SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    P226 Stainless no frame marks other than serial#
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Chris Orndorff, LDD
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
P226 Stainless no frame marks other than serial# Login/Join 
Member
posted
Hi, I’ll try and post a photo asap but need help on understanding the model I’m looking at buying. Local guy has a Sig Sauer P226 Stainless, SigArms Inc. Exeter NH on left side and no markings on right side at all except the frame has a UU603xxx serial. And neither frame or slide “look” stainless. Early US? No frame markings? Thanks for shedding any light before I think of buying it.
 
Posts: 120 | Location: Ohio | Registered: February 08, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
"UU" is a US made frame. You can check for stainless steel with a magnet-it will stick.
 
Posts: 11555 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Well, he might be talking about the slide being stainless. Even with the nitron finish, the milled slides are made of stainless. Though the frame is a different story. If black, I’d bet it’s aluminum alloy. Can’t say I’ve heard of a stainless frame with a factory finish on it. And why would you want to add an aftermarket finish to the stainless frame?

ETA: just checked my ‘94 P229 cuz I thought I remember it being stamped “stainless” and it is, as is my ‘98. Both are nitron finished.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: BuddyChryst,


------------------------------------------------
Charter member of the vast, right-wing conspiracy
 
Posts: 1626 | Registered: June 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Here's a photo of the left side. Right side has no markings on frame or slide other than the UU603XXX serial to indicate USA made frame. What year? 1998 or so? Early UU? I'll have to ask him to try the magnet if he can.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=161vsgCeQe78rGn6y3PaAO_0gBZ9Nx2yq  

 
Posts: 120 | Location: Ohio | Registered: February 08, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rogerwilco:
Here's a photo of the left side. Right side has no markings on frame or slide other than the UU603XXX serial to indicate USA made frame. What year? 1998 or so? Early UU? I'll have to ask him to try the magnet if he can.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=161vsgCeQe78rGn6y3PaAO_0gBZ9Nx2yq  



Your picture isn't posting properly but I was able to use your (non-hyperlinked) URL to see the pic. A friendly reminder that if you want good info you need to provide good info. Wink

What you have there is an early non-rail P226 with a stainless steel slide. I can't be certain without more info but would assume it is a standard alloy frame. Can't be certain from the pic but the grip plates appear to be stippled.

You say the right side doesn't have any markings but I would think that in addition to the SN it should have the mfr./ import mark, something along the lines of SIGARMS INC EXETER NH. Does it not have this roll marked?

We don't have a good list for UU guns but I think 1998 is a good ball park date. I recently tried to sell a nice German framed P226 on the forum that was from that vintage, almost a mirror image to the one pictured, but no takers and I sold it locally.

Although not without any flaws I've owned enough P226 from various eras to believe that the ones from this era tend to have good machining and show fewer tool marks that are less pronounced. (assuming it is not refinished) the Nitron finish (slide) from this era tends to be hard and, aesthetically speaking, I prefer its smooth texture...but sometimes the Nitron is too hard...you want to inspect the barrel finish and smilies closely, in addition to the frame rails Wink
 
Posts: 4495 | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BuddyChryst:
Well, he might be talking about the slide being stainless. Even with the nitron finish, the milled slides are made of stainless. Though the frame is a different story. If black, I’d bet it’s aluminum alloy. Can’t say I’ve heard of a stainless frame with a factory finish on it.Anybwhy would you want to add an aftermarket finish to the stainless frame?

ETA: just checked my ‘94 P229 cuz I thought I remember it being stamped “stainless” and it is, as is my ‘98. Both are nitron finished.


Although I wouldn't call it common there are at least a few different all stainless steel P226 models with a SIG factory Nitron finish on both the slide and frame.
 
Posts: 4495 | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Thanks.

But, yes, no roll mark on the frame. That's what I found odd. Just the serial number in the usual place.

He said he'll check it with a magnet when he gets home tonight so at least we can see that. If he's OK with showing the number I'll post the other side or 'shop it out.

(And I'll work on placing images on this forum better. Thanks)
 
Posts: 120 | Location: Ohio | Registered: February 08, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rogerwilco:
Thanks.

But, yes, no roll mark on the frame. That's what I found odd. Just the serial number in the usual place.

He said he'll check it with a magnet when he gets home tonight so at least we can see that. If he's OK with showing the number I'll post the other side or 'shop it out.

(And I'll work on placing images on this forum better. Thanks)


Over the years I seem to recall seeing a couple P226 with the frame markings on the left side of the frame but I don't have any experience with U.S. made frames from this era so maybe that was the format at that time.

