SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    SIG P210A – trigger and sights
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

SIG P210A – trigger and sights Login/Join 
SIG-Sauer
Anthropologist
posted
I’m interested in some technical information about this new pistol, especially about the trigger action. I’m aware that it’s not removable, but parts compare with the original design. Is it the same or did SIGSauer USA modify the action? Is the adjustment plate (Druckpunktplatte) for the second stage still present?

How did SIGSauer solve the overtravel stop for the trigger. Is it the same as in the EU Version of the -5/-6/Legend?

Is the front sight removable? Can it be replaced with a standard SIGSauer contrast sight?

I’m looking for a schematic parts list as well. There is non in the manual I could find online, but is there some information where it can be found. Thanks for your feedback.

Posts: 3775 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: January 24, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tooky13
posted Hide Post
I'll let someone more knowledgeable comment on the trigger, but I can say the front sight is certainly removable. As you can see in the photo, it appears to be a typical dovetail where the sight can be pushed out. Don't know if there's a standard contrast sight available.

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.
Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1311 | Location: Scottsdale, Arizona | Registered: December 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
3° that never cooled
Picture of rock185
posted Hide Post
Hello OTD, The front sight of American P210A appears to have the same dovetail dimensions as my Swiss and German 210s. I've not attempted to interchange sights, but the dovetails look the same to me. By the "trigger action", do you mean the en-bloc hammer/sear mechanism like the Swiss and German 210s have? If so, the action housing is removable just as with the Swiss and German versions. The component parts of the action housing appear to perform the same functions as on the Swiss and German guns. The over-travel stop of the 210A appears to be the same type slotted screw as on my P210-6. The P210A side button magazine release is relieved internally in order to access the trigger stop through the frame from the rear. I don't know exactly which part the adjustment plate/Druckpunkplatte is, but I'd think that if it is on the earlier guns, it's probably present on the P210As. The lock up is changed, but I don't think SIG USA attempted to "reinvent the wheel" with the mechanical design of the new guns. Everything, other than the barrel/slide lock up design, seems very similar, and familiar, to me. For instance, the P210A slide effortlessly slides on my P210-6 frame, and fits just as precisely as the original slide. I've not attempted any detailed disassembly of these guns to confirm what is the same, similar or changed, beyond the barrel/slide lock-up. This is all just the non-expert observations of an owner of Swiss, German and American P210s.

Hope this information is somewhat relevant to what you're asking.

NRA Life

Posts: 1564 | Location: Under the Tonto Rim | Registered: August 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIG-Sauer
Anthropologist
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the detailed answer. It was the information I was actually looking for. Until now I was not aware of the removability of the hammer action. It has not been mentioned in all the reports about the US type P210 so I assumed it had a conventional trigger using the frame as bearing for the hammer axis.
The torque of the „Druckpunktplatte“ or „Druckpunkthebel or „double pull lever“ defines the resistance of the second stage.

Posts: 3775 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: January 24, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
3° that never cooled
Picture of rock185
posted Hide Post
OTD, the trigger of the P210A has the same double pull action of the other versions. My digital trigger pull gauge indicates it takes about 2 1/2 pounds of pressure to cam the hammer back, then another pound, or slightly less, pressure to drop the hammer. These numbers are quite similar to the non-USA P210 examples I have.

NRA Life

Posts: 1564 | Location: Under the Tonto Rim | Registered: August 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
Re: “I don't think SIG USA attempted to "reinvent the wheel" with the mechanical design of the new guns. Everything, other than the barrel/slide lock up design, seems very similar, and familiar, to me.”

The safety mechanism has been radically changed, for the better, I think.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8951 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIG-Sauer
Anthropologist
posted Hide Post
Thanks again. After your description I assumed it having a two stage trigger. First stage and second stage are controlled seperatly. For the first stage (slack) it´s spring. For the second stage (wall) it´s the spring loaded double pull lever aka Druckpunktplatte. It´s unique and allows to adjust trigger weitht by the ounce. It pretty neat if you want to adjust to over all weight close to the minimum. The total trigger weith in mine - a sporterized P49 - is just a bit over 3 lbs (1400g).

SIG-Sauer
Anthropologist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
The safety mechanism has been radically changed, for the better, I think.

Not that I´m aware of. The axis for the safty lever is still at the same place. It being less stiff has something to do with the spring force of the lever. Beinding the lever a bit outwards - on the original pattern - will decrease its resistance dramatically. I fixed that on my P49 as well. New, since the introduction of the Legend is the firing pin safety.

3° that never cooled
Picture of rock185
posted Hide Post
Pipe Smoker, wasn't thinking about the thumb safety, but I agree. The new safety feels much more natural to a 1911 guy.

OTD, the SIG USA thumb safety blocks the trigger bar just as on the previous guns, but the axis for the lever is situated further to the rear (more like a 1911). The lever itself is shaped differently and the mechanical details are different. It appears to be the type as used on the German Legend Super Target guns....

NRA Life

SIG-Sauer
Anthropologist
posted Hide Post
thanks again for the detailed and intesting information. Is there any other details SIGSauer changed in the US version?

posted Hide Post
My new unfired USA SIG P210 Target pistol drops the hammer when trigger pulled from what feels like a weak single action safety notch. Is this normal behavior with safety either on or off?

Posts: 2 | Registered: March 06, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I haven't seen an American yet, but my Switzer -6 has a non captive "safety stop" like the Colt Series 80. It will pull off the safety stop with the thumb safety off. It will not pull off the safety stop with the thumb safety engaged. Although I vaguely recall reading that it might on some guns. But why are you in that position anyhow?

Posts: 3287 | Location: Florence, Alabama, USA | Registered: July 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm not in any position. Just checking trigger function. Thank you.

Posts: 2 | Registered: March 06, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIG-Sauer
Anthropologist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Watson:
......Although I vaguely recall reading that it might on some guns.....

I think you are refereing to P210 pistols made in the late 40´s early 50´s. Pistols of that era did not have a hammer safety intercept notch. Later pistols came with the hammer intercept notch. There might be the difference you have in mind.

What feels like a weak intecept notch is normal for a P210 pistol. Comparing with a Colt, the notch is placed in a different position close to the end positon of the hammer spring, In this postiton the hammer spring has very little lift and it feels weak for that reason. What is beeing experienced is the weight of the first stage plus the minimal weight of the hammer spring.

3° that never cooled
Picture of rock185
posted Hide Post
Radix, OTD is correct. Normal.

NRA Life