SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Sig 220 Recommendations Please
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sig 220 Recommendations Please Login/Join 
Picture of Benderx4
posted
I'm in the market for a nice Sig 220 for range use only. I've already purchased a Sig 226 Legion SAO in 9mm and love it, amazing gun. So obviously I was about to "pull the trigger" on a 220 Legion SAO when I came across a couple other Sigs:

Sig X-6 (Lots of variations)
Sig 220 Super Match
Sig 220 Match Stainless Elite
Sig 220 LDC (Long Dust Cover)
Sig 220 Stainless Steel Elite
Sig 220 Sport

Normally, I would take the time, energy, effort, and enjoyment to purchase each of these and make a determination myself as to which pistol "fits" me best and allows me to shoot most comfortably and accurately.

But in this case, none of these 45s is cheap, not in any sense of the word. So my request to all you Sig aficionados out there that have experience with any of these above mentioned pistols - what do you think? Which one of the above did you end up with and why? (And yes, I am all about the trigger.)

Thank you in advance.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Benderx4,

Posts: 490 | Location: NE FL, JAX | Registered: July 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Sig X-5 (Lots of variations)
Sig 220 Super Match
Sig 220 Match Stainless Elite
Sig 220 LDC (Long Dust Cover)
Sig 220 Stainless Steel Elite
Sig 220 Sport

No recommendations, but,

- There are no X5 P220s that I'm aware of. Only X6 P220s. Anyway, be prepared to fork out a minimum of $4k for one. Minimum.

- First I've heard of a P220 LDC. P226 LDC, yes, but not P220 LDC. Interesting.

I have a P220 MSE that had GGI action work, plus some dehorning, that I bought from a member here, and it is sweet.

Q

Posts: 26350 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
You lost me when you said a .45...

Range use implies that you would be better served with a 9mm, .38 Super, or a 10mm.

Posts: 9142 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
45 works fine at the range and if that is your purpose get a P220X6.

Posts: 1253 | Location: Northern Nevada | Registered: December 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Of the options presented, I believe the Match Stainless Elite is going to be the most comfortable shooter.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
oddly since I'm normally a 9mm guy I have a few of these as once upon a time I tried to have a sig 'collection'.
Since you said you are all about 'the trigger' I'd just avoid any of the DA/SA choices. Since the ones in your list are out of production with varying degrees of difficulty getting parts (like an X series guns count me very annoyed) or don't exist (is there really a 220LDC???) the Legion SAO is probably your best choice.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10996 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by .38supersig:

Range use implies that you would be better served with a 9mm, .38 Super, or a 10mm.

Are you serious? How would he be better served with 38 Super or 10mm?

Posts: 239 | Registered: April 21, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’ll play. Here is how I would rate them:
1. P220 X-Six
2. P220 Legion SAO
3. P220 Super Match
4. P220 Match Elite
5. P220 SSE
Have not tried a Sport.
Also not aware of a P220 LDC.

Cathy

Posts: 302 | Registered: August 10, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I must be different than most. I hate the energy and process of chasing down common consumable parts across continents and paying silly money for simple parts and springs. I (mostly) own what's on that list (never seen a DLC)and as far as I can see there is no reason given the original post to buy an out of production, no spare parts, no support, exotic SIG. Been there am still there, and its not pretty. Don't do it.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10996 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mbacker_99:
quote:
Originally posted by .38supersig:

Are you serious? How would he be better served with 38 Super or 10mm?

Thinking a range use only P220 may have moderate yardage involved (self defense use may assumedly be closer).

Hell, I have more fun with my 10 and .38 anyway. I can get boxes of 38s all day long for $14 each and use the brass later. Tiles of various sizes are plentiful and cheap. Plus the 10 is better for shooting frozen water bottles, sample paint cans, and propane tanks. Big Grin

For the OP inquiry, if mostly used for paper targets, I'll add to ACP1's thought and say a 9mm P220 X-Six. Although I wouldn't argue against the Legion...

Posts: 9142 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Benderx4
posted Hide Post
Y'all are right, the LDC I was researching is, indeed, a P226, my mistake. So scratch that one off the list.

I didn't realize the X-6 was so exotic, but I agree, there is no reason to spend that kind of money on a pistol that I'll have trouble finding parts and support for.

As for the 45 caliber, I'm a big fan. Yes, I also shoot a ton of 9mm as well but there is something gratifying when shooting that big, slow, historic cartridge. Which is why I'm looking for another "range" 45, I'm wearing out my WC 1911.

So I think I've got it narrowed down to either the Legion SAO or the Super Match. They both have alloy frames, modified SRT trigger, beavertails, and hand massaging on the slide to frame fit and finish. Decisions, decisions?

Posts: 490 | Location: NE FL, JAX | Registered: July 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Benderx4:

So I think I've got it narrowed down to either the Legion SAO or the Super Match. They both have alloy frames, modified SRT trigger, beavertails, and hand massaging on the slide to frame fit and finish. Decisions, decisions?

If the P220 Legion SAO is as good as the P226 Legion SAO, I’d go for the Legion SAO over the Super Match. I would normally prefer the 5 inch barrel, but that Legion SAO trigger is preferable to the SAO trigger in the Super Match.

Cathy

Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
Of those listed, I like the Stainless Elite. I have longed for one, since their introduction.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36838 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
With those being the options available, I'd give the nod to the Super Match this time. While the Legion is a little more spendy (but not X-Six territory) a trip to Gray Guns could make the best of either one as your budget allows.

Unfortunately for me, I looked to find an LDC for myself as I am always try to have a decent perspective. Yup, Found one. Now all I have to do is convince myself that I didn't see that one and I don't need to buy it in the next two weeks...

Picture of Benderx4
posted Hide Post
P220 Legion SAO on order, thanks again!

posted Hide Post
Nice choice. There are so many options now on the P220 it is difficult to choose only one. I had a P220 Equinox years ago that I deeply regret selling, as it almost looks to pretty to shoot.

Posts: 6872 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
Great choice, IMO.

Please be sure to let us know how you like it.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36838 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Excellent choice! Congrats!

Cathy

posted Hide Post
Good choice! Enjoy!!

Posts: 875 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: May 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post