SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    2019 vs 2020 STI Staccato line changes/differences
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2019 vs 2020 STI Staccato line changes/differences Login/Join 
Just mobilize it
posted
So I was too hesitant in late 2019 to "pull the trigger" on a STI Staccto P and now the 2019 model has been discontinued and the line up revamped with many more models for 2020. I believe STI even goes by Staccato now, which is interesting.

Anyway, the 2019 P model was more appealing to me than the 2020 as the grip texture is now all the same polymer pattern without the tree bark style and the magwell is smaller and blended rather than a separate larger piece. The rail is not a full rail, but rather abbreviated now, and the trigger guard looks to be less undercut on the 2020 as well. I assume this is to streamline production and cut costs as I'm sure the grip and magwell, plus the extra cuts here and there added up, and with a price point of 2K, perhaps there was not as much money to be made with all the previous "features", but who knows. It's still expensive, but to get into a STI it seems reasonable compared to their other offerings as the price goes way up quickly. The point of it all is I don't really love the 2020 P model, but have been looking at the C2 as an alternative option to tide me over and I was wondering if those in the know had the technical specs of the 2020 C2?

On the STI/Staccato website, there are a few bits of info, but measurements on height and length are not there, unless I missed it. I think the barrel is about a half inch shorter on the C2 at 3.9" vs the P at 4.4"(the 2020 that is, the 2019 with full rail was only a quarter inch longer I believe at 4.15"). I wonder what the overall height difference is though on the standard non-duo models with the standard sights? The C2 appears to have a slightly shorter grip, holding 16 rounds. I can't remember what the 2019/2020 P holds, but I thought it was 17-19 rounds.

I held the C2 recently and did like the feel quite a bit more than I thought I would because when I held the single stack C I hated the grip. Something about the double stack on the C2 made it feel a lot better as I had hoped it would(though still not quite as great as the tree bark!). It pointed well and the controls seemed to be in line with what I remember with the 2019 models, other than the beaver tails are now less upswept, and the mag release button is solid rather than a small hole in the middle--maybe to prevent gunk getting in there?. I didn't really miss the nicer magwell, and the trigger seemed as good or better than the older P(it's slated to be 4# vs 4.5# on the 2019 models).

For me this would be about 90% a range toy, though maybe, just maybe, I would entertain carrying it, which is what the C/C2 are intended for. I think the recessed rail on the 2020 models lends itself to holstering a little more easily/swiftly and the grip is probably more comfy against the skin vs the tree bark pattern. Because of these aspects, the C2 is becoming more and more appealing and less of a consolation.

I have also read that the new 2020 line up has an easier guide rod system for disassembly/re-assembly with a sort of detent that helps to compress the spring as the barrel is bull in nature and, therefore, bushingless. The mags look different as well now, being blackened rather than shiny stainless as prior. I assume these are the "gen 2" mags? And must be more reliable then perhaps?

Sorry for the long winded post, I have just been researching the C and P line for a while now and still have some questions that I'd like answered before I go all in. Mainly the C2 weight and height, but opinions on handling, carry, fit and finish, and overall opinion are all welcome and appreciated. I can call STI though I do really enjoy the educated opinions on this wonderful forum and I know some of you have STI 1911's.

Thanks as usual for your time!

Posts: 4608 | Registered: July 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just mobilize it
posted Hide Post
After reading my post it’s kind of confusing if you’re not familiar with the pistols in question so below are pictures I got off the net of the 2019 and 2020 P as well as the 2020 C2. It looks like I missed a couple of differences including the newer style hammers as being more rounded than the 2019 squared off hammer as well as now the grip module no longer has a screw at the bottom as it’s polymer and is not needed, though prior, looked good aesthetically IMHO. Also there are less front cocking serrations on the newer models, but the depth appears the same. The rear sight is adjustable on the 2020 P as well. The 2019 P fixed rear sight has gone to the 2020 C2 it seems.

2019 P

2020 P

2020 C2

posted Hide Post
I own an older (2017) Tactical, a C2, and a 2020 P. The tactical has the tree bark grip and the other two have the Gen 2 grip. The C2 is a 3.96" barrel, the 2019 P was 4.15" and the 2020 P is 4.45". Great pains were taken to get barrel, slide, and recoil system lengths that were maximally reliable and shootable. The C2 has an aluminum frame, so it's mildly lighter than the P, but I'd say it shoots 95% as fast. The Gen 2 grip is, to me, an improvement over the tree bark. The tree bark grips were hand stippled, so they tended to be inconsistent. The one I have is pretty good. The Gen 2 grip can be stippled and there are some folks doing good work on them.

The current guns are still all bar stock parts (no MIM, no castings, etc.) I think they exude quality. A note that my C2 did need some extractor tuning.

Posts: 5143 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd suggest poking through these Instagram accounts for Staccato stuff:

108Performance (Hilton Yam)
BuckP79 (Buck Pierson - LE Sales Director)
Patient0Zero (an LAPD guy who works w/Staccato)
the_real_cttsolutions (Mike Panone)
greybeard_actual (Matt Little)

Yam in particular has good insights into the guns and the changes. One argument is that these guys are all paid shills lining up for their piece, but I guess I trust Panone and Yam to not sign on for something they don't believe in. I've followed Matt Little for a couple years and he seems like a straight shooter.

Posts: 5143 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
Extreme Shooters will stipple to Gen 2 grips like they did with the Gen 1 for $110.

https://www.extremeshooters.co...grip-service-g2-grip

Something else you may be interested in:

One thing he did get wrong in the review is the optic system. You do not have to best the rear sight out of the dovetail to get to the screw. There's a screw in front of the sight and a screw in the rear sight you take out. I swear they change shit more than Sig just to change shit.

Posts: 4130 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
My 2020 C2 replaced my 2019 P as one of my carry guns. It just fits me better. Whenever I miss the tree bark grip, I just visit the safe and hold the P for a minute then remember why I like the size of the C2 better and only gave up one round.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 7993 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just mobilize it
posted Hide Post
Good stuff guys. I’ve looked at some of Hilton Yam’s stuff and like what I see. Interesting to see that perhaps the tree bark grip was not necessarily better and it’s nice to have opinions from those who have held and or owned both the 2019 and 2020 versions. I think I’m gonna pursue the C2. And if I want the tree bark later on at least it looks like it can be done aftermarket so options are nice.

Just mobilize it
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chowser:
My 2020 C2 replaced my 2019 P as one of my carry guns. It just fits me better. Whenever I miss the tree bark grip, I just visit the safe and hold the P for a minute then remember why I like the size of the C2 better and only gave up one round.

Do you shoot the C2 as good as the P?

posted Hide Post
If you buy the C2 and decide you don't like the Gen 2 ODS (officer's double stack) grip, I'd bet you could get more than enough to pay for what you want out of it - Staccato has not made that grip available for sale yet.

For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LincolnSixEcho:

Do you shoot the C2 as good as the P?

I do. It fits my hand better. Two coworkers prefer the P but they are oversized monsters (one is 6’4 and the other is bigger)

I never liked the magwell on the P. I bought a shorter pin and removed the magwell. But I still shoot the C2 better.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 7993 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just mobilize it
posted Hide Post
^^^^^Good to know DaBigBR and Chowser thanks

posted Hide Post
I recently got a 2020 P duo with Leupold as a package deal. Thing is a laser

Posts: 28 | Location: Fort Worth Texas | Registered: January 24, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post