SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Opinions wanted on Trijicon RMR vs Vortex, etc.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Opinions wanted on Trijicon RMR vs Vortex, etc. Login/Join 
Smarter than the
average bear
posted
I think it's been mentioned somewhere, but Cabelas has the Trijicon RMR on sale for $349, which is a heck of a deal. I'm interested, but I've never used a pistol optic. In doing a little research, I see really good reviews for the Vortex Venom, which can be had for $229.

I like Trijicon, and generally I'm not too cheap of a bastard, but is the RMR even a deal at $349 if the Vortex is comparable? One thing that's bothering me is the issues with the battery compartment on the RMR that I've read about. It seems like adjusting the spring will get it working right, but it doesn't feel right to pay a premium for a Trijicon when they have a known problem. Also, the Trijicon comes with no mounts, and the Vortex at least comes with a rail mount. I could always put it on a carbine or shotgun if I don't commit to pistol use.

So what do guys with experience think? Should I jump on the RMR for $349, or pass for now because there are other comparable sights available for less anyway?

Posts: 3435 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Battery life! Look at the difference between the two.

For ME:
DA/SA= Sig 9mm
Striker fired= Glock 9mm
If it's a .45= 1911
Suppressed= HK in .45
I like anything in 10mm

Posts: 1442 | Location: VA | Registered: July 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
Comparable is always subjective when comparing something without stating what the end use will be.

I took advantage of the Cabelas sale and bought 2 od the RMR's, one for my SBR and the other for my Benelli M1 S90. Both guns are primary defensive tools and the brand and reputation of the RMR make it a better value and obvious choice to me. I likely wont ever subject the RMR to any abuse that a Vortex or other budget RDS couldn't handle but I get piece of mind for the little bit of price difference knowing that the tools to defend my life are done so with proven components.

Second you have to consider depreciated value. Trijicon and Aimpoint, and at one time Eotech all retained value much longer than their "budget" counterparts from Vortex, Bushnell,PA, Holosun etc.

If you think that 3 weeks ago guys were paying upwards of 500 for an RMR, 350 is really a no brainer. Then again if its going on a range toy .22 it might be money wasted.

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
quote:
If you think that 3 weeks ago guys were paying upwards of 500 for an RMR, 350 is really a no brainer.

Yeah, except on the website it's 15-16 weeks out before shipping. Instant gratification it's not.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
Mine said 1-2 weeks.

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post
I think it really depends on intended use. I use a vortex viper for a cheap uspsa carry optics division option, but the lack of a "motion on", battery life, and location of the adjustments make it unlikely that I'd use it on a defensive gun. But the cost, dot size, and warranty of the vortex viper made it a very appealing option with me not knowing whether I would like a slide mount rds.

Posts: 5383 | Location: MS | Registered: June 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Let us know how the RMR works out. I almost bought that one as well but could not find it in stock anywhere. I ended getting the Leupold DeltaPoint Pro. It was on sale for $399 at Bass Pro and I found the mount from EGW for less than $50.

Posts: 11 | Location: NC | Registered: June 04, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pittwm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WARPIG602:
Comparable is always subjective when comparing something without stating what the end use will be.

I took advantage of the Cabelas sale and bought 2 od the RMR's, one for my SBR and the other for my Benelli M1 S90. Both guns are primary defensive tools and the brand and reputation of the RMR make it a better value and obvious choice to me. I likely wont ever subject the RMR to any abuse that a Vortex or other budget RDS couldn't handle but I get piece of mind for the little bit of price difference knowing that the tools to defend my life are done so with proven components.

Second you have to consider depreciated value. Trijicon and Aimpoint, and at one time Eotech all retained value much longer than their "budget" counterparts from Vortex, Bushnell,PA, Holosun etc.

If you think that 3 weeks ago guys were paying upwards of 500 for an RMR, 350 is really a no brainer. Then again if its going on a range toy .22 it might be money wasted.

Goo move. I'm tempted to get a spare. Another option new to the RDS is the Shield. its 400ish with their low profile MOS mount... provided if you have a MOS

Posts: 5445 | Location: Paducah KY | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WARPIG602:
Mine said 1-2 weeks.

