SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    P226 and P229 stripped frames
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P226 and P229 stripped frames Login/Join 
posted
I came across a seller on GunBroker that has 226R, 229R-1 and 229-1 frames. Frames all appear to be made in Germany. I purchased one and I am very pleased. I figured cheap insurance in case I wear one out. Anyone who is looking might check them out.

https://www.gunbroker.com/All/...cludeSellers=4416557

Posts: 1217 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of craigcpa
posted Hide Post
Wear out the frame? Really?

And linking to other sites is a no-no.

==========================================
Just my 2¢

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right ♫♫♫

Posts: 7731 | Location: Raleighwood | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by craigcpa:
Wear out the frame? Really?

You never know. So far I have never had a frame related failure, but I have worn or broken a few parts over the years.

Picture of Shackelford
posted Hide Post
Hmmm. How different are 228 and 229 frames? I have a 228 parts kit laying in the back of my closet that was a NJ police trade-in. Can I mix their parts for a frankensig?

Posts: 831 | Location: Volunteer | Registered: January 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Are these anodized?

Posts: 349 | Location: MN | Registered: January 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Security Sage
Picture of striker1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mgobel:
Are these anodized?

The description of the first listing says that it’s been reanodized by SIG.

RB

Cancer fighter (Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma) since 2009, now fighting Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma.

Posts: 7133 | Location: Michiana | Registered: March 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Read the CONSTITUTION
Picture of Mountain Man
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by striker1:
quote:
Originally posted by mgobel:
Are these anodized?

The description of the first listing says that it’s been reanodized by SIG.

I thought SiG didnt re anodize frames ? I remember them using a cheap black coating on factory reconditioned pistols that caused grief years ago.

A 9mm in MY Hand is better than a 45 at home.
SIG P-239 357.. The Modern Martial Arts
Pair of 226 Navy's

Too many" LOW INFORMATION VOTERS "
si vis pacem para bellvm

Posts: 2172 | Location: UN Constitution State  | Registered: October 22, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I hope their anodized. I bought one this weekend. I have a p228 kit I bought 2-3 years ago. When I assemble everything and hopefully it functions ok, I will send the slide to CCR for a CPll finish.

Posts: 735 | Registered: February 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As far as I know and what research has shown me is that to strip off the old anodizing removes about .001" off each surface and etches it to a matte finish. I guess that would mean the rails would be somewhat sloppier.

I also remember that SIG does not refinish anodized frames, probably for that reason.

I'll bet that SIG didn't do it but a local anodizer worked on "turn in" frames. As long as your expectations are in line then all is OK.

I should be tall and rich too; That ain't gonna happen either

Posts: 358 | Location: NW NJ | Registered: December 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The pictures on the ad show SIG factory tags on the frames. I'll only have $230 into the pistol so as long as it functions reliably I'll be happy.

Posts: 735 | Registered: February 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cummings Custom Refinishing
posted Hide Post
Buyer Beware we have seen these come into the shop before There is no way Sig had them re-anodized . Very poorly done

Cummings Custom Refinishing offers Quality Craftsmanship at affordable prices. Fully Lic FFL's for over 30 years
OFTEN IMITATED BUT NEVER DUPLICATED
423-639-8924
www.ccrrefinishing.com

Posts: 5208 | Location: Eastern Tn | Registered: March 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Went and looked at the link. I call horse shit. BIg fat steaming piles of horse shit.

1 if they were reannodized at all, there would be no grease on the frames.

2 if they were reannodized at all there would be no wear on the rails, 3 seperate auctions showed wear on the rails

3 if they were reannodized at all there would be no fucking wear in the mag wells. 3 seperate auctions.

4 if they were even prepped for reannodizing there would not be any damn dirt on the frame, every fricken auction I looked at were dirty, obviously powder, grime, grease, oil residue.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
All my bitching aside, I thought what the hell. Lets make a dedicated sig 226 22lr host.

