SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Good Handgun Caliber for Novice Female Shooter
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Good Handgun Caliber for Novice Female Shooter Login/Join 
posted
Is .357 magnum a good choice for a novice female shooter? While leaving the indoor range this past weekend I overheard an employee recommending several .357 revolvers to a customer. Judging the cnversation, I learned she was interested in a weapon for personal/home defense.

While I'm not qualified to train or advise on personal/home defense, .357 seems a tough round to introduce a new shooter to? Wouldn't 9mm make for a better choice?

Thoughts and comments are welcome.

Regards,
Anthony

Posts: 83 | Location: Maryland | Registered: June 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
No, but .38 Special could be a good beginner caliber, and a .357 Magnum revolver can shoot .38 Special as well.

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Gun store guys are notorious for giving bad information. That being said, he might have been recommending a revolver because of a few reasons. They require no special hand strength, they are easily safed, their trigger action is as novice friendly as possible, etc. As for 357, lots of us buy them and use 38 special for the most part.

If they actually were recommending a novice to start with magnums, well that's just plain stupid.

Revolvers are a novices best friend. Nobody ever shot themselves with a bullet left unchecked and chambered in a wheelgun.

If the novice is willing to take the time and afford to seriously learn to shoot well and safely, then yes any 9mm semi auto could be a good choice.

Posts: 7473 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Cobra21
posted Hide Post
.38/.38+P would be a good start and the option to go up to .357 in the future is a fine idea also, but not a requirement. I almost always recommend a revolver to novice shooters, particularly those who will not likely train/practice, ie my wife!

Here's what I ask when some new shooter guy/gal says they want to get a semi for first gun self defense; Can you clear an FTE? How about a light strike? What would you do with stovepipe round? How about a double feed?

Answer with a revolver? Well, most questions are not relevant, but the general answer would be "pull the trigger again."

Risk the consequences of honesty...

Posts: 4498 | Location: DFW, TX | Registered: December 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
If they actually were recommending a novice to start with magnums, well that's just plain stupid.

+1111111111

Q

Posts: 26381 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
38 special. Upgrade to 38+P when both comfort & proficiency have been achieved.

Posts: 13812 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Every new shooter I've helped has started with a 22 caliber pistol especially the women.
Personally, I think you can build better fundamentals without worrying about recoil. Slide on my Mk3 is easy to work as compared to some pistols.
Just my 02¢.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The best caliber for a new shooter is probably going to be a .22, but if someone is interested in getting a gun for self defense it may not be affordable to buy a .22 to learn with and then get a centerfire for self defense. In that case, .38 Special or 9mm are probably good choices.

As for the whole revolver vs. semi-auto issue, I think the revolver has the edge for most new shooters. The biggest downside to revolvers for new shooters is probably the DA trigger. With semi-autos, racking the slide can be an issue, and some new shooters may be uncomfortable with the slide cycling towards their face or ejected brass flying out, potentially at them (a buttoned up shirt and a ball cap is recommended).

Personally, I think the best approach would be for her to take an introductory class that allows students to try a variety of guns to see what works for them. Alternatively, you could take her to a range that has rental guns for her to try.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." Sherlock Holmes

Posts: 1286 | Registered: February 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
My wife is not a "gun person," but she recognizes the reality of the need for self protection.

She is not at all enthusiastic about going to the range, learning the details of a firearm, etc.

After owning two 9mm semi-autos, Walther P99c and SIG P239, and not being happy with either of them, she decided that she wanted a revolver.

We went to the nearest location of a fairly sizable Florida chain and the first thing the counter guy recommended was a LadySmith Airweight. My comment was that she would fire one round and never touch it again.

My wife fondled both S&W J-frames and Ruger LCRs, decided that the LCRs felt better and had noticeably smoother and lighter triggers than the S&Ws that she tried.

I bought a 9mm LCR from a member here, had some problems with semi-auto ammunition in a light weight revolver, sold the 9mm and got what amounts to the same revolver in .357 Magnum, the thought being that she would practice with .38 SPL light target loads and carry .38 SPL, maybe +P.

I fired one .357 Magnum from the LCR and decided that there would not be any more of that, neither for my wife nor for me.

