SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    P226 and P229 stripped frames
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P226 and P229 stripped frames Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
but they will surely refinish frames that they will use for their refurbished "red box" pistols

I would have no way to verify or clarify this, but I have been told by Sig CS more than once that they don't refinish the frames on any pistols, CPO or not. Now Sig can do whatever they want so I won't lose any sleep if that turns out not to be true.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am betting sig does not. That does not mean that they would not contract some one to refinish.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have read some commentary on other boards about people purchasing CPO pistols, and seeing slide wear marks almost immediately after shooting. The assumption was that Sig didn't neccesarily re-anodize them, but might have used some type of finish to cover/blend-in whatever wear marks those trade in pistols might have had. Not sure if true, but seems reasonable.

Posts: 27 | Location: North Dakota | Registered: October 20, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lyman:
quote:
Originally posted by derrickgoins:
Alex from AB Prototype sent me the following information to try and add some clarifying points about these frames. Hope it helps. Like I said, they've been awesome to work with so far.

For clarification, it's my understanding that these frames have been refinished by SIG. I think the point people are missing is that these frames came from SIG factory-refurbished COMPLETE pistols, hence the oil and grease present (no gunpowder though, these have never been fired).
As posters mentioned SIG may not refinish stripped frames, but they will surely refinish frames that they will use for their refurbished "red box" pistols.

My indication of reanodizing is the clamping area inside the mag well that shows the original finish before refinishing. Everywhere else these appear refinished and in excellent condition. If you look closely, all the nicks at the bottom the the mag well and trigger guard are not bare aluminum like you would see on a heavily used frame, but refinished over.

so he has purchased red box or refurbed SIGs and stripped them?

are they not on the Cali roster or ??

just curious

I'm pretty sure they're buying complete firearms (in this case CPO Sigs) and stripping them down completely. The stripped frames are sold off for whatever they can get and all the rest of the parts are likely sold with an 80% firearm kit. There were a bunch of P320 80% kits popping up recently and he has a bunch of completely stripped P320 FCU's. They probably are not on the CA roster or there would not be a need to strip and kit them.

We bought a variety of CPO Sig pistols in the last two months and the majority appear to have been refinished. This includes some P229 frames that are a color of gray I've never seen offered by Sig (non-railed if my memory serves me).

Osage County Guns
Wright City, MO

Posts: 767 | Registered: October 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I installed a p228 parts kit on one of these frames but I can't get the hammer to drop or the decocker to work. The frame is a DAO frame with the adaptor plate. Any ideas to help me get this working. Thanks.

Posts: 735 | Registered: February 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am not sure how the fix the issue, my frqmes will be here tomorrow.
I maybe i will have more to speculate with after that.

Alex emailed me. He contacted sig as to who did the refinish.

quote:
Aaron,

In case you are interested I contacted SIG to determine how these were refinished and they confirmed it's a DLC finish.

-Alex

I will post more tomorrow.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I ordered a p226 frame and got it for 59.00. Alex called me yesterday and confirmed that they were DLC coated by Sig. Not thrilled, but for 59 bucks, I'm not mad either.

I hope they are not DAO specific frames.

Posts: 545 | Location: Ohio | Registered: April 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am headed out soon to pick up my frames. I have 3 frames coming and only two slides and parts kits. One in 40, and one in 357 sig. I removed everything from the slides yesterday and did a thorough cleaning and reassembly with a bit of grease and oil.

I set them out in an effort to get everything ready for install.
This is the p226 357sig slide and parts kit.

Here is the 40 SW slide and parts. Clearly, this one has seen a bit more holster and shooting time. Everything locks up tight, looks like it is in great shape.

I am still needing another parts kit for my third lower, and a threaded 22lr x-change kit. I will have to find them soon. I am a bit excited.

posted Hide Post
The P229 frame I got is DAO frame with an adaptor plate. I hope that's not why I'm having trouble getting the main spring strut in.

posted Hide Post
What makes it a DAO frame? Plus in the write up on Gunbroker they claim all the guns were converted to SA/DA. I have one and it went together fine Trigger works as it should and so does the decocker. I’m curious as to why yours doesn’t assemble and work with 228 parts, they are the same as 229.

Sigs, Glocks and a couple others

Posts: 202 | Location: Colorado | Registered: October 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The DAO frame comes with an adaptor plate. I my be putting the strut in incorrectly. I was getting really frustrated so I'll try again this weekend.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dog44:
The DAO frame comes with an adaptor plate. I my be putting the strut in incorrectly. I was getting really frustrated so I'll try again this weekend.

My understanding is that spacer plate is there to fill the gap the magazine dosconnect compoments took, it's not because it was a DAO. If I'm wrong some one will correct me.

Posts: 202 | Location: Colorado | Registered: October 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
jimbo883 , did your frame come with the adaptor plate ? If so I should be able to get mine to work with my P228 parts. Thanks.

posted Hide Post
Yes it came with the plate.

Getting the hammer strut in its proper position can be a struggle but take your time and you should get it

posted Hide Post
I feel better knowing I just have to get it in the right position for it to work. Thank you jimbo.

posted Hide Post
Usps decided to play shuffle the package today. For my 3 frames and a barrel i had on the way.

posted Hide Post
I picked my fame up on Friday and already have it assembled. DA/SA railed P228. Functioned tested and things work well. I’ll get it out to the range and put some rounds through it this week.

Posts: 133 | Location: Westfield, IN | Registered: June 04, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The post office has decided to transport my frames to dulles post office, from dulles post office, since last thursday.

They were supposed to be delivered friday.

posted Hide Post
Darn that Alex from AB Prototype! He advertised these frames and that made me buy two of the P229 frames. Then I go to pick them up at my FFL dealer, (and I did not need these frames, and am not even sure I want them) and lo and behold she's got a P365 that just arrived to be put on sale. So, naturally I had to buy that! (I mean, it would have been impolite not to buy it, right?) All because Alex put those 229 frames up for sale. Darn him.

Posts: 695 | Registered: June 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Got the 3 home today. Two pistols assembled.

The 40 sw and 357 sig