Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

DOT TORTURE Login/Join 
JOIN, or DIE
posted
Went to the range today, shot the dot torture drill for the first time. A hair under 5 yards with a Gen5 Glock 19. It was a humbling event. Range doesn't allow holster draws so I did low ready. Either way, I need to practice. Anyone else shoot this drill?

Posts: 3569 | Registered: February 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
If I’m shooting pistols I will often start and end my range session with a run through of the drill. You’re right, if I haven’t shot in a while it’ll make you feel like crap. That said I’ve at least gotten to the point where even a bad run is much better than when I started.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hi-power man
posted Hide Post
I have not shot this drill yet. A friend I often shoot with found a version for DA/SA shooters at Lucky Gunner.

High capacity is not an acceptable substitute for good marksmanship.

Posts: 869 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: December 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire for effect
posted Hide Post
Dot Torture is one of my favorite drills to shoot. It works on trigger control and accuracy, while going through a number of different shooting requirements. You can focus on fundamentals, without trying to be too fast, while trying to achieve the goal of making all 50 hits. I like to start a training session with this drill, and then move on to other drills.

"Ride to the sound of the big guns."

Posts: 7210 | Location: South Georgia | Registered: May 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I was never able to find any time standards for the Dot Torture drill. Are there, and I’ve just overlooked them?

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47397 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
I was never able to find any time standards for the Dot Torture drill. Are there, and I’ve just overlooked them?

If I remember right it was partially created because it didn’t require a timer to shoot, instead focusing on trigger control and accuracy. Though, I still shoot against myself for time.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

I was introduced to this drill by late Todd Green and he explained that this was specifically not a timed drill.
If you want a timed dot drill that has been well recognized, it would be a Garcia dot drill http://pistol-training.com/dri...nk-garcias-dot-drill. A murderous drill, I am yet to clean it. In fact, I get happy when I just get a couple of dots clean. All six seem like light years away.

Posts: 481 | Registered: April 03, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YVK:
I was introduced to this drill by late Todd Green and he explained that this was specifically not a timed drill.

Thank you for the confirmation.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47397 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
It's one of the weekly things we do on the weekends when things are slow.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8013 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, it's a great drill. Very humbling.

Posts: 4584 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Chris Anchor
posted Hide Post
I remember the first time I did the Torture. It was at a combat handgun course, the instructor said "This is what you are going to do" I looked at him "You think". I didn't too bad but I have gotten a whole better. We started 3-5-7-10 yards from the holster. It was and is fun, Chris

Posts: 1832 | Location: Cecil Co. Maryland | Registered: January 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost, but making
good time
posted Hide Post
Like others have posted, it's a very humbling drill. It looks and sounds so easy, but it's not.

Bye for a while, guard the fort. - My Dad

Posts: 10454 | Location: St Augustine | Registered: March 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

If you want a timed dot drill that has been well recognized, it would be a Garcia dot drill http://pistol-training.com/dri...nk-garcias-dot-drill. A murderous drill, I am yet to clean it. In fact, I get happy when I just get a couple of dots clean. All six seem like light years away.

I like the dot torture but this one is a bear to run clean through all the targets. Distance, time, accuracy, and consistancey makes this one very challenging.

Recent class I attended with Paul Sharpe and William April had us run the dot torture and I ran it clean for the first time. Was always close but nice to do it under a little stress.

Posts: 178 | Registered: May 16, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had a guy I used to work with stop the range when someone was getting a little big for their britches. He would put up the dot torture and have everybody off the line and stand behind the guy who was acting like a douchbag. No time. The only requirement was every body had to watch and couldn't make a sound so we could see "what a bad ass" really looks like. The person would always throw several rounds off. Always. The instructor would simply get the target back and carry on with drills. He would not even acknowledge how bad the guy did. He would just carry on like nothing happened. The person usually got the message and correct their attitude. It was magical.

Posts: 492 | Location: The Republic of Texas | Registered: June 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Honestly, I don't get why this drill is that interesting to many people. I don't find it challenging until it is out to 7 yards, and I can't get excited when the time pressure is removed. In fact, I think that some components of this drill, such as transitions and 5-shot strings, don't make much sense without time allocation. I've shot this drill maybe 4 times, twice in Todd's classes and a couple of times on my own, and didn't find it particularly helpful.

Posts: 481 | Registered: April 03, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Honestly, I don't get why this drill is that interesting to many people.

Interesting comment, and I admit I never got too excited about it myself.

Todd Green had another challenge which was to shoot five shots into one hole at 3 yards. That’s a more informal and less well-defined test that I can usually do at 3, often at 5, and sometimes at 7 yards. He said, though, that even at 3 yards many firearms instructors weren’t capable of such precision.

It seems to me that the Dot Torture drill is a (much) more rigorous version of the one-hole precision test. Indeed, it’s billed as a marksmanship drill. It requires maintaining concentration for many more shots, there’s no “Oh, I won’t count that one,” and even though it’s not timed, drawing, reloading, switching targets during a string, one-handed shooting, and especially shooting with one’s nondominant hand all add stress to the process.

I should try it again myself, but one of the things I don’t like about it is that it requires 50 shots to complete. I realize that’s part of the challenge, but that’s a lot of ammo to only get to the end and blow it with a miss.

6.4/93.6

— Plato

Fire for effect
posted Hide Post
quote:
. . . but one of the things I don’t like about it is that it requires 50 shots to complete. I realize that’s part of the challenge, but that’s a lot of ammo to only get to the end and blow it with a miss.

That's where the stress comes from. It must be shot perfect to pass.

"Ride to the sound of the big guns."

Posts: 7210 | Location: South Georgia | Registered: May 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post