So now that i have a frame or 3 on the way, where do i go about getting the small parts to build the frame back up to a working host.

Yeah, cart before the horse....

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This thread has me a bit lost. I'd like a few spare frames. I have enough parts to turn them into guns. But when I looked at the listed auctions they had this to say "Re-anodized by SIG". And I am pretty sure I know that SIG does not re-anodize frames. In fact in full capital bold letters they say (WE DO NOT REFINISH FRAMES.) That was the answer when I've asked CS individually, its the answer on their website, and its been repeated here extensively. So the person posting these as far as I can tell is lying. Maybe someone can clear this up for me?

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shackelford
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CCR:
Buyer Beware we have seen these come into the shop before There is no way Sig had them re-anodized . Very poorly done

So, if I send one of these your way to have it redone anyway, is there a downside?

Posts: 831 | Location: Volunteer | Registered: January 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
hrcjon I doubt these have been refinished/anodized by Sig. As DSgrouse mentioned in his post above the frames would be in a lot different shape if they had been refinished. I still bought a couple for spares and like DSgrouse I am going to use one for a dedicated 22.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
This thread has me a bit lost. I'd like a few spare frames. I have enough parts to turn them into guns. But when I looked at the listed auctions they had this to say "Re-anodized by SIG". And I am pretty sure I know that SIG does not re-anodize frames. In fact in full capital bold letters they say (WE DO NOT REFINISH FRAMES.) That was the answer when I've asked CS individually, its the answer on their website, and its been repeated here extensively. So the person posting these as far as I can tell is lying. Maybe someone can clear this up for me?

These are 357 sig guns. I am betting he bought the frames directly from sig. Likely sig bought back a group of firearms. Hence the sig claim. I think the refinish is a stretch. Mine are on order, my ffl will get his info to him. I will post photos of the 3 when i get them.

posted Hide Post
I picked up one of the railed frames and plan to put a P228 slide on it. Planning to have a local shop refinish the slide and frame at the same time. My frame should be here this week. The guys running the auction seems to be pretty good folks. My auction ended yesterday and I've heard from them 3x with updates already.

Posts: 133 | Location: Westfield, IN | Registered: June 04, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Alex from AB Prototype sent me the following information to try and add some clarifying points about these frames. Hope it helps. Like I said, they've been awesome to work with so far.

For clarification, it's my understanding that these frames have been refinished by SIG. I think the point people are missing is that these frames came from SIG factory-refurbished COMPLETE pistols, hence the oil and grease present (no gunpowder though, these have never been fired).
As posters mentioned SIG may not refinish stripped frames, but they will surely refinish frames that they will use for their refurbished "red box" pistols.

My indication of reanodizing is the clamping area inside the mag well that shows the original finish before refinishing. Everywhere else these appear refinished and in excellent condition. If you look closely, all the nicks at the bottom the the mag well and trigger guard are not bare aluminum like you would see on a heavily used frame, but refinished over.

Posts: 133 | Location: Westfield, IN | Registered: June 04, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by derrickgoins:
Alex from AB Prototype sent me the following information to try and add some clarifying points about these frames. Hope it helps. Like I said, they've been awesome to work with so far.

For clarification, it's my understanding that these frames have been refinished by SIG. I think the point people are missing is that these frames came from SIG factory-refurbished COMPLETE pistols, hence the oil and grease present (no gunpowder though, these have never been fired).
As posters mentioned SIG may not refinish stripped frames, but they will surely refinish frames that they will use for their refurbished "red box" pistols.

My indication of reanodizing is the clamping area inside the mag well that shows the original finish before refinishing. Everywhere else these appear refinished and in excellent condition. If you look closely, all the nicks at the bottom the the mag well and trigger guard are not bare aluminum like you would see on a heavily used frame, but refinished over.

so he has purchased red box or refurbed SIGs and stripped them?

are they not on the Cali roster or ??

just curious

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10409 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post