SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    1982 9mm P220 question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

1982 9mm P220 question Login/Join 
posted
Hello, first time poster here. Caught the Signess a few years ago when I bought my first P226. Anyway, looking at buying a 9mm P220. 1982 date code (JC), and serial number falls inline with the date chart on the stickied thread (G124---). It had the spur hammer, flat take down lever and heel mag release. My confusion is that on the slide it says "Sigarms inc Exeter NH." Is this correct? I thought Sig didn't move to NH til the early 90's. Thank you for any help and pointers.

Posts: 4 | Registered: June 12, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
Where did you see the date code?

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hjs157
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bumpskiis:
Hello, first time poster here. Caught the Signess a few years ago when I bought my first P226. Anyway, looking at buying a 9mm P220. 1982 date code (JC), and serial number falls inline with the date chart on the stickied thread (G124---). It had the spur hammer, flat take down lever and heel mag release. My confusion is that on the slide it says "Sigarms inc Exeter NH." Is this correct? I thought Sig didn't move to NH til the early 90's. Thank you for any help and pointers.

Yes, there are indeed JC coded 9mm P220's from this era with the Exeter import address. It is believed these pistols were from a police/military contract overrun and were imported many years later - after SIG moved their headquarters to Exeter in ~1990.

Posts: 3505 | Location: Western PA | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hjs157:
quote:
Originally posted by bumpskiis:

Yes, there are indeed JC coded 9mm P220's from this era with the Exeter import address. It is believed these pistols were from a police/military contract overrun and were imported many years later - after SIG moved their headquarters to Exeter in ~1990.

This man knows what he's talking about. Cool

Q

Posts: 26352 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hello and welcome to the forum. The short answer to your question is "yes" it is correct. It's most likely old stock imported later to Exeter. I'm sure others may have more information. Here's what i persomally own that will show an overlap in build dates and import dates indicating old stock imported later. All these are 9mm in serial number order(JC 1982 serial G1197.. Herndon VA) (JD 1983 serial G1248.. Exeter NH, Blue cardboard box marked)(JD 1983 serial G1252.. Exeter NH)(JD 1983 serial G1256.. Tyson Corner VA, Blue cardboard box marked)added While i was typing others already answered.

Posts: 560 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: February 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
I own a P220 just as you describe. My specific serial number was verified to have been built in Eckernforde as a 9mm in 1982. Beyond that, not much is known. It is believed that these were in a lot of guns held in bonded storage due to a litigated contract and were then released for import to the US.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Awesome. Thank you for the info.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WARPIG602:
Where did you see the date code?

Date code is at the front of the slide in line with the two proof marks.

Picture of hjs157
posted Hide Post
Some, but not all of these later imports were marked with the mysterious "ASSEMBLED BY RPS".

Posts: 3505 | Location: Western PA | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
SIGARMS sometimes brought in pistols from Europe two or three years after their proof date. I have something like this in my collection, I think. I'll have to check my inventory list.

So, yes, you can find '82-proofed pistols marked Tysons Corner and '84-proofed pistols marked Exeter. Not common, but not that unusual, either.

This ignores all this "RPS" stuff, which is a different deal altogether.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107507 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Buy it!

Um, wait... What was the question again???

Posts: 9144 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by .38supersig:
Buy it!

lol, I'm going for it. Birthday present to myself. This one doesn't have the "Assembled by RPS" on it.