SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Improving a P30
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Improving a P30 Login/Join 
posted
A while ago I sent my super reliable P226, 25,000 rounds without any problems to Sig for an action job and SRT. I think it was a major improvement.

Does anyone know someone who does a reasonable and fairly quick similar work on H&Ks? The local gumsmith will not touch a H&K.

__________________Making Good People Helpless . . . Will Not Make Bad People Harmless!___________________

Posts: 1731 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: May 26, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bruce Gray?

Posts: 1251 | Location: Oregon | Registered: March 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
If the DA trigger pull is primarily what you want to improve consider changing two springs, assuming your P30 is DA/SA, the hammer spring and firing pin block spring. I did that on my P30L and that improved the DA pull dramatically both being lighter and smooth while the SA pull was always nice out of the box.

If you are looking for more than that lookup Rick Holmes of Lazy Wolf Guns. I have read that some of trigger group parts in the HKs are on the soft side and he offers nickel plating of them for durability as part of a trigger job. I am not sure of his turn around time though.

http://www.lazywolfguns.com/heckler---koch.html -- Lazy Wolf Guns

https://www.thesigarmorer.com/...-cla/#barrel-fitting -- Robert Burke also does action job on HK pistols

These are the springs you would want to use if you want to do it yourself as I did and it was pretty easy.

https://www.hkparts.net/shop/p...-11-lb-198p18147.htm

https://www.hkparts.net/shop/p...e-Light-198p1955.htm

https://www.hkpro.com/forum/hk...er-job-part-1-a.html -- how to change P30/P2000 FPBS, see post #2

Brand new from Grayguns are HK hammer fired pistols short reset trigger system kit for $99 to reduce reset by a third. I have not read of results of anyone trying this yet though as it is so new and looks to be out of stock already except for P30 with safety.

https://grayguns.com/product-category/trigger-kits/

Posts: 9730 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bruce Gray now has a drop-in HK short reset trigger kit.

take a look at his website.

Posts: 173 | Location: boston | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great post, grumpy1.

Question though...my understanding is the FPBS on the newer P30/P30L is already the lighter one. Is that correct? Also, what is the stock hammer spring weight on a P30/P30L?

Posts: 1251 | Location: Oregon | Registered: March 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dehughes:
Great post, grumpy1.

Question though...my understanding is the FPBS on the newer P30/P30L is already the lighter one. Is that correct? Also, what is the stock hammer spring weight on a P30/P30L?

Thanks dehughes. Smile

I believe that the P30 series does not come with the lighter FPBS, even the newer ones, according to a reliable source at HK Pro and what the HK P30 manual schematic shows. In any case if in doubt one could take the existing one out and examine it as it is a smaller diameter than the heavier one. There are photo comparisons in the link in my last post on how to install the HK FPBS.

Not totally sure but I believe P30 DA/SA comes from factory with 14LB hammer spring and P30L DA/SA comes with 12LB and that is also what the HK P30 manual schematic shows. I am running a Wolff 10LB hammer spring in my P30L and never an issue in over 1000 rounds since installing it. I probably would not install a 10LB in regular P30 but the 11LB instead.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/hkusa...-Manual-05302013.pdf

Posts: 9730 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
I swapped the fpbs, hammer spring, and lightened the trigger return spring on mine.

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by grumpy1:
quote:
Great post, grumpy1.

Thanks dehughes. Smile

I believe that the P30 series does not come with the lighter FPBS, even the newer ones, according to a reliable source at HK Pro and what the HK P30 manual schematic shows. In any case if in doubt one could take the existing one out and examine it as it is a smaller diameter than the heavier one. There are photo comparisons in the link in my last post on how to install the HK FPBS.

Not totally sure but I believe P30 DA/SA comes from factory with 14LB hammer spring and P30L DA/SA comes with 12LB and that is also what the HK P30 manual schematic shows. I am running a Wolff 10LB hammer spring in my P30L and never an issue in over 1000 rounds since installing it. I probably would not install a 10LB in regular P30 but the 11LB instead.

Oh really...very interesting. I have a P30 and a P30L, both DA/SA non-safety, 9mm, both BI date codes, and they feel a bit different but not crazy. The P30 trigger was stiffer out of the box but has smoothed out with dry firing, whereas the P30L felt a bit more broken in. Perhaps the different hammer spring is the reason.

I am curious, though, why the "L" would have a lighter hammer spring than the regular P30. Any ideas? And what would happen if you ran a P30 hammer spring in a P30L?

Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
Great post, grumpy1.

Thanks dehughes. Smile

Oh really...very interesting. I have a P30 and a P30L, both DA/SA non-safety, 9mm, both BI date codes, and they feel a bit different but not crazy. The P30 trigger was stiffer out of the box but has smoothed out with dry firing, whereas the P30L felt a bit more broken in. Perhaps the different hammer spring is the reason.

I am curious, though, why the "L" would have a lighter hammer spring than the regular P30. Any ideas? And what would happen if you ran a P30 hammer spring in a P30L?

I have no idea why the P30L has a lighter hammer spring but it might have something to do with the longer and heavier slide/barrel/RSA on the P30L or it could be to meet a spec in the contract HK originally created the P30L for.

If you put they P30 hammer spring in the P30L the DA trigger pull weight would increase.

Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Our resident Robert Burke. He’s done my P30 and P30sk and the DA and reset are significantly improved. He makes the HK da/sa into what it should be from the factory. Price is reasonable and turn around time is quick.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12569 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
http://www.lazywolfguns.com/

He used to work for Gray Guns and worked on all their HKs for several years.

Great trigger work.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Take the risk or
lose the chance
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:
Our resident Robert Burke. He’s done my P30 and P30sk and the DA and reset are significantly improved. He makes the HK da/sa into what it should be from the factory. Price is reasonable and turn around time is quick.

Seconded. Highly recommended...including for HK's.

----------------------------------------
“The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”

Posts: 1475 | Location: RR12 | Registered: February 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
Great post, grumpy1.

Thanks dehughes. Smile

I have no idea why the P30L has a lighter hammer spring but it might have something to do with the longer and heavier slide/barrel/RSA on the P30L or it could be to meet a spec in the contract HK originally created the P30L for.

If you put they P30 hammer spring in the P30L the DA trigger pull weight would increase.

Sorry, yeah, meant the opposite...a P30L spring in a P30. Thanks!

Maybe I'll contact Lazy Wolf...I'm geographically close and love excuses to drive out into the country. Plus, Gray Guns moved out to the coast...even farther from me.

Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
Lazy wolf without question.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7935 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For Hk work I think Rick Holm at Lazy wolf is the way to go, though I have no experience with the others mentioned. Rick is pretty busy and turn around is not quick, but the work is amazing.

p229Extreme/P226Tac-Ops/P226 Extreme/P226 SAO) P226 X-5 Blue Moon/P226 X-5 Black and White

Posts: 750 | Registered: March 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A free people ought not
only to be armed, but disciplined
Picture of prpratt
posted Hide Post
This weekend I installed the new GrayGuns reduced reset parts on a p2000, a p30s, and p30ls. The reset was my biggest complaint with the da/sa HK trigger and these kits improve it greatly and were easy enough to install once you figure out where the included roll pin goes, it replaces the roll pin the sear.

Posts: 360 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the help!

__________________Making Good People Helpless . . . Will Not Make Bad People Harmless!___________________

Posts: 1731 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: May 26, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post