SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Oil vs Grease
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Oil vs Grease Login/Join 
posted
Here is different look at the age old debate. Many think that grease will capture and retain residue and contaminants. Does not oil do the same thing? A gun is not a closed system like a car engine. The oil can’t remove the contaminants in a gun. If you oil your slide rails, where does the contamination go?

Posts: 22 | Location: Pittsburgh  | Registered: October 02, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who else?
Picture of Jager
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2568 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: October 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
I like grease because it tends to stay where I put it. I even use grease (Slip 2000 EWG) on my Beretta 87T, though most folks use oil on .22 pistols. My 87T cycles perfectly. I shoot Aguila Pistol Match, which, at 925 FPS, is at the low end of standard velocity.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8951 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
Is this for use in BEAR COUNTRY?

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
It is not like the contaminants are diamond dust or even bits of steel. IMO the who contaminant thing is way overblown. I use both oil and grease with no worries.

Posts: 9747 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Grease for an extended range session, not for carry. For carry I'd use Hornady One Shot. It's a CLP that leaves a dry lube that doesn't attract contaminants. It also tested very well.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
For me it depends on the gun and what part of the gun. I mostly use grease on a Sig and I mostly use oil on a Glock. When it comes to an AR15, there are parts I use oil and other parts I use a type of lubricant and can’t think of off the top of my head.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8668 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Veteran of the
Psychic Wars
posted Hide Post
For me, it is grease (for both, the P226 and the AR).

Posts: 1296 | Location: The end of the Earth... | Registered: March 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
ENOS Slide Glide (Lite viscosity) year around for me. It works in cold and AZ summers without running off. A drop of SLIP2000 or FP10 on internals.

Beware of a man whose only pistol is a 1911, he's probably very good with it.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have been using grease for decades and never had any issues with the grease collecting debris and causing a storage. In fact, I purposely over grease, work the action, than wipe off the excess from the out portion of the pistol. I use any white lithium grease and apply with an inexpensive syringe. I concentrate on the rails, barrel, inside of the slide where the barrel contacts, and every other contact point.
Th validate my process, a few years ago, my friend and I purchased brand new S&W 1911sc's. He cleaned the pistol, but didn't use grease, just some light gun oil. He fired 100 rounds and upon taking the slide off the alloy frame, it looked like someone fired 5,000 rounds through it! The black anodizing was severely worn from the frame rails. OUCH!
I cleaned my new sc, and greased the heck out of the frame rails and any other place I think it needed it. Here I am at over 4,000 rounds and nay any wear. Yes, there is very slight wear, but that's it. Upon inspection, you would think it had no more than 100 rounds or so through it.
I have been over greasing all my autos and they look new, even after 40+ years.
Now, in a concealed carry situation, I do over grease and wipe off the exterior excess. Never any malfunctions of any type. And I may go weeks in between shooting and cleaning them.

Posts: 970 | Location: Virginia | Registered: August 03, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Learn it, know it, live it
Picture of 1lowlife
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by az4783054:
ENOS Slide Glide (Lite viscosity) year around for me. It works in cold and AZ summers without running off. A drop of SLIP2000 or FP10 on internals.

Same here, I use it on all my firearms.
I keep one in my gun tool box and one on my work bench.
I use it for all kinds of stuff.

Posts: 4360 | Location: Great State of TEXAS | Registered: July 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Grease is just oil with something extra to keep it in place.
If the gun gets dirty and the oil's still there it will grab that just like grease will.

Posts: 9508 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Learn it, know it, live it
Picture of 1lowlife
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
Grease is just oil with something extra to keep it in place.
If the gun gets dirty and the oil's still there it will grab that just like grease will.

If the oil is still there..

Years ago I only used oil.
I'd shoot a firearm, clean it, and put it the safe.
Over time the oil evaporated and the gun was dry.

I currently have guns in the safe that still have the Slide Glide that I put on rails over 3 years ago.

I like that I can pick up any firearm in my safe(s) and know that it is adequately lubricated and ready to go.

Posts: 4360 | Location: Great State of TEXAS | Registered: July 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use both. Grease on slide rails and oil everywhere else.

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:
Grease for an extended range session, not for carry.

I live in Florida. It was 94 degrees yesterday. I grease every gun I own, and find it superior to gun oil, that evaporates or disappears. I can lube up my carry gun today with grease and it will still be perfectly lubricated a year from now if I carry it for the next 365 days and don’t clean it. If I use gun oil on my carry guns, then they are dry and practically unlubricated after 30-60 days.

So I STRONGLY disagree with your premise that grease is not for carry. If you lived in the arctic, sure, but at least for me, in south Florida, I find grease to be absolutely superior to gun oil. ESPECIALLY on carry guns. I also like that any gun that I remove from the safe, even one that I last cleaned and lubricated 5 years ago, is still lubricated perfectly. Had I used gun oil, they would be bone dry.

Posts: 6661 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Imagination and focus
become reality
posted Hide Post
I've used Weapon Shield CLP for many years with good results. I don't have any super long range sessions and I check my weapons every few months to make sure they still have some lube on them. The oil works fine for my purposes.

Posts: 6619 | Location: Northwest Indiana | Registered: August 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
As a very general rule, I use grease unless I have to use oil. Oil is needed if you have to circulate it, can't reach or penetrate what you're lubricating without disassembly, or cleaning something.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16349 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of elberettas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ogie:
I've used Weapon Shield CLP for many years with good results. I don't have any super long range sessions and I check my weapons every few months to make sure they still have some lube on them. The oil works fine for my purposes.

Same here!

Posts: 1958 | Location: San Diego, CA | Registered: July 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fyimo
posted Hide Post
I use Slide Glide on my Sig's.

Freedom Is Not Free And Is Paid For By Our Military.
VFW Member
NRA Life Member 042722999
SWCA

Posts: 9186 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: July 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vote the
BASTIDS OUT!
Picture of yanici
posted Hide Post
I used to use Slip 2000 EWG grease on the slide but changed to their EWL30 oil instead. It's a bit heavier oil than the regular Slip 2000 EWL oil. It makes cleaup a lot easier. I hated cleaning the grease. The wear on the slide and frame are still nonexistent. Good stuff.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: yanici,

John

"Building a wall will violate the rights of millions of illegals." [Nancy Pelosi]

Posts: 2409 | Location: N.E. Massachusetts | Registered: June 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post