The extra 4 ounces that the steel frame .357 LCR weighs, compared to the aluminum frame .38 SPL version, won't make a noticeable difference for carry but might make it a little easier for range practice.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30663 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
I have no doubt said gunstore or whomever was probably saying see this tiny JFrame .357 is perfect blah blah.

That being said there is a lot to be said for a medium framed all steel .357 revolver as a first gun/teaching platform

1-easy manual of arms
2-heavy double action trigger (both safe and if you learn this you can learn anything)
3-awesome single action trigger generally for precision confidence building
4-Grip choices to fit any hand
5-ammo selection that ranges from super light powder puff wadcutters to crazy buffalo stomping cruise missile rounds and everything in between. The shooter can grow into a level that suits them.
6-good weight to soak up any recoil
7-1 gun / purchase to do everything from learning to plinking to training to self defense etc. etc. Typically a .22 is a single purchase that leads to another expensive "real gun" if you will. That money is better spent on ammo, holsters, training, etc.
8-very forgiving of bad form. You are not going to limp wrist a revolver.
9-legal damn near anywhere you go. (NOT FOR CARRY CHECK YOUR LAWS WHEREVER YOU GO!!)

Basically a 7 shot 686 or similar makes a hell of an argument for 1 gun to do it all.

That being said a basic mid to full sized 9mm makes a lot of sense too.

Now if you are the kind of person who starts ANY new shooter, regardless of gender with a 158 grain hot .357 round just for yucks you are a jacktard and dangerous at worst and ignorant at best.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7681 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
I have taught a fair number of people including women the basics of safe shooting. One thing that I have found is when I start them with a non rimfire basic handgun caliber 9mm for example they tend to have recoil built up so much in their head that when they fire the first thing they say is "is that it????"

Now the caveat being that you don't give them a Glock 27 or a .357/44/etc. magnum anything. Just a basic mid to full size standard service caliber loaded with plinking stuff. I find most are easily able to handle this.

I have found the noise and flash of .357 SIG is usually a problem.

Not saying .22 is not a fantastic learning tool. Just that a 9mm can be as well and makes for a single purchase.

Posts: 7681 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My gal learned on a Ruger GP100 4 inch s.s. revolver with .38 special ammo
she did real well for someone with little bitty hands.

we started at 50 feet, then went to 75 and then 100 feet.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54637 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've seen several novice shooters have a hard time shooting a .38 spl in a small revolver. There's no way they're going to have a positive experience setting off a .357 in a small pistol. I'm sure that somewhere there are also gun store idiots recommending .44 magnums for the novice shooters.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3532 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
I would never suggest an airweight or any JFrame to teach even in .38.

Medium to large frame all steel is the way to go.

.38+P out of a 642 is "Energetic". Smile

"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
I have started a few new shooters off with 357 magnum revolvers.
But....
They start with 38 spcl (usually Cowboy Action loads).
The magnum handguns are USUALLY heavier and therefore soak up the recoil better, making for a more pleasant experience.

with out hearing the whole conversation, I wouldn't just ASSUME that the sales person was recommending full power magnums to a novice. Hopefully it was like the above, a magnum capable gun for weight, but loaded with milder rounds.

Posts: 6304 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
Based on my experiences...it ALWAYS depends on the woman.

Example: I had a pretty, petite female customer looking for her first gun with her boyfriend. She came across as being obviously intimidated by semi-autos and gravitated almost immediately over to our revolvers, specifically enamored by the smaller 5-shot carry snubbies. Like almost all shoppers, looks matters and the LCR ended up being a non-starter. She loved the appearance of the J-frames in the case, and so that's what she fixated on. I volunteered my own experiences and op/ed with J-frames (definitely slanted on the negative side in terms of the shooting experience). She considered that info but it was clear to me that she was still very much determined to want to like one regardless. I ended up suggesting that she go to a range that offered rentals and actually shoot one first before committing to the purchase. She and her boyfriend took the advice and went down to West Coast Armory immediately after leaving our shop.