Probably depends upon when you ordered. Right now the Cabela's website is still showing 15-16 wks for the 6.5 MOA sight, but now up to 18-19 wks for the 3.25 MOA version. I can get either of those through industry pro-deal channels in about 3-4 wks (still not instant) though it'll cost $50 more. I was looking for another 3.25 for a 300BLK AR build that I wanted to wring out in a couple of weeks; oh well, I guess I'll have to make do with the Vortex dots that I already have.

Great price though.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Don't know a thing about the vortex. But do have more than a dozen RMR's. Properly mounted the battery issue simply doesn't exist. I've had one defective unit that Trijicon fixed quickly. I've seen so many defective optics at matches that are not RMR's or aimpoints, I simply wouldn't do anything else if you care at all about reliability. For fun and games have at it.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
Any feedback on the Eotech mrds?

Posts: 9961 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
1-2 weeks for orders placed this afternoon. Just when I ordered a Bushmaster...

Posts: 9152 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
Who knows. Im sure Cabelas bought the remaining inventory from Trijicon and it will be some time before they actuall get them in hand. They've done this before with other companies. Im not in a huge rush. I passed on a few for 400 in recent weeks. The cabelas was made even sweeter with Cabelas bucks I had. Also, if youre retired or active Mil you get another 5% off.

quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
Don't know a thing about the vortex. But do have more than a dozen RMR's. Properly mounted the battery issue simply doesn't exist. I've had one defective unit that Trijicon fixed quickly. I've seen so many defective optics at matches that are not RMR's or aimpoints, I simply wouldn't do anything else if you care at all about reliability. For fun and games have at it.

Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
The sale appears to be related to an update to the RMR.

Posts: 9961 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a RMR that I just got back from warranty work. The dot failed after 1K rounds on my G17.

My buddy who has two different guns with Vortex optics on them has put approx. 5K+ rounds between the two guns and has had no issues. In fact I had to use one of his guns because my RMR failed during the World Speed Shooting Championship in California this year.

As to battery life, I can't really speak to either dot. Trijicon supposedly last longer but changing batteries isn't a big deal to me.

Posts: 200 | Registered: January 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
The RMR arrived in the mail today. That two weeks sure did go by fast!!! Big Grin

Posts: 9152 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
my 8-9 week backlog ones have all arrived in less than two weeks. FWIW>

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master-at-Arms
Picture of apf383
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the heads up honestlou, I just said wtf, and scored one for 380.00 including free shipping but sales tax. BS, but still a great deal. Now to decide where to put it, hmmmm.

Foster's, Australian for Bud

Posts: 7507 | Location: Stuck in NY, FUAC  | Registered: November 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the update on the shipping speed. Plus those actual quick turnaround shipping results were inspirational. Ordered a 3.25MOA tonight, used up some Cabela's bucks and the free s/h code. Brought the final cost down to under $278. with a "2-3 week" backorder for shipping. Here's hoping that my wait goes just as swift as what some of you are experiencing.

My Gen4 G19 with RMR, now with a Rainier Arms ambidextrous MARS mag catch installed earlier today. Milled alloy, not particularly cheap but it so far works great.

As far as a red dot sight goes I'll continue to stubbornly use Trijicon until they give me a hard and fast reason not to. A couple of days back another customer reported that his Vortex reflex went down at the range (Venom, I think he said). Mentioned this Cabela's deal; I think he was now more than willing to give Trijicon a try.

With bad intent
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by soggy_spinout:
Thanks for the update on the shipping speed. Plus those actual quick turnaround shipping results were inspirational. Ordered a 3.25MOA tonight, used up some Cabela's bucks and the free s/h code. Brought the final cost down to under $278. with a "2-3 week" backorder for shipping. Here's hoping that my wait goes just as swift as what some of you are experiencing.

My Gen4 G19 with RMR, now with a Rainier Arms ambidextrous MARS mag catch installed earlier today. Milled alloy, not particularly cheap but it so far works great.

As far as a red dot sight goes I'll continue to stubbornly use Trijicon until they give me a hard and fast reason not to. A couple of days back another customer reported that his Vortex reflex went down at the range (Venom, I think he said). Mentioned this Cabela's deal; I think he was now more than willing to give Trijicon a try.

Mine showed up on Monday, true to the shipping time quoted.