ rather than the Sphinx/Kriss SDP.

Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Now that you mention it, I really have no idea which SDP he is talking about. But, my discussion is about the CZ SDP Compact, obviously.

Q

An investment in knowledge
pays the best interest
posted Hide Post
The Sphinx AT-2000 series was offered in DA/SA w/safety or decocker, as well as DAO. I owned the S and P versions at one point, and found them to be very accurate with one of the best triggers around. Unfortunately like PGT stated, many FTE occurred due to the overly tight chamber and I ended up selling mine for that reason. That and the pistol was brick heavy.

Posts: 3362 | Location: Mid-Atlantic | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
While I love mine... I've owned a couple CZ's and handled many of them across the various lines, and they've never struck me as particularly impressive in terms of fit and finish.

Posts: 21097 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frequent Denizen
of the Twilight Zone
Picture of SIGWolf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dakor:
The Sphinx AT-2000 series was offered in DA/SA w/safety or decocker, as well as DAO. I owned the S and P versions at one point, and found them to be very accurate with one of the best triggers around. Unfortunately like PGT stated, many FTE occurred due to the overly tight chamber and I ended up selling mine for that reason. That and the pistol was brick heavy.

Being all metal, it is heavy. I haven't had any issues with FTEs at this point.

Bone 4 Tuna
Picture of jjkroll32
posted Hide Post
Those and the CZ75 look so much better with the rounded trigger guard.

NRA Life Member

Long Live the Super Thirty-Eight

Posts: 11144 | Location: Mid-Michigan | Registered: October 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tooky13
posted Hide Post
I’ve got the Sphinx SDP Compact Alpha Halo, the Sphinx SDP Subcompact and a number of CZs. As far as fit and finish goes, there is no comparison. The Sphinx is, far and away, above the CZ. Even my Shadow 2 Custom and Shadow Line don’t compare, in my opinion. The term SDP (Standard Duty Pistol) is a pretty generic term, so I can see where it could be confusing, as earlier posts have shown.

The ergonomics of the Sphinx is excellent. The Compact is on par with the CZ PCR as far as fitting the hand like a glove. The Compact is a joy to shoot. Smooth as silk with minimal kick and, with fiber optic front sight, easy to aim. The Subcompact is a little more snappy, which you would expect, as is the case with most subs.

I’ve had them about 3 years and never had a single issue with the Compact. Early on, as PGT mentioned, I had some FTE’s with the Subcompact. I spent time polishing the chamber and that cured the problem. Probably have 500-600 rounds through it since then with absolutely no issues. I do like to carry the Sub, as it’s 13 +1 rounds, and with an additional compact mag (15 rounds) as backup. They even take the CZ mags, so I could carry an SP-01 mag (17 rounds) if I wanted. They’re really great pistols… pricey, but if you figure what you put into a CZ to get them to a comparable level as a Sphinx, the cost isn’t that different.

Also, I’ve heard of other members having problems with support from Kriss, but that was a while ago. Hopefully they’ve improved over time. So far, I’ve had no reason to go back to them… knock on wood!

[IMG:top]

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.
Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1308 | Location: Scottsdale, Arizona | Registered: December 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frequent Denizen
of the Twilight Zone
Picture of SIGWolf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tooky13:
I’ve got the Sphinx SDP Compact Alpha Halo, the Sphinx SDP Subcompact and a number of CZs. As far as fit and finish goes, there is no comparison. The Sphinx is, far and away, above the CZ. Even my Shadow 2 Custom and Shadow Line don’t compare, in my opinion. The term SDP (Standard Duty Pistol) is a pretty generic term, so I can see where it could be confusing, as earlier posts have shown.

The ergonomics of the Sphinx is excellent. The Compact is on par with the CZ PCR as far as fitting the hand like a glove. The Compact is a joy to shoot. Smooth as silk with minimal kick and, with fiber optic front sight, easy to aim. The Subcompact is a little more snappy, which you would expect, as is the case with most subs.

I’ve had them about 3 years and never had a single issue with the Compact. Early on, as PGT mentioned, I had some FTE’s with the Subcompact. I spent time polishing the chamber and that cured the problem. Probably have 500-600 rounds through it since then with absolutely no issues. I do like to carry the Sub, as it’s 13 +1 rounds, and with an additional compact mag (15 rounds) as backup. They even take the CZ mags, so I could carry an SP-01 mag (17 rounds) if I wanted. They’re really great pistols… pricey, but if you figure what you put into a CZ to get them to a comparable level as a Sphinx, the cost isn’t that different.

Also, I’ve heard of other members having problems with support from Kriss, but that was a while ago. Hopefully they’ve improved over time. So far, I’ve had no reason to go back to them… knock on wood!

[IMG:top]

Very nice! Thanks for the input.

Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post

On my third Sphinx SDP. Two SDP Subcompacts (one stolen) and one SDP Compact Duty. I had issues with the sights causing my POI to be easily 6-8” low and replace the rear sight with an adjustable Novak and never had another problem. Best pistols I’ve owned. I would like a CZ97 though.

Posts: 6009 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post