I was more commenting on the fact that in your original post, as there were no pictures, a more helpful description would have included the fact that it was a non-rail gun, as well as a short extractor slide...but having a good pic that was hyperlinked would have been helpful also as it took me 15 minutes to copy the link on my crappy small screen phone just to see the pic. Smile

Although far from being 100% accurate, if you are dead set on nailing down the mfr. date you could check the grip plate date codes...although grips are easily swapped.

Also, keep in mind that it's possible that the frame and slide were mated together from different guns and may not be original to each other. Depending on what you are looking for this may not be a bad thing.
 
Posts: 4495 | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Sounds just like one I have. Slide is marked "Sig Sauer P226 Stainless" then below the Stainless "Sig Arms INC. Exeter-NH-USA" Only markings on the frame is the Ser# U635XXX. Slide is stainless, frame is alloy. Magnet sticks to slide, but not the frame. Frame is non railed.

Grip panels are marked 8/2000

 
Posts: 1098 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of wgsigs
posted Hide Post
I guess I may be missing something, but since the "UU" serial number indicates the frame was made in the U.S. and stainless steel slides were also made here, there would be no need for any import marks. Early SIG stainless steel slides were stamped "Stainless", like on the left side of the OP's, to differentiate them from the pistols with the stamped carbon steel slides that SIG was still making at the time.

The manufacturer, SIGARMS, is also marked on the left side of the frame so I don't know what markings would be on the right side except for the serial number on the frame.

I don't see anything unusual about the markings, or lack of markings, on this gun.
 
Posts: 2741 | Location: Texas | Registered: July 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Military Arms Collector
Picture of darkest2000
posted Hide Post
I was able to view the pic by copying the original link. Looks like a normal P226.
 
Posts: 10634 | Location: Orange County, CA, USA | Registered: March 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wgsigs:
I guess I may be missing something, but since the "UU" serial number indicates the frame was made in the U.S. and stainless steel slides were also made here, there would be no need for any import marks. Early SIG stainless steel slides were stamped "Stainless", like on the left side of the OP's, to differentiate them from the pistols with the stamped carbon steel slides that SIG was still making at the time.

The manufacturer, SIGARMS, is also marked on the left side of the frame so I don't know what markings would be on the right side except for the serial number on the frame.

I don't see anything unusual about the markings, or lack of markings, on this gun.


I'm not sure if you were referencing my post or not but I used a slash (/) to differentiate between an import mark and a manufacturer's mark. I agree with you that, as a U.S. made frame and slide, that no import mark is required. But the O.P. claims that there are no markings on the right side of the frame other than the SN. The picture of the left side of the gun reveals the "stainless" marking as well as the manufacture's roll mark on the slide. I have other P226 lacking manufacturer's roll marks on the frame but these are West German guns with triple SNs and I assumed having the major components serialized together negated the need for a mfr.'s mark on the frame (so long as it appeared somewhere on one of the major parts)... but this being a U.S. made gun lacking the serialized slide or barrel I would've assumed the serialized frame would have required a mfr.'s mark...but perhaps I'm wrong.
 
Posts: 4495 | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by am94pm:
Sounds just like one I have. Slide is marked "Sig Sauer P226 Stainless" then below the Stainless "Sig Arms INC. Exeter-NH-USA" Only markings on the frame is the Ser# U635XXX. Slide is stainless, frame is alloy. Magnet sticks to slide, but not the frame. Frame is non railed.

Grip panels are marked 8/2000


Does your gun have the SN on the slide also or frame only?
 
Posts: 4495 | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of wgsigs
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Modern Day Savage:

I'm not sure if you were referencing my post or not but I used a slash (/) to differentiate between an import mark and a manufacturer's mark. I agree with you that, as a U.S. made frame and slide, that no import mark is required. But the O.P. claims that there are no markings on the right side of the frame other than the SN. The picture of the left side of the gun reveals the "stainless" marking as well as the manufacture's roll mark on the slide. I have other P226 lacking manufacturer's roll marks on the frame but these are West German guns with triple SNs and I assumed having the major components serialized together negated the need for a mfr.'s mark on the frame (so long as it appeared somewhere on one of the major parts)... but this being a U.S. made gun lacking the serialized slide or barrel I would've assumed the serialized frame would have required a mfr.'s mark...but perhaps I'm wrong.

I was just responding to the OP and the thread in general. It has been my experience that if SIGARMS is not the importer, then import marks are usually on the right side, either frame or slide. Also, I believe manufacturing markings for the frame are on the right right side, but almost all of the ones I have seen were made in Germany with ones made in the U.S. being blank as it is not required.

As for your question to am94pm, I don't believe there are any U.S. made P226s with serial numbers on any part other than the frame. The only SIGs assembled in the U.S. that have multiple serial numbers I am aware of were the early P229s with frames made in Germany.
 
