SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    VP9 Issue ?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

VP9 Issue ? Login/Join 
Picture of indigoss
posted
https://youtu.be/GAiepTZ66Hs

Curious if anyone has slammed a mag reload and gotten the dead trigger. In any event this may be a safety issue should it be dropped or in a scuffle where the mag well is struck.

Posts: 1278 | Location: West Palm Beach, FL | Registered: June 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've never had it happen with mine. Beyond that, a dropped pistol can lead to a heck of a lot worse things than a temporarily dead trigger. Primarily your opponent picking it up and shooting you.

Posts: 8955 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
I didn't have mine all that long and certainly never dropped or purposely hit the gun but I do slam mags home and usually follow up with smack as well and I never had an issue like this.

Chris

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7681 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of indigoss
posted Hide Post
The video was posted over at Pistol-Forum and some members were able to reproduce the issue with their VP9's and some could not. I was on the fence buying one of these but I'm holding off for now. I don't know about the internal mechanisms of the gun but maybe those who do could chime in. I'm wondering if a loaded chamber would discharge etc.

Posts: 1278 | Location: West Palm Beach, FL | Registered: June 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It would not unless the firing pin block failed.

Posts: 8955 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
Supposedly there are well over 100,000 VP9s out there now and some used by LEOs too and the HK shooting team. Has there been a single valid report of anyone having an issue with their VP9 having the striker drop unexpectedly loading a magazine or other more normal use? I have not read of a single one.

If one is that concerned I would try aggressively loading a magazine a dozen times while holding in a normal grip and not by the muzzle end. If nothing happens why worry about. But using a hammer. Roll Eyes

Posts: 9747 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by indigoss:
The video was posted over at Pistol-Forum and some members were able to reproduce the issue with their VP9's and some could not. I was on the fence buying one of these but I'm holding off for now. I don't know about the internal mechanisms of the gun but maybe those who do could chime in. I'm wondering if a loaded chamber would discharge etc.

Did anyone on that forum contact HK and asked why this happens when you beat a VP9 with a mallet while holding it by the muzzle end?

Posts: 9747 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of indigoss
posted Hide Post
That thread was locked by a moderator and told those that have the issue need to consult HK. I am concerned because a drop will likely be harder than the force used with the rubber mallet in the video. I have dropped Glocks and seen Glocks thrown at the range when someone screwed up (another issue altogether). Never have I seen the striker drop. I've heard M&P's and Walthers have had a few similar issues in the past...just wondering if anyone here is having the same as in the video.

Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by indigoss:
That thread was locked by a moderator and told those that have the issue need to consult HK. I am concerned because a drop will likely be harder than the force used with the rubber mallet in the video. I have dropped Glocks and seen Glocks thrown at the range when someone screwed up (another issue altogether). Never have I seen the striker drop. I've heard M&P's and Walthers have had a few similar issues in the past...just wondering if anyone here is having the same as in the video.

The thread was locked LOL.

From what I understand those very few that could reproduce the problem had to repeatedly pound on it with the mallet and hold it a very specific way meaning at the muzzle and hit it at a very specific spot. No one has reported a problem with dropping their VP9 that I have ever heard of. If the VP9 was dropped the muzzle end would free fall with the rest of the pistol rather than the muzzle end secured. Plus in the video the pistol did not even have a magazine in it let alone rounds to duplicate real world configuration which certainly could alter how forces are distributed with a blow. HK tests there pistols very thoroughly including drop tests.

I would be surprised if anyone reports that they have dropped their VP9 and the striker drop but let's see what other users have experienced - other than bashing with a mallet as that could void warranty.

Picture of onpointgun
posted Hide Post
I tried to replicate this with mine and I couldn't get it to work.

I will be swift in my attack. My venom is packed with enough pride and gun powder to take down
any adversary that attempts to tread on my freedom. You've been warned, but if you
still want to test me, take a step forward.