The next day she was back, but this time alone...and picking out the 340PD as the one to buy! That came out of the blue, since she didn't even touch that one the day before. I asked her how the rental session went. She said that they tried several of the small J-frames and even the LCR 38. The S&Ws did hurt a bit at first but she said it wasn't a big deal to her and that she could get used to it (definitely a 'slap to my manhood' moment; always amazing how even the young women can so easily do that...). She also stated that she shot a PD in 38 AND 357. She claimed that it "wasn't bad". Though I wasn't certain that I actually believed her, the young lady did seem rather forthright and earnest in giving her impression of how it shot and worked for her. Either that, or she's actually into pain; but since we're rated 'PG' here (I DID say that she was cute, didn't I?)...She did also add that her boyfriend absolutely hated the gun.

Frankly I think that might have been the REAL reason why she chose it for herself, and why she came back alone to our shop. It would be HER gun, not something that some guy--boyfriend or "GCN"--told her that she should buy. Her boyfriend hated it so he wouldn't lay any claim to it. Plus no one was going to talk her out of what she wanted. More power to her...I guess.

And that's why I say that it depends on the woman.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
For rounds with a given Power Factor, locked-breech semi autos have softer recoil than revolvers of the same weight.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8949 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SigSauerMarine:
Is .357 magnum a good choice for a novice female shooter? While leaving the indoor range this past weekend I overheard an employee recommending several .357 revolvers to a customer. Judging the cnversation, I learned she was interested in a weapon for personal/home defense.

While I'm not qualified to train or advise on personal/home defense, .357 seems a tough round to introduce a new shooter to? Wouldn't 9mm make for a better choice?

Thoughts and comments are welcome.

Regards,
Anthony

My wife and I a few years ago decided to get her a gun as she was home alone during the day.

We had no guns at that pint and were new to them. My wife is 5' tall and 106 pounds. The LGS recomended a .38 special snub nose. Took it to the range and OMG the kick was way too much.. Even for me it was a bit much. Definately not the right gun/calibur for her.

We setteled on a Sig P238 .380. Perfect for her and she enjoys shooting it..

I would suggest Semi-Auto .380 especially if she is a small framed woman.. If average size woman than yes 9mm would be a good choice..

Sig P238 or Colt Mustang would be my recommendations (If you are looking for any) as we have both and very happy with them.

USS Carl Vinson (CVN-70) Bremerton WA.
Sig P938/238 Equinox
Sig P320C RX
Colt Mustang XSP FE

Posts: 50 | Location: Southeast NH | Registered: March 02, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Just keep in mind it's less about caliber and more about platform, at least in regards to common pistol calibers. Don't run out and buy a .500 magnum and think hey it's a big steel gun of course but for the common calibers it's all about platform.

.380s for example can be very soft shooters but MOST of the current .380s are itty bitty plastic carry guns that frankly are a PITA to shoot.

An all steel 1911 in .45 is a fairly soft shooting firearm. A Springfield XDs in .45 notsomuch.

Generally like as been said locked breech semis soak up recoil better then revolvers but to some new shooters all that slide movement is off putting.

Ammo selection plays a big role too. In 9mm there is 115 grain stuff that struggles to cycle some guns actions yet on the other end of the spectrum there is +P or +P+ 124 grain stuff that will make you think you are smiting your enemies with the hand of Odin.

.40 caliber 180 grain plinking stuff is actually pretty tame in a mid to large gun. 155-165 grain defensive stuff is hot as hell.

So it's not just a simple what caliber is good for a lady answer.

If not a .22 then the criteria IMO is basically.....
-service sized handgun
-standard martial caliber (9mm,.38,.40,45)
-bulk/cheap plinking ammo for learning

Pretty much the above recipe almost anybody can handle. From there it's really about that individuals pref.

I find it's usually easier to educate new users on what not to buy vs what to buy. "No mam, i don't belive that .460 Ruger will fit your needs Smile". Or "Yes that J-Frame is extremely easy to carry but that ease of carry comes with the following trade offs"

Or "No sir, I don't think the 340PD is the best choice. I feel setting a hand grenade off in your hand will give way more stopping power with a bit less recoil Smile"

addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
quote:
I feel setting a hand grenade off in your hand will give way more stopping power with a bit less recoil

Hey I like that! You won't mind if I use that the next time someone insists on a Scandium S&W, will you? Smile

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post