SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Good Handgun Caliber for Novice Female Shooter
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Good Handgun Caliber for Novice Female Shooter Login/Join 
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Feel free. If it saves only one hand. Smile

I knew a guy years ago when these scandium guns became all the rage who carried one. One day I asked and he said he no longer carried it. I ask why thinking it must have been a dream to carry.

His reply....

I figured one day I was gonna get mugged and as I was tossing him my wallet I be tossing the gun to saying and here take this damn thing too so I don't have to shoot it. Smile

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7681 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you can find one:
S&W Model 10 Heavy Barrel 4 inch. Or 3 inch.
Start with standard pressure 38.
Then transition to +P.
If all goes well, try the snubs or a 9mm auto.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16088 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
3° that never cooled
Picture of rock185
posted Hide Post
I don't pretend to know what is appropriate for women, but apparently women know what is appropriate for women. Several women in my family, who could have whatever type of firearm they wanted and have shot various semi-autos,etc, chose S&W J-Frame 38 Spcls. Within my humble experience, women who are not "into Guns" have little interest in guns with significant recoil and muzzle blast, cycling semi-auto slides to load, unload and check chambers, manipulating manual safeties, decockers, mag releases,etc. For her protection of course, an acquaintance bought his wife one of those Taurus Circuit Judge revolving carbine .45/.410 things. Of course she had no interest whatsoever in having, shooting or touching such a thing. Seems to me, some guys tend to buy and/or encourage guns for women, that the guy thinks are cool......ymmv

NRA Life

Posts: 1564 | Location: Under the Tonto Rim | Registered: August 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
I can't even remember how many guys I've talked out of buying a Taurus Judge type weapon for a daughter/wife, but it's a lot. And yes, just because the non-gun guy thinks they are cool. And some stupid rationalization revolving around a better chance of hitting someone with a 410 shotgun shell... sigh...

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6212 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
So those Judge/Governors/Majority whip guns really sell????

Be honest though you'd love to see the Ruger Majority whip or the Glock oberburgermeister Smile

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7681 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of gatopescado
posted Hide Post
I got my wife a .380

Sig Sauer P238 Edge with rosewood grips. This gun is a real shooter!! Hardly any recoil at all. It works for her great!!

Posts: 994 | Location: South Texas | Registered: August 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tundrav84wd
posted Hide Post
What do you want with a novice shooter? Simple....you want them to enjoy shooting...enough to look forward to shooting,...a lot,..hundreds and thousands of rounds. I know of no revolver, excluding a .22, that will allow that, especially with women. A good compact or larger 9mm is the ticket. I can't tell you how many women over the years I "saved" because of some dip shit boyfriend or husband pushing a revolver to learn on. Women in particular do not enjoy them with extended range sessions especially. Teach her on a good semi, THEN, if there is an interest, let her try a revolver. Most won't like them once they've been using a good semi. That's my experience with teaching women.

Old School German Sigs,....Quality and Reliability you can consistently depend on, right out of the box.

**Remembering 9/11/2001 Celebrating 5/1/2011**

OPUS DEI CUM PECUNIA ALIENUM EFFICEMUS

Posts: 6417 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Needs a check up
from the neck up
Picture of Timdogg6
posted Hide Post
.32 is about as good as it gets if you want a revolver,

32 short
32 long
and
32 HR Mag all fit in the gun and take you from a mouse fart to a +P9mm in terms of recoil

The entire reason for the Second Amendment is not for hunting, it’s not for target shooting … it’s there so that you and I can protect our homes and our children and and our families and our lives. And it’s also there as fundamental check on government tyranny. Sen Ted Cruz

Posts: 5132 | Location: Boca Raton, FL The Gunshine State | Registered: July 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gatopescado:
I got my wife a .380

Sig Sauer P238 Edge with rosewood grips. This gun is a real shooter!! Hardly any recoil at all. It works for her great!!

And its slide is very easy to rack. I like the Nitron, the least expensive model, best. I'd replace its grips with Hogue brand G10s, but I'd do that with any P238 model.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8951 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cslinger:

Believe it or not, they do.

My LGS gets a sporadic trickle of folks looking to buy a Judge. Our shop stopped carrying Taurus many years ago, so we'll try and keep a Governor or two in stock.

As for a first gun for a novice female shooter, start 'em off with the basics on a .22 semi auto.

If they want to go straight to defensive gun, then either a .380 or 9mm. I always steer them toward the rental ranges nearby to test drive a few different types and see what works best for them after they've had a chance to handle several at the counter.