Posts: 2033 | Location: ON THE YELLOW BRICK ROAD | Registered: February 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, there you have it. Proof positive that the HK VP9 is a terrible choice of duty weapon for all those agencies out there whose typical manual of arms regularly includes removing the magazine, grasping the weapon by the muzzle just so and then smacking the bottom of the grip with a rawhide mallet with enough force to crush a soup can. Yep, all those high speed, low drag type operators will have to think twice about the HK, now that it's proven to fail such a....ahem...."typical" maneuver. Roll Eyes

Posts: 127 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Who are these people that shake and hit their firearms with tools? Maybe I should go put some of mine under my shop press to see what happens.

Well, except the AK...that's just how I made it.

------------------------------------------------
Charter member of the vast, right-wing conspiracy

Posts: 1860 | Registered: June 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unknown
Stuntman
Picture of bionic218
posted Hide Post
Had a similar issue with a Glock. I jobbed a .360 dowel rod in the barrel, smacked it in a few inches with a hammer, and when I fired it, it kaboomed. Must be a POS.

How about stop doing ignorant shit to perfectly good firearms trying to be the next "gotcha greg" on youtube?

Maybe just use them like normal regular people do and sit back and be amazed at how well they function repetitively.

Posts: 10751 | Location: missouri | Registered: October 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Cobra21
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bionic218:

How about stop doing ignorant shit to perfectly good firearms...

10-4

Risk the consequences of honesty...

Posts: 4498 | Location: DFW, TX | Registered: December 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by grumpy1:

From what I understand those very few that could reproduce the problem had to repeatedly pound on it with the mallet and hold it a very specific way meaning at the muzzle and hit it at a very specific spot. No one has reported a problem with dropping their VP9 that I have ever heard of. If the VP9 was dropped the muzzle end would free fall with the rest of the pistol rather than the muzzle end secured. Plus in the video the pistol did not even have a magazine in it let alone rounds to duplicate real world configuration which certainly could alter how forces are distributed with a blow. HK tests there pistols very thoroughly including drop tests.

You're largely correct with some small exceptions. As it is seen on a video in the first post of this thread, for some of them it didn't require repeated pounding to drop a striker. A single strike that I didn't think was that hard, and with a rubber mallet, not a hammer, was sufficient.

From what I understand from behind the scenes, HK has either been contacted or was at least aware of that thread. My expectation of their response is exactly what you and others said: don't hit with hammer, a contrived position, etc, etc.

That said, we all have our preferences and tolerances, and my personal preference that if my carry pistol is hit with a mallet, hammer, baseball bat or a missile, any angle, any hold, I want it crack the frame, lose the grips, mess up the slide and otherwise get destroyed before it drops the striker.

Posts: 481 | Registered: April 03, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jezsuiz
posted Hide Post
Why is it out of battery after he hits it? Looks like there is a gap between the rear grip insert and frame?

Posts: 556 | Location: NE not new england | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conductor in Residence
Picture of Maestro
posted Hide Post
I'm not trying to myopic here, but it really seems like some folks are desperate to see the VP9 fail....

Posts: 3675 | Location: Tampa Bay, FL | Registered: July 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Maestro:
I'm not trying to myopic here, but it really seems like some folks are desperate to see the VP9 fail....

When HK has has consistently outperformed pretty much evey gun company out there for years, people will always look for a reason to knock them down. Valid or not. Same goes for Glock. Everytime Glock releases a new pistol or Generation people pray it will fail in some way.
There are very few companies left that people are surprised by when a their product lacks or fails in some form.

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think people who worry about shit like this need a hobby. I did just try it on my SK. I struck it by hand because hitting it with a hammer is stupid. It isn't representative of anything even remotely realistic.

Posts: 2189 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
What's the significance of the lack of a mag in the magwell? And what real-life scenario does this exactly mimic, or even kinda mimic? Oh, I accidentally dropped the mag...and oops, now I accidentally dropped the gun and it goes 'bang'? Or is it that I chamber one off of a loaded mag, then eject the mag to top off, then hard tap to seat the now fully loaded mag, and the gun goes 'bang'?

Or is it that you physically abuse your gun and surprise, something no longer works right (as in a dead trigger)?

I'm like, SO confused. Fer sure. Roll Eyes

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post