SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    P225A1 FTF issues...need advice
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P225A1 FTF issues...need advice Login/Join 
posted
So i have been on a leave frodm gun purchasing this past year with a new addition to the family. I recently was able to pick up a NIB P225A1 as my first purchase in well over a year. The decision thanks in no small part to reviews on here....

Anyway, I brought it home, gave it a nice cleaning, then off to test it out. Gun feels great, very nice trigger, as expected. Ran flawlessly with all the ball ammo I put through it. So i go to test my carry load for shorter barrels, 115 gr critical defense. First round chambers and goes off without a hitch. Second round chambers and bang, all good. Go to fire third round and find the slide open, the nose of the round is jammed on the ramp of the locking block.
I have never had an issue like this with any of my other sigs or glocks.
First thought is that it may be magazine related. Purchase 3 more mags and put them through their paces with the original two that came with the gun. Occasionally I can get through a whole mag without issue, but more often then not, one of the middle rounds jams up aainst the locking block feed ramp. There is no consistent culprit with regards to the magazines.
So i try other defensive loads in various weights thinking maybe it just doesnt like the critical duty. Hang ups result on all of them.
So i come to the forum looking for advise...should i try and fix myself by polishing the ramp and see if that helps?
Do I contact sig, because this should not be happening with a new firearm?
Or do i try and purchase a new locking block as this one may be out of spec? I'm not a pistol genius, but when comparing the way the barrel and locking block line up in the 225a1 to my 226, 228, 220 etc, it just looks different.

Any sugggestions or help would be greatly appreciated.

"No more 'I have to go to the bathroom'. There is no bathroom!!"

Posts: 216 | Location: SC | Registered: November 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
Call SIG CS. They will fix it.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree with Soggy, calling Sig should be your first step.

Laughing in the face of danger is all well and good until danger laughs back.

Posts: 496 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: July 08, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bobandmikako
posted Hide Post
I'd definitely contact Sig. Your P225A1 should run Critical Defense and other standard defensive rounds.

十人十色

Posts: 2103 | Location: Semmes, Alabama | Registered: June 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sounds good, thanks

Posts: 216 | Location: SC | Registered: November 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Easiest and quickest thing is to try different ammo. Sig now makes a line that will surely work in all their pistols. And the old standby is Federal 9BP, or 9BPLE. Rounded noses, that stuff seems to feed in anything, even early P6s with the old shape feed ramp. DO NOT make any mods to the pistol yourself. It's under warranty from Sig, so if it really needs repair let them do it free.

Posts: 1642 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: June 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
FWIW (yes, I'm extrapolating), the same thing happened consistently when I tried to feed CorBon loads through a 220 in .38 Super.

The smart thing to do is unquestionably to let SIG handle it before you try to do anything yourself. It is at least theoretically possible, though, that a combination of cartridge length and bullet shape may make some ammunition unsuitable for the 225A1.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by soggy_spinout:
Call SIG CS. They will fix it.

This.

Had same problem with Hornady CD. Gold Dots and Federal HST did fine but CD got stuck. Send it to SIG and they will fix it. Since I got it back I have had 2000+ consecutive rounds without a malfunction.

Posts: 54 | Registered: April 10, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great example of why you test your SD rounds in your gun. Sig can/will fix that.

Posts: 7460 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Watergoat:
Easiest and quickest thing is to try different ammo. Sig now makes a line that will surely work in all their pistols. And the old standby is Federal 9BP, or 9BPLE. Rounded noses, that stuff seems to feed in anything, even early P6s with the old shape feed ramp. DO NOT make any mods to the pistol yourself. It's under warranty from Sig, so if it really needs repair let them do it free.

I have tried several loads, including sig's hollow points....same result. I will definitely be calling sig. thanks

Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
I use HST with no problem. I'd try another brand or two, see if it consistent across brands. Does anyone know what SIG would use to test with? If so, maybe he can try to test with those beforehand to avoid getting a note back that says they could not duplicate the problem.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20815 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
I use HST with no problem. I'd try another brand or two, see if it consistent across brands. Does anyone know what SIG would use to test with? If so, maybe he can try to test with those beforehand to avoid getting a note back that says they could not duplicate the problem.

When I sent my P225-A1 back to SIG, with exactly this problem, they fixed it for me and fired WWB and Federal 9BP through it. They reported to me that all they did was to polish the feed ramp, nothing magic.

Posts: 54 | Registered: April 10, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post