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Posts: 7464 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I started teaching my 12 yo son how to shoot, we started with a .22 auto (Colt 1911 conversion unit) and my N frame Smith M28 with 38 special target loads, which in that gun are real powder puffs. He liked shooting it as much as the 22. The revolver is a big gun, but the weight and 6-inch barrel contribute to the low recoil, making it very unintimidating to shoot.

Posts: 2485 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Uppity Helot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
If you can find one:
S&W Model 10 Heavy Barrel 4 inch. Or 3 inch.
Start with standard pressure 38.
Then transition to +P.
If all goes well, try the snubs or a 9mm auto.

This.

Or If an adjustable sight is wanted the S&W Model 67.

Posts: 3147 | Location: Manheim, PA | Registered: September 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you're gonna be a
bear, be a Grizzly!
Picture of Todd Huffman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cslinger:

Be honest though you'd love to see the Ruger Majority whip or the Glock oberburgermeister Smile

I know a lot of guys that carry them just for a snake gun. I tried to tell my brother that a .44 Special (that he already had) with ratshot would be just as good and serve other purposes as well, but he insisted on spending the money on a S&W Governor.
A snake gun for trout fishing would be about the only reason I'd carry one. Or maybe horseback riding, if I did that.

Here's to the sunny slopes of long ago.

Posts: 3633 | Location: Morganton, NC | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How are your Ladies doing with the double action of their DA revolvers?

Posts: 3287 | Location: Florence, Alabama, USA | Registered: July 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of billnchristy
posted Hide Post
My wife is great with revolvers. Cowboy loads or wadcutters to start and work up. Learning on something heavy like a gp100 is good too. Sp101 in 327 mag is great as well but a bitch to get ammunition for.

------------------------------------
My books on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/William-...id=1383531982&sr=8-1
email if you'd like auto'd copies.

Posts: 17916 | Location: Lawrenceville GA | Registered: April 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If a revolver is decided on, have had success with Ruger LCRx 5431 with 3" barrel, great grips, smooth and constant force double action, and exposed hammer to allow single action.

Some have insisted on the 5430 with much shorter barrel. Replace the grips with the grip used by the 5430 and it too works for a host of strength challenged people.

As others have observed, light 38 special to get comfortable and the potential for serious 38 +P for defense. 38 sp are easy to craft.

However: P238 (seen by some as too busy), or Glock 42, work well for carry. The great PPS-M2 and LCRs Pro seem not to be favored. PPQ-M2 9mm 4" and P320SC9 work for many. PPQ-M2 (mm 4" comes with what is needed to fit - can be almost impossible to have P320 to fit because few grips are being made available. The superb M&P M2.0 (and by extension P10C, 509, APX) are seen as being too heavy or too difficult to operate. ( I am just reporting)

The PPQ-M2 9mm 4" has slide lock on both sides that turn out to be a great aid for women (even if right-handed). A slightly lighter recoil spring might be desirable.

Mac in Michigan

Posts: 504 | Location: Below the Bridge in Michigan | Registered: July 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Start with a .22 revolver and she will be hooked and eventually want to move up to the bigger calibers.

Posts: 167 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If decide to start with 22LR, consider Ruger Lite. It has grip of full size, and yet is indeed light. Good iron sights with immediate capability of installing a red-dot sight. . . .and anyone can maintain the pistol if a Mark IV.

Add V's trigger parts set and she will have a pistol she wants to shoot.

Mac in Michigan

Posts: 504 | Location: Below the Bridge in Michigan | Registered: July 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master-at-Arms
Picture of apf383
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
No, but .38 Special could be a good beginner caliber, and a .357 Magnum revolver can shoot .38 Special as well.

This was the method I used when introducing my wife to shooting. I reload so I made powder puff loads for the DW revo I bought her, eventually moving her up to .38 Spcl. We havent made it to .357 yet, but seemingly no need at this time.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: apf383,

Foster's, Australian for Bud

Posts: 7507 | Location: Stuck in NY, FUAC  | Registered: November 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
There is a world elsewhere
Picture of Echtermetzger
posted Hide Post
I'd ask her what she plans to use it for and gauge her size, willingness to practice, etc.

Too many men try to steer their wimmenz towards a tiny .380 that was inexpensive and often times pink. Except those aren't enjoyable to shoot and if they aren't going to enjoy it, what are the chances they are going to practice with it?

A reliable 9mm subcompact or compact with good ergonomics might do well.

A well balanced breakfast being necessary to the start of a healthy day, the right of the people to keep and eat food shall not be infringed.

Posts: 6685 | Location: The hard land of the Winter | Registered: April 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post