SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Best 1911 Under $1,000
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best 1911 Under $1,000 Login/Join 
LIBERTATEM DEFENDIMUS
Picture of Belgian Blue
posted Hide Post
For just a bit over $1,000 you could and should consider the Dan Wesson Vigil. Great pistols for the money if your OK with an alloy frame.

Right around $1,000 consider what Colt has to offer. Series 70 Competition models can be had in this price range. Also Spring Field Armory has a number of options in this price range as well.

Posts: 5415 | Registered: October 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bearverine
posted Hide Post
The Taurus idea isn't bad. Nor is a Ruger or a Remmy. I like USED Springers, but I'll not buy anymore new ones.

As honor follows service, so the westerner travels to the east.

Posts: 478 | Location: Winchester, Indiana | Registered: April 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For less than $1K, ANY Springfield Armory 1911 just below the TRP line. My personal favorite is the Range Officer Elite Operator. I have one in 9mm and I'm lucky to own it. While not the .45 caliber you want, the finish is superb, the fit is like a bank vault with absolutely no movement or rattle whatsoever, and the trigger is good. It has G10 grips, an ambi safety, red fiber optic front with white dot rear ledge sights, and national match barrel. I paid $848 and don't regret it. It has been reliable through about 300 rounds. I would expect the .45 version to be every bit as good as my 9mm.

My only complaint is that the front grip strap is not checkered. I'll get a Talon Grip 1911 front strap at some point, but the lack of checkering is my only gripe.

If you want a non-rail 1911, the Springfield Loaded line may be the best 1911 for the money on the market.

I know some folks had heartburn with SA a few years ago, and I totally understand, but they've since apologized and donated sums of money to gun rights groups, so I'm okay with the brand. Good luck.

Posts: 1087 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Retired, laying back
and enjoying life
Picture of low8option
posted Hide Post
Avid 1911 fan here. Been shooting and carrying them for over 50 years and currently have about 35 in my safe ranging from low end and up. Over the years I have owned and sold/traded off a lot more. Monoblok gave you a very good review on the guns in your price range. I've had good luck and bad luck with about every brand. IMHO the Taurus is a hit or miss proposition, have two of them and they have run great for a couple thousand rounds each but have a couple friends with them and they are crap. Owned 5 Rock Islands over the year and still have one and had no problems at all with them, current one in 10mm has over 3000 rounds through it and still going strong. They used to be the best entry level out there for the price. Colts are another gun that is a hit or miss. Got so tired of having to take a $1000+ gun to the smith right out of the box to get it right that I stopped buying them although I hear that they do a little better now days with their finish work. On the other hand once you get a Colt smoothed out they are about as good as you can get. My Remington has run well but is an early one and it would be an excellent choice but don't know about new ones. My Springfields, Ruger and S&Ws all perform well and I have a full size S&W that I can shoot as accurately as all my semi-custom and one custom jobs, so go figure. Having a large stable of guns to choose from, my carry is a DW. Good luck in your quest. Regardless of what you buy, save yourself a lot of aggravation and get good magazines for it.

Freedom comes from the will of man. In America it is guaranteed by the 2nd Amendment

Posts: 876 | Location: Northern Alabama | Registered: June 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Your Huckleberry
Picture of Glock Holiday
posted Hide Post
Been real happy with my S&W 1911.

Posts: 335 | Location: Burpleson AFB | Registered: August 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
Thank you guys for the feedback! That gives me a much better starting place. I'll see if it's in my budget to swing a Dan Wesson and will keep an eye out locally. Big thanks to sns3guppy and monoblok for the in depth opinions.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7057 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For what it's worth, I've been fondling the Wilson EDC X9 encountered them, and finally broke down and put one on layaway this last week. More of a 1911-style pistol than an actual 1911, it's close enough, with the same manual of arms, but well made, and triple the price range here. Also not a .45.

I'm a fan of CCO-pattern 1911's. That's an officer-length frame with a commander length slide, called a "concealed carry officers, or CCO pistol. I have several of various makes, but my favorite is a Dan Wesson CCO, in .45 acp. I think I paid about nine hundred for mine, but it's been a few years, now.

I still want a DW CBOB and VBOB. Gotta be in .45.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
For what it's worth, I've been fondling the Wilson EDC X9

If you've found a Wilson EDC X9 for sale for under $1k, I guarantee it's stolen. Big Grin

Posts: 32421 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This one was just under three grand, which is why it's on layaway and not at home right now.

The same shop did have three EDC's; the X9S, X9, and X9XL, all for dirt-cheap prices (relatively), and at least one under 1,500. I didn't pick them up, came back, and they were gone. Snoozing and loosing is the story of my sad, procrastinating, lazy life.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A Sig 45 NMR if you can find one.

Buy American-MAGA

Posts: 26 | Registered: September 08, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
LIBERTATEM DEFENDIMUS
Picture of Belgian Blue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
For what it's worth, I've been fondling the Wilson EDC X9

If you've found a Wilson EDC X9 for sale for under $1k, I guarantee it's stolen. Big Grin

I know a guy (a forum member) who’s got sweet two-tone EDC X9. Last time I checked, it was a safe queen. He’s probably bored with it by now. And my birthday is coming up. So, I’m keeping my fingers (and toes) crossed. Big Grin

Posts: 5415 | Registered: October 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think one that really flies under the radar is the Magnum Research Desert Eagle. I had a Kimber Custom TLE II for a while but ended up selling it. I wanted to get back into the scene and tried a few out. For me, this one had the most bang for the buck.

Posts: 5 | Registered: June 09, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcs1564
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIG4EVA:
I'll see if it's in my budget to swing a Dan Wesson and will keep an eye out locally.

Don't forget to keep an eye out on the usual auction forums. I picked up my DW Valor (wrong caliber - 9mm) for $1280.

If I didn't move on the Valor, I probably would've gave a Springfield Ronin a try.

------------
SP2022 - 9mm

Posts: 1260 | Location: CT | Registered: January 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
i have ruger sr 1911 ,i like shooting it very accurate but finniky with ammo .
but if i had to do over again i think i would hunt down an under 1000 dollar sig 1911

Posts: 52 | Location: pennsylvainia | Registered: July 05, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
My LGS was blowing out some insane deals on used guns a few months ago. I got two S&W PC 1911s, one a Lightweight Commander Bobtail and one full size, $399 each. The Commander-size one easily hangs with my Dan Wessons and at a fraction of the price. Love that gun to pieces.

Posts: 3492 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
$399

Don't hate me because I'm beautiful.

Posts: 3492 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Yeah, that's a hell of a good value.

Posts: 32421 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dividing by zero
since 1966
Picture of rekstrom
posted Hide Post
I have had my Smith and Wesson 1911 for about 12 years, and it has run perfectly. I only use good magazines and factory ammo in it though. Before that I had a Springield that was a bit finnicky, but OK. I like the Smith better. Oh, I also sent it to a forum vendor to get refinished. Good gun.

Posts: 2952 | Location: between locations at the moment | Registered: October 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post

The first 50 rounds ever fired out of my Springfield Ronin. I had one failure to feed in the first 20. It was the last round in the factory mag. It hasn't reoccurred since.

Posts: 2590 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post