Posts: 2741 | Location: Texas | Registered: July 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wgsigs:
As for your question to am94pm, I don't believe there are any U.S. made P226s with serial numbers on any part other than the frame. The only SIGs assembled in the U.S. that have multiple serial numbers I am aware of were the early P229s with frames made in Germany.

Plus, the US made and assembled SIGs that are destined for Germany have triple serial numbers. Pics are from the internet, except for the LDC (which is mine). Some of the US LDCs were kept at home (US).










Q


2016 MAGA ---> 2020 KAG
* P228 factoids *


 
Posts: 18222 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Owning one in .40, I'd chime in to say you have a standard stainless slide/alloy frame P226. The wear at the leading edge of the frame below the slide appears in your pic to be ever so slightly rounded from holster wear. My 226 has the same wear. I can't imagine stainless rounding that quickly.




"In America, there is no such thing as poor people, there are lazy people."- Edmond's dad
 
Posts: 10743 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Modern Day Savage:
Does your gun have the SN on the slide also or frame only?


Yes serial number only on the frame.
 
Posts: 1098 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wgsigs:
quote:
Originally posted by Modern Day Savage:

I'm not sure if you were referencing my post or not but I used a slash (/) to differentiate between an import mark and a manufacturer's mark. I agree with you that, as a U.S. made frame and slide, that no import mark is required. But the O.P. claims that there are no markings on the right side of the frame other than the SN. The picture of the left side of the gun reveals the "stainless" marking as well as the manufacture's roll mark on the slide. I have other P226 lacking manufacturer's roll marks on the frame but these are West German guns with triple SNs and I assumed having the major components serialized together negated the need for a mfr.'s mark on the frame (so long as it appeared somewhere on one of the major parts)... but this being a U.S. made gun lacking the serialized slide or barrel I would've assumed the serialized frame would have required a mfr.'s mark...but perhaps I'm wrong.

I was just responding to the OP and the thread in general. It has been my experience that if SIGARMS is not the importer, then import marks are usually on the right side, either frame or slide. Also, I believe manufacturing markings for the frame are on the right right side, but almost all of the ones I have seen were made in Germany with ones made in the U.S. being blank as it is not required.

As for your question to am94pm, I don't believe there are any U.S. made P226s with serial numbers on any part other than the frame. The only SIGs assembled in the U.S. that have multiple serial numbers I am aware of were the early P229s with frames made in Germany.


It sounds like we are all in agreement that the U.S. made SIGs produced for domestic sale don't include SN parts other than the frame. The reason I asked am94pm about SN on the P226 he posted a pic of it is that his post indicates that it was a German made gun but did not have any mfr's. mark on the frame. The P226 German framed gun (frame SN only) I mentioned selling previously is just a year or two earlier than am94pm's but my P226 most definitely does have the mfr's. mark on the right side of the frame.



Of the several P226 that I've owned I've only owned one U.S. (UU) made one. I just rechecked a picture of it and, as you say, it didn't include any mfr's. mark on the right side, either the frame or slide, but did have the mfr. mark on the left side of the slide. Somehow, until this thread, it escaped my notice that the U.S. made P226 frames, at least from this era, didn't include any mfr's. mark...it seems rather strange to me that, considering that handgun frames in the U.S. are generally required to to be the serialized part, that they wouldn't also be required to have the mfr's. mark as well... I'm a sucker for proof marks and triple SN guns but I have to admit that I like the "clean" look of the U.S. made SIG frames and slides from this era without all the extra roll marked info on them. At least SIG hasn't resorted to stamping all the various safety warnings on their guns, like some other mfrs. have.
 
Posts: 4495 | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by am94pm:
quote:
Originally posted by Modern Day Savage:
Does your gun have the SN on the slide also or frame only?


Yes serial number only on the frame.


Thanks for the confirmation. I find it odd that your German framed P226 doesn't include any mfr's. mark on the frame.
 
Posts: 4495 | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of wgsigs
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
quote:
Originally posted by wgsigs:
As for your question to am94pm, I don't believe there are any U.S. made P226s with serial numbers on any part other than the frame. The only SIGs assembled in the U.S. that have multiple serial numbers I am aware of were the early P229s with frames made in Germany.

Plus, the US made and assembled SIGs that are destined for Germany have triple serial numbers. Pics are from the internet, except for the LDC (which is mine). Some of the US LDCs were kept at home (US).


I knew you would find the exceptions and correct me. Big Grin
 
Posts: 2741 | Location: Texas | Registered: July 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
  Powered by Social Strata Page 1 2  
 

SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    P226 Stainless no frame marks other than serial#

© SIGforum 2019