SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    VP9 Issue ?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

VP9 Issue ? Login/Join 
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YVK:

That said, we all have our preferences and tolerances, and my personal preference that if my carry pistol is hit with a mallet, hammer, baseball bat or a missile, any angle, any hold, I want it crack the frame, lose the grips, mess up the slide and otherwise get destroyed before it drops the striker.

Fair enough. But how do you determine that your carry gun is worthy? Do you test your carry guns in such a way? Aren't you concerned that the testing process could damage the pistol in such a way that may not be immediately apparent?

Posts: 9737 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think I do like most of us: take a leap of faith, or give a benefit of a doubt, whatever term you prefer, buy a gun, test it for reliability, accuracy and other things, and start shooting and carrying while watching out for the information and trying to sort the signal from the noise. If something specific comes up, I'd check my gun for it (rest assured, if I owned a VP9, I'd hit the crap out of it by now). Am I concerned about damaging it in an apparent or unapparent way? Yes, to some extent. When I start carrying a gun, I almost always buy a pair so perhaps I'd flip a coin and choose one as a test unit.
However, owing to such posts and videos like the one in the original post, I personally am going to stay away from fully cocked striker pistols as carry guns for the time being and until I get a better sense of the scope of this.

Posts: 481 | Registered: April 03, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
If it's a design problem on a popular gun, the tens of thousands out in the field will uncover the problem quickly.
By the same reasoning, one unconfirmed report by someone wouldn't worry me at all. Every gun out there has such unproven internet rumors about some part failing.

Posts: 9495 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WARPIG602:
quote:
Originally posted by Maestro:
I'm not trying to myopic here, but it really seems like some folks are desperate to see the VP9 fail....

When HK has has consistently outperformed pretty much evey gun company out there for years, people will always look for a reason to knock them down. Valid or not. Same goes for Glock. Everytime Glock releases a new pistol or Generation people pray it will fail in some way.
There are very few companies left that people are surprised by when a their product lacks or fails in some form.

Amen to this. I have 2 vp9's and shoot them in uspsa, along with a guy on the Hk shooting team and one of the guys that was on the team but recently stopped shooting for them. Never seen any issue in thousands of rounds shot and hundreds of forceful mag changes. Personally, I think the "testing" of firearms that people are doing in their garages and back yards is getting a little ridiculous.

p229Extreme/P226Tac-Ops/P226 Extreme/P226 SAO) P226 X-5 Blue Moon/P226 X-5 Black and White

Posts: 750 | Registered: March 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
If it's a design problem on a popular gun, the tens of thousands out in the field will uncover the problem quickly.
By the same reasoning, one unconfirmed report by someone wouldn't worry me at all. Every gun out there has such unproven internet rumors about some part failing.

It actually was reproduced by several people on that board, including a man who I think is currently a top ranked shooter on HK shooting team. He was able to induce it but not from the first several tries and I believe he had to work really hard to do it.

However, I think everyone would agree that this seems to be an isolated and fairly rare issue. It would be really nice to know if this is a confluence of multiple factors that can be alleviated, or purely random thing, or something else.

Posts: 481 | Registered: April 03, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post