SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Colt 1911 "Dragon" .38 Super... what the
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Colt 1911 "Dragon" .38 Super... what the Login/Join 
Picture of CandyMan.45
posted
F ?!

https://grabagun.com/colt-fire...38-super-5-engr.html

Just got this in an email blast and was like:

1. why and what the distributor was thinking commissioning this.

2. Who is there targeted demographic for this ?

3. Am I the only 1 that thinks it's gaudy & Fugly rolled into 1 ?!

Posts: 1242 | Location: The Edge of Nowhere... | Registered: April 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
This is gun as display piece. None of these will ever be fired. I consider this concept to be a mistake. But there are people who like them. They may have collectible value.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
Colt makes A LOT of ornate guns like that in 38 Super. I almost bought one about 6 years ago, looked pretty tasteful, and the price wasn't too bad at about $1800. Well last time I looked they were all going for over $4500. The Colt 38 Super has some history in Mexico as they are not allowed to own military calibers over there. I guess the Mexicans like their guns gussied up.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
There have been innumerable guns offered to the public with decorations like that, but also equally nonutilitarian versions that “commemorate” everything from wars to movie actors. There are obviously people who buy them otherwise they wouldn’t be produced continually. Only a tiny percentage of all gun owners would have to buy one to sell 500.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Some class-less Cartel member (or want-to-be) will snatch that up.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8321 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
“Everyone to their own taste, said the old woman as she kissed the cow”

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The grips look kinda cool, but everything else? No, thanks.

quote:
Originally posted by mbinky:
Colt makes A LOT of ornate guns like that in 38 Super. I almost bought one about 6 years ago, looked pretty tasteful, and the price wasn't too bad at about $1800. Well last time I looked they were all going for over $4500. The Colt 38 Super has some history in Mexico as they are not allowed to own military calibers over there. I guess the Mexicans like their guns gussied up.

I remember those. I think one was called the "El Presidente"...brightly polished stainless steel in a GI configuration with mother-of-pearl grips.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." Sherlock Holmes

Posts: 1286 | Registered: February 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
If Saddam had a 1911...

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3771 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CandyMan.45
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CPD SIG:
Some class-less Cartel member (or want-to-be) will snatch that up.

Funny you bring this up... official model # is O2091MEX

Posts: 1242 | Location: The Edge of Nowhere... | Registered: April 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
For some reason, I have always wanted a pimped out shiney 1911 in .38 Super.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11749 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It would look ok with just the grips and a polished slide. No bling bling.

Posts: 49 | Location: Texas | Registered: April 08, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Texas BBQ gun.

Posts: 875 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: May 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rev. A. J. Forsyth
posted Hide Post
I sell these. I can tell you that the demand is something like the furby craze in the 90s. Dealers sell them for above MSRP. sometimes as much as $500 or more. They are part of a TALO series of guns. Aztec Jaguar, etc. They are allocated out at the distributor side. Only the best accounts get offered them.

Posts: 1639 | Location: Winston-Salem  | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rev. A. J. Forsyth
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1639 | Location: Winston-Salem  | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prince of Cats
Picture of matthew03
posted Hide Post
Dragon Cartel? All their sicarios will want one.

---------------------------------------
www.AppalachianConcealment.com

Posts: 6555 | Location: S.W. Virginia | Registered: March 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's ugly as hell, but has Mexico written all over it and probably the reason it's in .38 super, they can't import .45 there.

The only Talo I really kick myself for not buying was a polished deep blued gold cup national match with burl grips they did about 10 years ago. I could've gotten a deal on one for $969 and immediately they were selling for over $1200 a few weeks later and much more.

https://www.bing.com/images/se...edIndex=4&ajaxhist=0

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^

Yeah, that one is beautiful! Most of the rest... Frown

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
MEX001 - MEX500

Well the serial numbers give it away too...

I wonder if this is just a joke.

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39716 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’m genuinely surprised that sig hasn’t beaten them to it

Posts: 3369 | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I started with nothing,
and still have most of it
Picture of stiab
posted Hide Post
You would have to understand that the 1911 in Super .38 (as it was originally called) has a long history of fancy and ornate models, and there is definitely a demand for them. It would not sell in any other caliber.

"While not every Democrat is a horse thief, every horse thief is a Democrat." HORACE GREELEY

Posts: 1857 | Location: Central NC | Registered: May 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post