SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Good Handgun Caliber for Novice Female Shooter
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Good Handgun Caliber for Novice Female Shooter Login/Join 
Saluki
posted Hide Post
327 Fed. I have it in an SP-101 and love the thing. .32 longs are a blast as close to .22 rimfire as you need for practice.

.32 H&R is nice and snappy and a great start towards power, while still pretty easy to handle. Move to .327 Fed and you've got the real deal.

You'll most likely want to buy ammo on line, that's the down side. Then again some people see that as a positive.

Try an LCR Ruger in .327 feed it longs they'll be sold.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5130 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by reflex/deflex 64:
327 Fed. I have it in an SP-101 and love the thing.

^^^ This one ^^^

Found a four inch SP-101 a few years ago and it is one of the few I plan to keep. Big Grin

Posts: 9112 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because something is legal to do doesn't mean it is the smart thing to do.
posted Hide Post
I have had good results starting ladies out with a .22 then moving up to a .32.
I have a Ruger sp101 and a a lcr, both in .327 Fed. I use a .32S&W Long when graduating to the center fire. They can step up to the .32H&R Mag then to the .327 Fed. if and when they are ready. I would rather they carry a .32 then leave something bigger at home.

I also think a revolver is a fair choice for beginners.
KISS=keep it simple stupid

Integrity is doing the right thing, even when nobody is looking.

Posts: 4127 | Location: Metamora MI | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Haven't read all the responses but - like a lot of things in life - the answer is 'It Depends'.

People are different.

If she is less stout physically - I would start out with a .22LR. Because you can always move up. (I'm not being sexist - I would make make this comment about men too).

Otherwise you could probably start with a 9mm.

But in all honesty - you can never go wrong starting with a .22LR and mastering the fundamentals. Then stepping up.

-------------------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frequent Denizen
of the Twilight Zone
Picture of SIGWolf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SigSauerMarine:
Is .357 magnum a good choice for a novice female shooter? While leaving the indoor range this past weekend I overheard an employee recommending several .357 revolvers to a customer. Judging the cnversation, I learned she was interested in a weapon for personal/home defense.

While I'm not qualified to train or advise on personal/home defense, .357 seems a tough round to introduce a new shooter to? Wouldn't 9mm make for a better choice?

Thoughts and comments are welcome.

Regards,
Anthony

If the question is about a good home defense caliber, that's one thing. If its about teaching a novice to shoot, that's another and I don't think the answer is the same, IMO.

Learning to shoot, I would say .22. Home defense, a .357 revolver would be fine. Although magnum in a small revolver is not the best choice, IMO. Better 38+P perhaps. The person would also need a good bit of practice to be comfortable.

The common wisdom seems to be that revolvers are easier to shoot and more reliable, so are a better choice, but I'm not sure that is always true.

It also depends on the novice and how uncomfortable they are with recoil. Some people just eat it up, some are scared to death of it.

Posts: 17342 | Location: Northern Vermont | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post